Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Problems synchronising music to intro 
Problems synchronising music to intro
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
Problems synchronising music to intro  
Hi,

I've had some recent problems with my new track (don't worry this is no track promotion scam :p ). I added some custom music (as music and not sound) to the track and tried synchronising my intro with camera, transitions, all the jabang! But after an hour of playing around and syncing it correctly, I found out that the music started playing way ahead of the intro when playing my map in solo.

I tested my track as a "validation" each time I changed something to the intro to see if everything was synced.
Finding out it wasn't synced was a pain in the ass.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me?
I kind of hope that everyone has this problem because otherwise I resynchronised my intro for nothing! (and it probably looks ridiculous now)

Any comments might lighten my day (even a funny non related one :d )

cheers
Last edited by Sticky,
Feels gooood!

Same problem here when i tried the same with one of my latest tracks, after re syncing and trying different things like adding short sound clip in intro instead of using "custom music" i just figure it couldn't be done and it's just a "bug" with the game loading the music before the intro starts.

But i'm no pro with this stuff, maybe someone here knows about a solution/fix?

Intro with synced music and other effects added 2 it is really nice if it just had worked :)
G-kart Racer

The "bug" is just so unforgiving.
The trail and error process of moving stuff around takes up al lot of time fairly quickly. And seeing everything mashed up is demotivating.

I loaded the track over and over in solo to see/hear the "synced" music. And ones I had a problem where it started even earlier then it already would. Luckily that was only ones, otherwise I would've freaked out.

I think a great feature might be that you can say to the MT not play the custom music but play this sound (when triggered). That way you can say when to play what and still have music if needed.
(or something like that)

I'm "happy" to know I'm not the only one with the problem.
The question, for me, remains; does every computer start the music at the same time or does it vary to the power/abilities of your system?
Feels gooood!

Hey Sticky,

I don' have a real solution for your problem, but some thoughts that could maybe inspire you to get what you want.
Does the music have to start exactly at the moment the intro starts? I think the first seconds an intro start are not really recognized by the player. You need at least some miliseconds to realize "Ah, the track starts now. Oh, an intro is shown before. OK, I don't press escape and watch it...(f.e.)".
Maybe you can stretch the start with a fade-in (from black, 2-3 sec.) and then start the music and the things you want to show in the intro after the fade.
If you do that, you can just move the music-track a bit to the right in the time-bar (but for that you need to know if everybody has the same time-lag as well). Or could you even set a trigger with the sound starting at a specific block (not sure about this in intro)??
I don't know if it makes a difference but I've always used custom sound (instead of custom music) even to play a whole song.
I'm sorry if this should not help you at all, but at least I tried...

Hans Holo
:d
Beetle Racer

Well every comment has been helpful so far ;)

The problem is that the custom music isn't added in the MT intro itself. It's the music that's being played in the background of the track the whole time. Meaning I can't shift the track in the MT a few milliseconds because it's not their.
If you want to add custom music for the track and custom sounds for the MT intro, ingame and outro both audio files will be played simultaneous. The custom music plays constantly in the background and you can't (or I haven't found the feature) dim/silence the background music at designated points. If I want custom music playing throughout the track non stop I will add a song through the custom music function, but if I want the custom music and a custom sound file that is for instance a song to be synced with the intro, I can't because they will be playing together and not perfectly in sync. This will probably result in a mish mash of sounds and won't be pretty.

Maybe I can try to add the song as a custom sound, in the ingame MT, triggered throughout the whole track. But I have my doubts about it. The custom music keeps on playing without skipping in the background even when you crash and have to restart the track from the start. I think if you have the song triggered as a sound in a trigger at the start you might hear weird stops and starts (skipping) of playing the song. When playing the track over and over again you will only have heard the first part of the song. Compared to custom music where you will hear the complete song even when restarting the track. (without exiting the track of course)

Is my thinking process wrong or am I correct? I don't know I'm speaking from my own experience with the game. And I haven't tried everything I have said.

I still like your idea and might try it out!
Thanks for the comment it is of course much appreciated that your bring your thoughts about this.
This way we all learn more (y)
Feels gooood!

D'oh! I totally forgot about the "normal" music playing during the track. :$

A not so elegant solution could be to add silence before the "track-music" for the lenght of the intro, by editing the soundfile. Then you'd have no disturbing music in the intro.
Beetle Racer

Hans Holo says:
D'oh! I totally forgot about the "normal" music playing during the track. :$

I don't mind. It's not easy trying to explain something when I self have to carefully read everything to see if it's the right thing that I'm talking about.
Talking about custom music and custom sounds is different but not to everyone :p I was planning to add a few screens to explain the difference between the two. I might as well still do that actually. Tonight expect some clarification screens :p

Hans Holo says:

A not so elegant solution could be to add silence before the "track-music" for the lenght of the intro, by editing the soundfile. Then you'd have no disturbing music in the intro.

I kind of like this idea. It's indeed not the most elegant solution but damn well an interesting one. (y)
Feels gooood!

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but in the MT there is the "Sound" block. (I'm 90% sure that is what it's called.) It would allow you to pretend the song was simply a "sound" that played through the intro. You would have to put the song file in the right place for the game to find it, though.
Beetle Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem