Location: Home  Community Forums  Announcements  Regarding maps and replays and the move to ManiaPlanet 4 
Regarding maps and replays and the move to ManiaPlanet 4
Page: 2 of 7
Post Reply  0 Observer

Thanks for these informations (y)
2 7

I still cant get the batch command to work even after updating every title pack.
Old Age Caravanner

I have made a tutorial for batchconversion of mp3 maps on the maniaplanetforum. I have converted about 2000 maps up to now during the beta.
The tut you can find here:
Tutorial for converting maps from MP3 to MP4 - Maniaplanet Forum
https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=40871

Good luck
Old Age Caravanner

Edit: Oops, haagse beat me to it. Anyway, below is my personal process for doing conversions...

What I do is create a shortcut on my desktop to the ManiaPlanet.exe and then edit the properties of the shortcut to contain the batch command.

Make sure you can enter the titles normally in-game that will be needed for the conversion process.

Close the game.

When you run the batch command (the shortcut), it'll ask you if you want to go online or offline. I always choose offline so that the game doesn't try to download updates to titlepacks and such.

It may ask you another question or two, which you can click "ok" on.

Then it should start recomputing lightmaps and give you a progress bar.

If it doesn't, and if it closes the game immediately, you may have a problem map. In which case, it's best to start with a smaller batch or even just one map in order to test that everything is working.

At least that works for me most of the time. :p
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

NKAc_Street says:
Sorry to be negative, but they completely ruined canyon. It's like driving muffled mush with the sounds and physics changes. Not your fault of course, but not sure what they were thinking with that.
Of course I am just one insignificant player that really loved how canyon was before.

You're not the only one. There's a topic about Canyon over on MP forums as well. ;) And you're certainly not insignificant.

I personally like the feel of Canyon, and it's been my favorite environment for years. But I do understand how the different feeling can be off-putting. I had a similar feeling the first time I drove Canyon in the beta.

All I can say is, just give it a chance. Give it a few days, or more. You may decide you like it. I did.

NKAc_Street says:
I've been driving tracks older to newer for fun and enjoyment and uploading the replays, now that is over unless the authors change the tracks themselves. I'd never expect mania exchange to even begin to tackle that task,

I like doing the same, driving old and new maps.

Actually we are going to tackle it. It will take a little time, but we'll update a large percentage of the tracks on the site. We've already begun the process. Of course backups are being made of the old versions of maps in case there's some reason we need to revert or give someone their old version of a map. And if an author updates their map first, we'll skip over it when updating. And authors can always re-update their maps if they find we've updated it for them already and it wasn't to their liking.

NKAc_Street says:
this update is just a complete disappointment for me. But that is just me, I'm sure lots of people like it. Just wish they would have thought about backwards compatibility given the vast amount of tracks that were made previously.

I was in shock when first learning about the update to lightmaps and how it would break compatibility with old maps.

But I think we'll survive the transition and move forward, especially if converting maps will allow us to take the majority of tracks with us into ManiaPlanet 4.

There's so many amazing new things possible. For instance, have you seen that you can make and use magnetic objects?

For example, try this map using objects created by xrayjay:

Plus, with Lagoon coming soon, the game is going to get even more diverse.

And keep in mind that we won't have to wait another 3 years for bug fixes. Nadeo is going to be pushing updates more regularly now.

The future is bright. :cool:
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

chekov says:
Why is it necessary to convert the maps? I have build over 230 maps - secured with a PW. Now I have to edit every map. Thats not fair.

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question or a legit one. But we have to upgrade/convert maps because of the new version of Lightmaps, and also because block geometries for many of the blocks have been optimized. This means the Lightmaps we computed before no longer match up to the geometry of the blocks in our tracks, so they get all weird looking with wrong shadows everywhere.

Also because of the changed geometry of many blocks, many blocks end up with holes in them or other map-breaking problems. So we have to use the batch command (or open in the editor) so that the game can convert the old map to a new one.

I'm no expert about these things, but that's how I understand it at least. :p

It's a bummer that we have to update maps at all, but in the end it means better performance for everyone, and a step forward into the future for ManiaPlanet. I appreciate that Nadeo is willing to keep developing the platform instead of just wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch. In that case we wouldn't be able to take our maps with us. So at least this way we can keep using the work we've made building maps the past months and years.
Site Leader

Patriot says:
Hans Holo says:
After the second jump, on the right side, there is a block that has a deep black surface. It's just not looking right. :s

No problem, I have in a MP4 converted map a completely red booster, the platform is completely red :-w

This is a bug with the remapping of some textures that objects use.

Try converting again after Lagoon is out and maybe Nadeo will have fixed this issue by then.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

GR. says:
We can better make a new Mania Exchange website and start over fresh. And close TMX so the community is back in one place. :p

=p We discussed doing this. Well, not closing TMX, but starting a whole new site for MP4. I think in the end we're better off staying where we are. Making a new site could potentially cause more problems, because everyone will want to copy over their maps anyway, as they did going from TMNF to TM2.

We'll work through the issues here I think. ;)
Site Leader

HaagseSmurf says:
I have made a tutorial for batchconversion of mp3 maps on the maniaplanetforum. I have converted about 2000 maps up to now during the beta.
The tut you can find here:
Tutorial for converting maps from MP3 to MP4 - Maniaplanet Forum
https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=40871

Good luck

Ah I figured out my issue, it doesn't work when done via PowerShell only the old CMD.

Edit: Now how do I batch replace all my maps on TMX?
Last edited by FillInTheBlank,
Old Age Caravanner

FillInTheBlank says:
Now how do I batch replace all my maps on MX?

Standby, we might have a solution for that. ;)
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader
Page: 2 of 7 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem