Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Rant : Stop forcing what you want to see in a track on other... 
Rant : Stop forcing what you want to see in a track on other people. Seriously.
Page: 1 of 6
Locked  0 Observer
Rant : Stop forcing what you want to see in a track on other people. Seriously.  
I need to reaffirm this to a few of you : Stop criticizing people for specific things in their tracks. If they made it, it was obviously their intention to make it that way. They're making maps for themselves and anyone who is interested, not for you specifically.

Recently I uploaded a map (this rant makes no sense unless I mention it), and it was criticized for the start being too long, and I even went out of my way to upload a map that cuts the start short. And yet I still got complaints. I had to sit through that same PF start the 100 times I spent testing it, and I still enjoyed it. That's the way I wanted the track to be, and I built the track for me. NOT YOU.

And what destroys me is that most of the complaints and criticisms I got came in the form of awards. Awards are awards. Have you ever seen anyone handed an Oscar and get told "Yeah, fantastic work there... uh except for that one part which I didn't particularly like. Good job though!"? They're awards. They're not your own little blog where you pretend to give feedback to the user but instead you end up just forcing your own ideals on the trackmaker.

Another thing, don't give feedback unless you know the author wants feedback. If you're giving me feedback it's probably likely that I've been playing this game a lot longer than you have, and I have a finer grasp on what I want to see in my map more than you. I don't want to hear it. Maybe you can give beginners feedback, but in all honesty, the best way for people to learn are to look at other maps and take and see what they like.

On a lighter note, this site is pretty baller other than it not working on Chrome.

(I'm going to preemptively address this because I know people are going to call me out on this, because god knows people are going to try to : If anyone wants to tie a connection between this post and the rant about transition maps I had on TMUX, that would be craaaaaaaaaazzzy yo. If you recall correctly, what I said was that I didn't mind that people made maps they liked, I just cared that those particular maps plagued BOTW).
Moped Racer

You make a good argument, but if you can build what you want in your track, then why can't other users say what they want in their awards?
Moped Racer

I think quite a lot of people know that I more than occasionally write feedback either in award form or in the comments, based on how I liked a certain track or other piece of work overall. So I feel that my opinion should count in this matter somewhat.

irondragons says:
I had to sit through that same PF start the 100 times I spent testing it, and I still enjoyed it. That's the way I wanted the track to be, and I built the track for me. NOT YOU.

I understand what people complained about on your map is purely a design choice, not a flaw. Yet, you forget about tracks which perhaps are made by drivers who are faster or slower than the average driver. Take for example a track has a jump which a faster driver can jump over a checkpoint placed in-between said jump. Sure, the author designed it according to their driving, but often it's good to point out things like this to the author so they can make a worthwhile improvement to the track for all drivers without sacrificing the author's ideas.

irondragons says:
And what destroys me is that most of the complaints and criticisms I got came in the form of awards. Awards are awards. Have you ever seen anyone handed an Oscar and get told "Yeah, fantastic work there... uh except for that one part which I didn't particularly like. Good job though!"? They're awards. They're not your own little blog where you pretend to give feedback to the user but instead you end up just forcing your own ideals on the trackmaker.

Comparing awards on this site to an oscar is ridiculous. It may be named an "award", but people are always saying "you award a track when you like it." I can still like a track which has flaws or a little part I don't prefer. I don't think I should have to write an award containing everything I like about it and then having to either write a comment about what I disliked or just keep that whole comment to myself.

In the case of criticizing your design choice of a PF start, that would be forcing ideals on the trackmaker, but if it's an a flaw which can be improved for everybody I honestly don't see what's wrong with giving that person feedback whether they wanted to hear it or not. It's ultimately their choice if they want to follow that feedback or just ignore it.

irondragons says:
Another thing, don't give feedback unless you know the author wants feedback. If you're giving me feedback it's probably likely that I've been playing this game a lot longer than you have, and I have a finer grasp on what I want to see in my map more than you. I don't want to hear it. Maybe you can give beginners feedback, but in all honesty, the best way for people to learn are to look at other maps and take and see what they like.

This is the part of your rant that really bothers me. I do agree with that last sentence, but even then there's always some things people are going to find to complain about, nobody is perfect that they can be so sure that every choice they made with a track is the best choice, no matter how long you've been playing the game. I realize your point is that you don't care what other people think of how you build tracks, but to discourage all people to not give feedback simply because the author didn't specify that he wanted any help doesn't make any sense to me. Why try to discourage the freedom of expressing what others think about the track when it actually might help someone, if even a little bit?

If you make tracks for only yourself, great, but if you are so disgusted that there's other who will disagree with you and not only giving out the "Nice track" or " :award: " awards, constantly praising all of your work and nothing else, then why even bother releasing them on MX? I know that's probably a stupid thing to say, but I don't see the point in making your tracks public if you don't care what anyone has to say or do with it.

Keep in mind I didn't try your track, but I did read the awards available there. I do think your choice to have a long PF start isn't something that every single person is ever going to like, therefore I think it is silly to complain about it. But there are things in tracks, by beginners and veterans of TM, that can occasionally be improved on for everyone, like the example I stated above, and I think it's a good thing to point things out like that, even if they didn't specify that they need feedback from others.
Last edited by NinjAstar,
G-kart Racer

People just don't like your map. Not all, probably, some. Not that I tried your map, but I hate long PF starts as well. If the rest of the track is still great I'd award it tho. Awards aren't Oscars >_>. If we want go give feedback we do it, there is no rule we shouldn't do so. You are still allowed not to read it tho.

Really, it's just our taste. Don't mow about our opinion by whining your opinion around.

Edit: total agree with Ninja btw.
Last edited by TGYoshi,
Segmentation fault

If you map only for YOU, why do you upload map in MX? :o Jus validate it, and say "woah, it's awesome" and keep it in your folders. If you upload it, that means you want feebacks from the people, don't you? If you don't, explain me what you expect from us testers.
Moped Racer

already polemic discussions...
Moped Racer

You got feedback. That's more than I can say so STFU. :p

Also, think about it this way: other people did not award this track because the start was too long, so you missed out on awards. At least this one had the courtesy of telling you what was wrong with your track.

FT»Joyeux says:
If you map only for YOU, why do you upload map in MX? :o Jus validate it, and say "woah, it's awesome" and keep it in your folders. If you upload it, that means you want feebacks from the people, don't you? If you don't, explain me what you expect from us testers.

Cool. I was called a sad person for claiming nobody makes tracks only for themselves. :p
Moped Racer

... says:
You got feedback.

yay. Some people complain everywhere because they don't get ANY feedback. and that's understable. And you complain because you got some? Where do we go? 8-|

... says:
Cool. I was called a sad person for claiming nobody makes tracks only for themselves. :p

Ofc you make your maps for your personnal pleasure, but isn't it obvious that you make maps for the others as well, if you upload them at TMX and MX? :p

Let's be honest with ourselves! =p

edit: Please lock this thread. :p
Last edited by FT»Joyeux,
Moped Racer

me talking (not the appointed moderator)

lol, i can't agree more about the 1st part of your ranting ID, there's a lot of "hey look, i can add a trackpiece here, cool a boost, now a sharp turn inside a mountain just because i can" tracks out there and only a few "hmm, if i add 1 more straight block before that last corner, i get slightly more speed to get that jump 30 seconds later a little smoother".

Personally i had a lot of fun with that 24 second pfstart. it's a lot better action wise than a 8-10 second straight line to gain speed.

And as all of us trackbuilders are exploring the new blocks, yours was a real eyeopener at what can be done with the boosts (especially in a backwards driving way)

A pfstart is often seen as a feature *(like a mini intro) rather than part of the track (the tense experience) and therefor rated seperate from the rest of a track. that's why it isn't that weird people mention disliking the px-start in their awards.

loves Foolspeed

perhaps saying that a person makes tracks for himself might not be the right thing
however, I can surely agree about the fact if you say that you build tracks the way YOU like, not what OTHERS like

that's also kinda the way I make them
if I start building, I have personal ideas in my mind, I'm not really trying to pleasure someone else in first case
building should come from your our heart, not from the spirit that someone else has
so for example, if someone tells you that he doesn't like the PF-start, well I wouldn't care at all
I mean, there's more tracks around on this site than just the track with that PF-start

if someone adds such a start, you can bet on it that the person did it intentionally, not just to see if people will like it or not
I remember the name irondragons since I've been on TM (so guess that's about 5-6 years)
don't want to chose any side, but however I do think that he knows what he's talking about
making tracks the way you like them isn't a bad thing, is it?

I thought the editor was invented to create your OWN tracks, not tracks with the ideas from OTHER people
what's actually the fun if you make tracks with ideas from somebody else?
I mean, that person can make the track himself if he really want his ideas in a track

just my thoughts ^^
You just lost the game ...
Page: 1 of 6 Locked
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem