Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Track Upload Problem 
Track Upload Problem
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Track Upload Problem  
Hello
I tried 6 times to upload a track to track exchange website but after over 4 hours of uploading it fails due to light card calculation needs to be done .Over 4 hours to upload a crappy 721 kb file seems insanely slow.Why is there no warning that an upload can take so long ? it looks like they don't want people to know how long it can take because they might leave.Keep people in the dark ???

.There is no progress bar during the upload so first time you try to upload a file you have NO idea how long you will be sat waiting. I find that really unpolite towards the visitor I find it is just damed Rude !! It is like sitting and ignoring a visitor who took the trouble to visit you for hours.

When I press upload icon the window slightly changes color then a tiny dot apears in the top left of the browser to indicate that the upload has started.But people with poor eyesight etc can''t see the slight change, I have poor eyesight, I could hardly see that the upload was startedi, I thought it had and I went to bed leaving it uploading, when I got up it had not even started because I had not activated the upload properly. It is poor design that really needs changing as soon as possible, how can a website treat it's visitors so rudely, especially visitors who have got poor eyesight ?
Last edited by Zat The Alien,
Old Age Caravanner

Hello zatthealien,

Thanks for letting us know about your issue. Sorry you had to try so many times to get your map on the site.

We do require that maps are validated and that lightmaps are computed. That's normal, because servers also require that, and the maps here are meant to be available to online servers, many of which add their maps directly to their servers from this site.

I'm also sorry if you think we're being rude. Please, rest assured, that is not our intention at all.

Just a note about the site. This is a site created and run by members of the community. We created it because we love the game and want to offer a place for fellow players to share their tracks. Because we're all volunteers, there's only so much we can do when it comes to the design of the site. We all have day jobs, university, or other family responsibilities.

But about your issue....

A 721 KB file should upload in a matter of seconds if you're on a broadband connection, and if it meets those other conditions I mentioned earlier.

Make sure you've validated your track (the icon at bottom right in the editor). The status at top right in the editor will change to "Validated". After computing lightmaps and saving it, you should be able to upload it here.

Could we have a progress bar? Yes. Then again, for such a small file, it's generally a non-issue. In fact, you're the first person to raise such a concern.
Site Leader

[quote=eyebo]Hello zatthealien,

Oh thank you so much for the quick response, very impressive.I had no idea that the file should upload that fast,but it takes me over 4 hours to upload it.Sometimes at the start I get the light mapo warning, sometimes after 4 hours upload, I have been going in cirkels for days trying to upload it, trying to find the answers in a sea of text in the forum I wonder if it is uploading and not just busy waiting and then after 4 hours the warning appears ? I have validated the race in the map builder, then played in local and finally replay,but it just does not seem to work. Am I trying to upload the wrong file the replay file ? No option to redo the light in that file ?I am not a tech person, I am autistic I am very good wqith graphics, fotografy and colors, I cant read and write very good or understand words.I have had to edit this text 9 times to add things or delete.I bloody hate text sorry .

The upload warning on the site is really unclear especially with bad eyes, but If the file should upload in seconds I agree you dont need one, but I was having 4 hour uploads, it seemed to be insane not to have a sigh from that prospective.A sign saying normal upload time for this file is... ??/ Would be so helpful I would have known that
something was wrong.It would have saved me hours of stress,,,,Now I assossiate the website with waiting , and difficulty,and totally unfairly of course because it is very well done.

Thank you so much for your response though.

Old Age Caravanner

After 5 days of trying to upload a track I give up, just too difficult. the stress it causes is just so bad, going around in cirkels like a headless chicken trying to upload my racee,,yesterday another 6 attemps and another multiple wasted hours of failiures. I thought it was gonna be easy too. :o
Old Age Caravanner

That's unfortunate. :(
Site Leader

eyebo says:
That's unfortunate. :(

Thank you for that man really,..it has for me been a total nightmare, just trying to upload a race.

Here is a video of my race, I "Uploaded" it no problem, one click.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq7bCJLcJuo
Old Age Caravanner

I just tried uploading a different race from a different map, I get the same result, It just keeps uploading.

After I press the upload /continue icon, In the top left corner of my browser a moving dot appears with the text "Track upload step 1 tm2, but it just keeps going for hours until the upload fails.I have not waited this time though I cancel the upload after a few minutes.

I did the new race from the beginning in map editor first to get the green flag, validated it did the lightmap and saved it. Then I did the race in local map and saved it to get it to appear into the replay map.
Old Age Caravanner

Just in case I'm getting this wrong. Do you want to upload a Track/Map, or a Replay/Run?

If you want to upload a TRACK
Build the track
Calculate shadows
Validate the track (green flag)
Save the track
-> You now have a *.Map.Gbx file in the folder you saved it. ('Documents->Maniaplanet->Maps->My Maps' for example)

Go to MX (where you are right now)
Click on "Upload Track"
Next to "Track file" click on "Choose file"
In the Pop-up, navigate to the Documents->Maniaplanet->Maps folder and select the *.Map.Gbx file you just saved
Click 'Continue'
-> Don't panic, select Track length, difficulty, and style (really not that important what you select here, and you can change it later)
Click 'Continue'

You have now uploaded your track to MX

If you want to upload a REPLAY (i.e. you driving on a track)
Drive a Replay in Local Map/Play
Save the Replay
-> You now have a *.Replay.Gbx file somewhere in 'Documents->Maniaplanet->Replays'
Upload or find the track on MX
On the track page of this track click on Submit Replay (left column Offline Records)
-> Click on 'Choose File'
In the Pop-up, navigate to the Documents->Maniaplanet->Replays folder and select the file you want to upload.
Click 'Continue'

You have uploaded a replay (your run) to the track.
Moped Racer

[quote=Racho]Just in case I'm getting this wrong. Do you want to upload a Track/Map, or a Replay/Run?

I tried to upload a replay...On exchange site I press upload and the race is directly there in the replay map, I thought that, that must be the correct file to upload.

I am not totally sure which file I have to upload but I presumed that the exchange site opened the correct folder by default...I cant read very well I am dyslexic I have a lot of trouble finding the answers in the forum myself, it makes this very difficult for me to solve alone,,,,Thank you for the answer though, very kind on a sunday.

I alsoi thought that if I uploaded the base map that people would be able to change it an I dont want that, I thought that it was normal to upload the replay and not the base map for that reason.

Old Age Caravanner

For which track would you like to upload a Replay?

Is the track already uploaded here?

You can NOT upload a Replay if the track is not already uploaded.
Moped Racer
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem