Location: Home  Community Forums  Deployed  [DONE][Suggestion] Tooltips for cut strings 
[DONE][Suggestion] Tooltips for cut strings
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
[DONE][Suggestion] Tooltips for cut strings  
From the Mania Exchange Development forum on TMX United

July 11, 2010

ohei2 says:
I very much like to have tooltips with the full string for string wich are cut, e.g.

Eyebo's del... => tooltip: [Eyebo's delight]

I.e. at the point "..." get inserted also generate a tooltip with the full string.

July 12, 2010

fastforza says:
Don't know if long strings will matter, at 950px display this site is massive. :p

eyebo says:
lol nice example

July 18, 2010

ohei2 says:
Well, one day a track name or a user name will always be longer than you possibly will have imagined when designing the page layout.

Of course I could always click through, but this site is fortunately not dependent on generating as many clicks as possible like so many other site living from clickable advertisements. Thus true usablility should play a major role @ TMX.

Just my two cents though. 8-|

September 21, 2010

"fastforza" says:
This is done. If the username is longer than the max length parameter, it will add the title attribute to the link. (y)

September 22, 2010

"TimeBreaker" says:
Max-length sucks, I want it dynamic :(

http://www.ruzee.com/files/ellipsis/test.html
http://chetzit.com/blog/css/9.html

"fastforza" says:
Funny how any CSS stuff like PIE you suggest stops working. lol.

"TimeBreaker" says:
PIE was about faking CSS stuff with proprietary htc support by the IEs, every fix has its limits. And the IEs have seen their limits before they even got released... also the error could've been caused by you as well ;)

It works like a charm in all browsers except Firefox - yeah, you heard right. How't ever, it can be fixed, and fixes for firefox are alays sweet. The best is that you don't have to guess the max-length, so there's no way in screwing up the layout as enough people do it these days.

September 23, 2010

"fastforza" says:
BTW TB max length parameter is a parameter in the secondary render method of the user link control, not CSS. :p

"TimeBreaker" says:
O'rly .. D:
Not that it matters anyways, it has exactly the same problem, just tha the string gets cut off before it's being sent to the client.
The problem is that a layout might look nice for what you intentions, but 18 characters do not always have the same length in terms of display pixels:

ThisIsA18ParamName
THISISA18PARAMNAME
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

These are all 18 characters long..
Site Leader
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem