Location: Home  Community Forums  Projects & Competitions  Massive Fullspeed Project. 
Massive Fullspeed Project.
Page: 8 of 9
Post Reply  0 Observer

Completely agree with GR.
Moped Racer

Agree with GR.
Trying Unique Idea

I disagree about Discord. Realtime communication can facilitate much faster building, if everyone involved is actually.... involved, and if there's an active project lead to check parts and move things along.

It can also work on a forum. But there's just more waiting for replies from each participant, so it slows down the process. I've used forums for years, but I used IRC before that, so maybe I'm biased towards realtime communication.

I believe this project taking so long is the result of the project lead being inactive/semi-inactive, builders being slow about finishing their parts, and then the project changing hands twice, and for a month the project had no lead. Also the project moved to a different server since it's start. And apparently a number of the participants didn't even know about the project when it started that their names were listed here.

But I agree to the other points. I too would hate to see the project reset so far, especially if people don't want to commit to building parts again. That having been said, I feel some responsibility for suggesting the reset on Discord. It seemed like the logical conclusion when Flood pointed out a lot of the problems after GR's part (some of which I also saw when driving it - although I only suggested resetting it to the start of kamakaze's part). Flood also said those things couldn't be fixed. I guess because it's a fullspeed track and everything is so well calculated for speed. That also made sense to me.

The only parts I really have an issue with personally is the first jump in kamakaze's part, the unrespawnable CP in Osaka's part, and the flips in skyslide's part. I don't experience the issues of overspeed that Flood says he's getting.

Anyway, I'm not even building a part, and I have other projects to focus on, so I'll excuse myself from further discussions about this project* and wish everyone the best! I hope a good settlement can be reached for the good of the community. And I apologize if anything I've said or did may have contributed to this mess. The track is actually quite fun to drive with some great ideas. It'd be awesome to see it polished and completed.

*I will continue to monitor the project and update the first post.

Edit: GR, if you don't think things can get personal on a forum, I'd go back and read the July/August 2016 MTC thread. :s
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

eFFecT says:
Even when the project is already been going on for half a year, my question is...
Can I still participate by making a section for the map?

Pretty sure it's still open. So I'll add you to the list at least.
Site Leader

eyebo says:
I disagree about Discord. Realtime communication can facilitate much faster building, if everyone involved is actually.... involved, and if there's an active project lead to check parts and move things along.

It can also work on a forum. But there's just more waiting for replies from each participant, so it slows down the process. I've used forums for years, but I used IRC before that, so maybe I'm biased towards realtime communication.

If a project is running well, realtime communication helps speeding up things.
If a project isn't running well and there is a general disagreement about the outline/aim or even parts of the project realtime communication can be a bad thing.
In Discord you can see who is currently typing/formulating answers, so you are more likely to stick around, thinking about what the arguments could be etc. You get caught in the moment and emotions are more likely to take over the discussion with ppl getting overly protective towards their own argument.

In a forum, you are (or at least I am) less likely to constantly mash F5 and stick around. During a discussion in a forum it's easier to step back, distract yourself with other things, calm down and get some distance and perspective to everything that's being discussed. This also avoids the problem of 5 out of 15 people deciding over the future of the project because they just happened to be online while everyone else was asleep and just has to live with the consequences. Furthermore it is much easier to re-read older messages in a forum compared to Discord. Even basic things like having an opening post where everything, including the current status and problems of the project, is outlined is something that's easier to access and maintain in a forum. You just can't reach the same level of organization in realtime chat-based applications.
Moped Racer

Racho says:
Even basic things like having an opening post where everything, including the current status and problems of the project, is outlined is something that's easier to access and maintain in a forum. You just can't reach the same level of organization in realtime chat-based applications.

Totally agree with that. I think they can compliment each other, because they each have their strengths.
I'd like to see the forums used more though, as they were in the past (way before Discord). Probably more status updates need to get posted during projects, to keep things up to date, not just for this project, but others going forward.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

eyebo says:
Pretty sure it's still open. So I'll add you to the list at least.

Thanks for adding me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see there is no particular order, is anyone atm building the next part? Because I have plenty of time these days ^^

Also I'm also a fan of Discord. If different text channels exist with each their purpose, then it can really work well. Having this forum to have "important stuff" like updates, new people joining in, ... is always useful :)

Idea: Maybe it's useful to have a calendar where each player has instead of a full week, 3 days to build the next part (or even 1 day?). So in advance a calendar can be made with a timeslot for every player (when he/she has time ofc) to make the next section... That way the project stays organized and on track and can be completed before the end of this year (even when new players join in). What do you think?
Last edited by eFFecT,
Old Age Caravanner

So any news from the 'leaders'? Will the project move one or reset?

If it's reset then I'm out too. Keeping two 25 seconds parts and then continuing with 10 seconds parts feels inconsistent. So if it's reset then reset to zero. But here's to hoping it will continue. :|

Because I don't use discord I feel like I'm left out. It's silly that I have to ask on the forum what is being said on discord. In that sense they do not compliment each other, they devide. So maybe next time I won't join a project if it uses discord.

eFFecT says:
Maybe it's useful to have a calendar where each player has instead of a full week, 3 days to build the next part (or even 1 day?).

I needed 2 weeks for my part. :p But I only needed 2 days for my lagoon part. Blame FS! ;)
Quad Bike Racer

the conversation moved to discord mostly and there has indeed been a reset but your part is still intact GR. I will try to post most of the updates on the forum if you prefer it that way (i am a sucker on forums tho :$). everything after has been reset and now its my intention to check every part and give feedback on it so the editor himself can go and build his own piece of fullspeed. the reason for the 15-20 sec thingy is so the track doesn't go on for too long and is easier to edit.

now in a more general sense i can understand people are dissatisfied about the reset. but once we catch up to the edits it can only move forward. i hope people can still be positive about the project. The project has always been a community project but drugs intentions has been clear from the start. its supposed to be fullspeed and he was going to be selective about the builders and parts from the start.

So i hope we can put our best intentions forward and start building!

Last edited by agn.Flood!,
Learner Driver

Can I have a link of the discord please? Also is every person continuing on a wip version or does everyone make a separate piece of 15-20 sec and then you piece it together? :)
Old Age Caravanner
Page: 8 of 9 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem