Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  TrackMania² Canyon - Steam error 
TrackMania² Canyon - Steam error
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
TrackMania² Canyon - Steam error  
Hi together ;)

Well, as you all know TrackMania² Canyon, Stadium and ShootMania Storm were today released on Steam. For those of you who didn't ... now you do =p

However, I have a unpleasant error when trying to launch the game through Steam.

I activated my product key and downloaded the game.
The strange thing about the whole thing was that Steam always created two folders on my desktop : "steam" and "depotcache". These two normally belong inside the Steam main folder, where the .exe file is located.

Edit : Inside the "steam" folder which appears on my desktop for some reason, there is a "games" folder and inside that are normally all the logos of the Steam-games which are currently installed on your computer.
Something like : "22bb43aa2h37746a467884jjjaa488.ico"

Now, when trying to start the game, I always get an error like this : "bin/SteamService could not be found" (I had the german version, so this is a translation). After clicking ok, the dialog closes and I can start the game without any further crashes.

Now, there are also two more files on the desktop, which also normally belong inside the Steam folder - "debug.log" and "GameOverlayUI.exe.log".

Right now I am trying an uninstall of the game (both versions - steam and non-steam)

I contacted the Steam support and I will post their answer here as soon as I get the result.
I believe it seems to be a "starting error" regarding the fact that TM² is about ~12 hours on Steam now.
If you've got a similar problem or even a solution, put it in the comments :)

So far
Thrawn

Edit 2 : .... again sorry MrA ... :s
Old Age Caravanner
Solution  
The solution was a standard Steam "procedure". If you experience any strange behaviour like this, do the following :

1. Exit Steam

2. Go to your Steam installation folder

3. Select everything except for your "steam.exe" and the "SteamApps" folder and delete

4. launch the "steam.exe"

5. Steam will now be forced to redownload its content

6. Try again, normally the problem should be gone

Note : This will NOT delete any of your friends or games or similar stuff, it just is like a forced update to get all the necessary files which you need for running Steam. Any corrupt files will be replaced
You can, as a matter of fact, also delete the "SteamApps" folder, but I strongly recommend you not to do it !
If you did so, you had to redownload all of your games.

If a gamefile is corrupt try the "Verify integrity of Steam Cache" option in your library. Any corrupt game file will be detected and deleted and a working one will be downloaded by Steam automatically.

Edit : You might want to create a backup of your "userdata" folder, because screenshots are saved there.
Last edited by Thrawn«¦,
Old Age Caravanner
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem