Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Getting Tracks Noticed 
Getting Tracks Noticed
Page: 2 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer

Enai Siaion says:
I've said it in TMNF times and I'll say it again: trackmaking is so easy the supply is way bigger than the demand, so 99.9% of the trackbuilders will languish in obscurity or cherish their one single award (by a guy who awarded the wrong browser tab while intending to give Tiger Blood its 473rd award).

Check your math. I think there's no players who just build maps, not drive them. But there's certainly players who play, but won't build. Building track takes tens or hundreds of the time spent on playing it. I cannot believe supply would exceed demand. Not counting trackspamming, of course, because there's no demand for it.
G-kart Racer

The main problem right now is that downloading tracks and playing them yourself is a huge hassle. I'm suspecting the amount of comments and awards will increase once the game goes gold and we can start playing the tracks downloaded here in single player.

I , personally, have not downloaded a map on here yet - but I've awarded a couple I happened to play online. Once we get single player, I'll start playing maps by myself again. I love record hunting, even though I'm terrible.
Learner Driver

Markus... says:
"what means getting 1 award instead of 10?" it means nothing, because even unawarded Tracks will be played online

I've spent a LOT of time playing online, and i can tell you there are two big types of servers :
Servers running crap maps made by idontknowwho that everyone dislikes, played by players who don't even know the existence of MX.
And servers in which 90% of the maps are from the best of the week or have more than 10 / 15 awards...

How many chances a track that stayed 3 hours on the homepage and get 20 downloads and zero awards has to be played online ? Pretty close to zero.
Quad Bike Racer

Enai_Siaion says:
It's already too late: you already lost the game of MX to the old TMUF veterans who have much more star power and probably spent two weeks perfecting their "day one" tracks during closed beta while everyone else was drooling at videos. And because most people don't want to play 50 tracks a day, they all download only from famous trackbuilders. This translates into zero chance of success for non-famous trackbuilders.

True, I see where you are coming from. I knew that having a known name was a good start although I disagree with the 0% chance. Ofc, the chance of my, or any other new trackmakers track getting noticed would be much more slimmer than that of the veterans. However, it doesn't automatically mean that it won't get noticed. A track that gets really well marketed as well as meeting demand can do well.

Let me give an example for another game. Halo Reach... I'm not a known name there yet made a map. It took a couple of days to start getting noticed and eventually, through ruthless marketing it did, making it to the top 10 most downloaded for that month. Yet veteran maps were being passed down. Other maps were getting noticed because they were not normal.

Still, I remain by my point. I know that it is a tough, closed "scene" though there is still at least a chance of being noticed. It all depends on what amount of marketing you go for.

Enai_Siaion says:

PPO and MX social networking tend to produce dishonest awards from people hoping you will be so thankful for their precious, precious award that you will go back and award all of their tracks because they are just as desperate as you are. MTC participation is a dice roll, both on your part and on the part of the judges. Attempting to make friends with a server admin is like being an undercover cop planted as the cellmate of a bank robber and trying to win his trust in order to get at the loot. And forum participation is Parkhaus just another dishonest form nonstop drifts of manipulation in order to headlights in dark areas further your own agenda and therefore nobody download now likes trackspammers because you look better than Ganjarider totally full of yourself.

( :p )

These tricks are only useful if you have no life and therefore spending an entire evening in exchange for two comments on your track seems like a useful way to spend your time. Most likely when someone eventually awards your track you will make a screenshot and frame it for posterity to remember that moment when some random guy in Denmark actually cared about you for five minutes.

I've said it in TMNF times and I'll say it again: trackmaking is so easy the supply is way bigger than the demand, so 99.9% of the trackbuilders will languish in obscurity or cherish their one single award (by a guy who awarded the wrong browser tab while intending to give Tiger Blood its 473rd award).

I completely understand your points. However, someone who does "no-life", in your words, must really care and be proud of their track. And thats what I will be, when I finally release it (today :p). However, I enjoy track making and although it may be tough getting some awards or notoriety, at least I know that I will be proud of my finished product, even if everyone else isn't.

That probably sounds like complete gibberish :p
Last edited by Osl112,
G-kart Racer

Virus says:
I've spent a LOT of time playing online, and i can tell you there are two big types of servers :
Servers running crap maps made by idontknowwho that everyone dislikes, played by players who don't even know the existence of MX.
And servers in which 90% of the maps are from the best of the week or have more than 10 / 15 awards...

Almost. In my experience server host either:
- Their own crap maps made by a friend of the admin, but everyone who plays on the server likes them because that jump with a corner behind it requires "skill" and if you complain you are a "noob".
- TMN classics like Moving Power and Dutch Delight and highly awarded TMNF tech maps like Little Blue Mailbox.

Either way, your track will not be played on a server. (Exception: very early tracks on very early servers)

aXu says:
Enai Siaion says:

Check your math. I think there's no players who just build maps, not drive them. But there's certainly players who play, but won't build. Building track takes tens or hundreds of the time spent on playing it. I cannot believe supply would exceed demand. Not counting trackspamming, of course, because there's no demand for it.

You forget that 1 track serves between 2-1500 players (1K downloads is attainable - I have an RPG with that number of downloads over on TMNF TMX). Nobody can play more than 500 maps in their lifetime, so accounting for different tastes and track styles, there is no need to have more than 2K maps. Ever.
:p
Last edited by Enai Siaion,
Moped Racer

1 possible solution : For every upload to tmx, charge 50 planets.

This would enforce quality much more than ANYTHING else could do.
As a user, you'd be sure to load only tracks, in which authors have put so much effort that would spend their OWN resources for uploading it.
As an author, you'd be sure that your tracks are loaded by people who didn't lose their interest and who appreciate good driving experiences.
Last edited by tstargermany,
Old Age Caravanner

tstargermany says:

As a user, you'd be sure to load only tracks, in which authors have put so much effort that would spend their OWN resources for uploading it.
As an author, you'd be sure that your tracks are loaded by people who didn't lose their interest and who appreciate good driving experiences.

Again, good words!

Then people could say:"
But i build a lot of maps for our team server, a lot of mini and i have to upload them on tmx."
Ok, so make a separate tracklist (hidden from the homepage), with such massive and spamming tracks.
Moped Racer

.dejavu says:
tstargermany says:

Again, good words!

Then people could say:"
But i build a lot of maps for our team server, a lot of mini and i have to upload them on tmx."
Ok, so make a separate tracklist (hidden from the homepage), with such massive and spamming tracks.

I disagree. That will favour the bigger names a lot more, as people expect that they will get a quality track from them.

EDIT: My bad here, I misread :( :wait:
Last edited by Osl112,
G-kart Racer

No man, you didn't understood!
That means, that EVERY SINGLE USER, WELL KNOWN, OR UNKOWN, WILL ONLY UPLOAD GOOD MAPS, BECAUSE OF THE MORE WORK PUTTED IN THEM! No more track spamming with 2 mins built track. Level will increase, from every side of the comunity (well known, and less known users).
Moped Racer

.dejavu says:
No man, you didn't understood!
That means, that EVERY SINGLE USER, WELL KNOWN, OR UNKOWN, WILL ONLY UPLOAD GOOD MAPS, BECAUSE OF THE MORE WORK PUTTED IN THEM! No more track spamming with 2 mins built track. Level will increase, from every side of the comunity (well known, and less known users).

Yeh, you're right, I misread. It does seem a pretty decent and will slim down the amount of rubbish, although people will want to upload free and MX may lose a little custom.
G-kart Racer
Page: 2 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem