Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Disp. Cost vs fps question. 
Disp. Cost vs fps question.
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
Disp. Cost vs fps question.  
Is it best to keep Disp. Cost or amount of blocks used when making a track to a minimum so "low end" computers will not struggle with low frames per second?

Disp. Cost: 6000-7000 is "ok" ?
Disp. Cost: 7000-9000 is maybe to much ?

Also i guess mood: day, night, sunset and sunrise could play a part as well, more fps with day and less with sunset at least if track is big with lot's of scenery?

When making a track i always have fun with adding the scenery, but i'm afraid that i some times add to much of it, so people could struggle with low fps when playing my tracks.
Hoping someone have an answer to this :)
Last edited by Falkers,
G-kart Racer

If I'm right, this doesn't depend on the display cost. My laptop sucks (yeah, really), and I know some maps with over 17.000 planets I can drive lagfree, and I also drove maps with 3.000 planets that lagged. I think it depends on the blocks used. For example, the tunnel roads with the open side, like 4-1-2, that have a kind of grid on one side. Using many of these make the track laggy. Or I also noticed planets, like many trees or these little bushes on the ground also cause lags.
Beetle Racer

And if I'm not mistaken the pipes tend to cause lagg as well.
Feels gooood!

I have the feeling that is has something to do with how much of the track is visible. F.e., when driving in a tunnel not so much blocks need to be displayed, like when driving in the open field with big buildings visible at the horizon.
It's just a guess, based on my experience.
:d
Beetle Racer

Thought maybe there would be a general rule about this, but i guess not then.

Just have to be careful with adding complex scenery and stuff maybe, not to much of everything as a general rule hehe...

I have a good computer so i normally don't experience lagg, but the few times i have seen a little "stuttering" it has been on maps where the mood is Sunset, i think it could have something to do with the added lights/sun effects compared to say Day where there is less of that.
G-kart Racer

Hans Holo says:
I have the feeling that is has something to do with how much of the track is visible. F.e., when driving in a tunnel not so much blocks need to be displayed, like when driving in the open field with big buildings visible at the horizon.
It's just a guess, based on my experience.
:d

yeah, thats also true, also my experience.

And day is definitely the fastest environment
Beetle Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem