Location: Home  Community Forums  Deployed  [Suggestion] Online/Offline + Chat function 
[Suggestion] Online/Offline + Chat function
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
[Suggestion] Online/Offline + Chat function  
From the Mania Exchange Development forum on TMX United

October 13, 2010

"Ville" says:
Hey guys, hopefully I'm allowed to suggest things here as well... read the whole forum through and couldn't find these anywhere so I'll post this topic now. :)

How about a possibility to see if a user is online or offline? There could be a simple red/green symbol in the forums for example. You would be able to hide your session (not shown online). This would be needed for my second idea..

..which is a chat function. Not necessarily talking about large TMX chatrooms but something to work next to the PM system. Sometimes it feels funny to PM a user about a small and often not so important thing that you still want to say. With a chat system it'd be just one click and you would be able to tell your business. If the user was offline, you couldn't chat with him/her, but you could still send a PM of course.

"Bucky" says:
If I recall correctly, chat was already suggested somewhere, and last I heard, ff was looking into it. As far as the online/offline idea, I don't see that being any harm to the community, so (y)

"fastforza" says:
The online/offline idea is as far as "Total Visitors" which is based on users active over the last 20 mins (default length of a session). I may extend upon this idea with a list of users and their status (online/offline). :)

As for the chat, there is this one specific jQuery plugin which is by far the best I've found. I'm keen on *testing* it, but I'm not sure how much it would pound the database.

"Bucky" says:
if it turns out to be too much, users' can always send pms like "gogo msn!" (y)

"Ville" says:
Alright, sounds good! (y)
Site Leader

The Online/Offline indicator is implemented thanks to Dennis and TheM, and now that we have Discord, I'd say that the extra chat function is no longer needed here (All major posts and info can stay on the forum, and any minor chat seems to go to Discord). :done:
Last edited by Linkin|Alex,
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem