Location: Home  Community Forums  Projects & Competitions  Public building project - CopyCats, i guess would be a fitti... 
Public building project - CopyCats, i guess would be a fitting name!
Page: 1 of 4
Post Reply  0 Observer
Public building project - CopyCats, i guess would be a fitting name!  
Hey there all of you!

Was in the shower this morning - apparentlywhere all the deepest thoughts and ideas come to me - and thought about how this forum and community could keep up the activity which has been going on for the past couple of weeks. It might have been done before, but here goes:

I see a lot of people complaining about other trackers "stealing" parts of their tracks, and using them in their own tracks and therefor gaining more awards because of originality and so on. I personally think that the tracks and ideas you share on public websites like this are everybodys property and the advantages of this shouldn't be looked upon as stealing, if you catch my drift. Just one thing clear, credit where credit is due, if you copy huge parts of a track.

But since this website is filled with so many amazing tracks - and more specific: parts of tracks - i thought it might be fun to combine these parts into one huge map. It's pretty much like the BASCO on the good ol' TMX, but with the trackparts built with parts you guys discovered in other tracks. For example, i love the start of Jockis's Valley map so i start out by posting a tracklink with the first 5-10 seconds of the track, and the next user then places the part he/she likes from another track to extend the tracklength. Of course, this has to be a part that sort of fits, so we don't end up using a fullspeed part, and then a hardcore karting part with sharp corners as the next one. Try to make it fit :).

So, to sum it all up:

• I start out the project by posting a map containing only the start i like.
  • The next user picks a part of a track, builds it in extension of the start i chose, and then post the download-link for it.
  • Repeat step 2

I'm not really sure how long it should be, but i guess it will take weeks/months before it will hit 1 minute, so it might just go on forever :)

Important stuff - please read!
- Do not use parts from your own tracks.
- Credit where credit is due. Link to the track and author you found your part from.
- If possible, try to make it fit the previous part, making it a smooth transition from one part to another.
- No matter how awesome the part you chose is, please copy only 2-10 seconds of it.
- There are no judges, and no process after posting your trackpart. No judging as the BASCO or MTC, the next user just takes over.
- You have to use the newest version of the track, posted by the latest user. I will try to update the list at the bottom of the post to keep it up to date. Also, when you post your link, it has to be the full track, not only your part.
- NEW (25/7). You are allowed to place blocks as guidance (signs, roads, platforms) around the section of the track you've chosen, as long as it does NOT affect the actual driving route and will not be a problem for the next builder.

That's pretty much it, i guess. Feel free to give some feedback or requests of change to this project, i just had to get the ideas down :). I'll start off:

First actual post here!
I love the start of this track. Not too much to say, it's quick, tight and different ( =p ). The track is Suburbia by Hitchui. It's worth a drive-through for sure!

The part i chose can be downloaded HERE! (Updated 24/7 2013 to dropbox-source)

Let's go!

Current list og trackversions (updated 25/7 2013):
Part 1 - Andisch
Part 2 - LMpfm
Part 3 - FT»Lodec
Part 4 - YOU!
Last edited by Andisch,
Learner Driver

i already had a pretty similar idea :p

i in for sure ;)
Beetle Racer

Sounds great! Might have missed it browsing through the forums then, but it seems like it never made it to the top of this forum then :(
Learner Driver

i didnt post my idea
so you missed nothing ;)
Beetle Racer

Ah, well then this is your chance! :)
Learner Driver

Sounds like a fun idea and I would really like to take part in it :) Just one question. Would the part that I like need to be copied one to one by the original map or can there be slight changes? E.g. if the part I think about is on ground level, can I rebuild it and use it like 1 or 2 levels higher, to make it fit in the map flow?
Moped Racer

i cant download the first part :/
Beetle Racer

@tcq
Glad you like it. I was not sure how to deal with that problem when i wrote the post either, but i guess it would be best to allow the builder/copycat to raise and lower the section, as long as it doesn't affect the driving route. For example with the sloped road (2 - 2 - 3) that have 2 different shapes depending on whether it's floating in the air or placed on the ground. When it's placed on the ground it becomes the steeper sloped block instead (2 - 2 - 4), which i do NOT think should be allowed. So to break it down:
Yes, you are allowed to change the level of the section, as long as it won't change the feel of the original part. You are NOT allowed to edit the path/level/whatevs IF it has an effect on the route, even if it gets a better flow :)

@Lodec
Sorry about that, used a horrible site. Updated the link in the description to a dropbox-source. You can download it here. Glad you guys like it, let's get this thing started! :)

Learner Driver

Okay, understood :) One more question. What about the mood (sunset/sunrise/day/)? Do we stick with the one of the original map (sunset in this case), or will this be changed afterwards to provide the best user experience? Would be important to know, because we can then take into account how the light falls on the track to create some atmosphere and to prevent bad shadowed sections.
Moped Racer

Hmm, since this is an ongoing project that probably never will be finished, i think we should just stick to the mood :)
Learner Driver
Page: 1 of 4 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem