Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Custom map/server textures not loading? 
Custom map/server textures not loading?
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Custom map/server textures not loading?  
So I have a map on my server (added it locally) and when the map is loaded I see a blue downloading bar at the top-right. But, when the bar disappears, nothing happens to my textures! I've tested the texture pack offline and it functions. Using a dropbox direct download link (which works via browser atleast) for the map mod url.

Also in RPG maps it can take like 3-5mins before the textures suddenly pop in.

Learner Driver

Are you sure the map uses custom textures? Does it saw in the Track details on MX that it uses a custom mod?

It's also possible it's just signs or custom skins/car models (for GPS) that are being downloaded. Those also show up as a blue bar at top right online.

If you know for sure it's a texture mod... usually restarting a couple times from start will make the mod appear. If not, you can leave the server and rejoin and the mod should appear. :p Not exactly the most user-friendly way.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

eyebo says:
Are you sure the map uses custom textures? Does it saw in the Track details on MX that it uses a custom mod?

It's also possible it's just signs or custom skins/car models (for GPS) that are being downloaded. Those also show up as a blue bar at top right online.

If you know for sure it's a texture mod... usually restarting a couple times from start will make the mod appear. If not, you can leave the server and rejoin and the mod should appear. :p Not exactly the most user-friendly way.

To clarify the issue:
1. On my desktop I made a map with custom URL mod, all textures were displayed during editing/driving
2. Uploaded the map to server
3. All textures are displayed on desktop
4. Joined the server on my laptop
5. Custom textures aren't showing, only default.

Probably because I didn't load up the map in the editor on my laptop. I did see a blue download bar and I did see it disappear. But, no special textures. After two restarts atleast.

Maybe my file is a bit large? It's 20MB in size, it's a direct link from Dropbox and uploaded on a free account.
Last edited by zenomex,
Learner Driver

If you put the direct link in your web browser, it downloads immediately, right? It can't open a webpage first.

Sounds like there's an issue with the locator.

I'd open the gbx file with gbxdump and see if the url is properly displayed in the file.
Site Leader

eyebo says:
If you put the direct link in your web browser, it downloads immediately, right? It can't open a webpage first.

Sounds like there's an issue with the locator.

I'd open the gbx file with gbxdump and see if the url is properly displayed in the file.

I'm using a .zip file, no clue how to convert it to .Gbx :(

Also, I didn't know what compress settings were needed for the .zip... the client didn't like mine so I grabbed one off the internet and emptied it :p

Will share my mod if everything is complete, btw :)
Last edited by zenomex,
Learner Driver

The Gbx I was referring to was the map file. :) The URL pointing to the zip of the texture mod should be contained inside the Gbx map file. So I'd check inside the map file using GbxDump to see if the URL is properly stored in there. :)
Site Leader

eyebo says:
The Gbx I was referring to was the map file. :) The URL pointing to the zip of the texture mod should be contained inside the Gbx map file. So I'd check inside the map file using GbxDump to see if the URL is properly stored in there. :)

Ah! It's pulling it from the root folder: dep file="Skins\Stadium\Mod\APEX.zip"

I used control+click on the map to change the mod from the offline version to the url. What went wrong and what should I do?

(btw, it's no problem if I have to make a new map instead, I only placed a bunch of blocks to test the textures)
Last edited by zenomex,
Learner Driver

Nice :) Some progress

I would set up a text file named APEX.zip.loc where the top line contains the direct link URL to the zip. Put it in the same folder with the zip on your PC.

Restart ManiaPlanet (so it sees the loc file).

Then when you go to edit the map, do the CTRL+click thing
Select default textures.
Save the map and leave the editor.
Use CTRL+click again to open the map in the editor and select the Apex mod this time.
Save the map again.

Check it with GbxDump. The URL should be there now. :) Good luck!
Site Leader

eyebo says:
Nice :) Some progress

I would set up a text file named APEX.zip.loc where the top line contains the direct link URL to the zip. Put it in the same folder with the zip on your PC.

Restart ManiaPlanet (so it sees the loc file).

Then when you go to edit the map, do the CTRL+click thing
Select default textures.
Save the map and leave the editor.
Use CTRL+click again to open the map in the editor and select the Apex mod this time.
Save the map again.

Check it with GbxDump. The URL should be there now. :) Good luck!

GBXDump is now also showing:
Code:

file="Skins\Stadium\Mod\APEX.zip" url="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/c9j9ikur8gibskb/APEX.zip

It works on the server for me (instantly shows modded textures) but for my friend the download stays at 0/21mb. The direct link works fine through browser though.
Learner Driver

Yeah, the direct link downloads in the browser for me too.

Make sure your friend doesn't have mod downloads from locators turned off in his launcher settings.

Launcher -> Configure -> Advanced -> PeerToPeer tab -> Advanced -> Download from locators (Direct download URL) -> make sure "Map mods" is checked.
Site Leader
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem