Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Help with the size of the map file ! 
Help with the size of the map file !
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
Help with the size of the map file !  
I build a big RPG map. But the map size is to much big to be upload on MX ( 2.50 Mb ).
If someone can help me to know what i need to remove on my map to be able to publish it.
If someone help me, i will give him the map to help me !

I really need to publish this because i spend to much time to do it ! I need help !
Trying Unique Idea

You can now upload it, but note that maps of that size can not be played on online servers.
Segmentation fault

I'm not sure whether all of these steps work in maniaplanet, but hopefully some can cut down the file size:

o Remove or adjust embedded objects
Embedded objects take up space in the map file. Also, removing icons from the objects can reduce the size of the objects themselves.

o Ghosts in the MT
Replays imported to the MediaTracker usually bring the file size up a bit. If you still need to have ghosts in your map, consider making a different version of the map with as few blocks and as little MT as possible, and record the replay there.

o Tamper with the shadow calculations
Not sure how effective this is, as I haven't tried it at all. As you probably know, shadows take up quite a lot of space, and it will always do. Even if the embedded lightmap image is always the same size (1024x1024?), the compression could differ between the different quality presets (Fast, Normal, High, Ultra).

o Modify the track screenshot
As the last resort (if you're just at the limit), you could set the camera position to areas with little detail as possible (such as the sky or total darkness). I believe the screenshot itself is stored in some way in the file, and the compression could make a small difference.

The most used workaround, however, is just to make an alternative version of the map with less scenery, less MT and fewer details for online use. I ended up doing that many times as well :p
Last edited by Voyager006,
Moped Racer

Ty guys for the help ! I really apreciate. I will try the shadow at medium and see if it's better.

@Voyager006 Did you want the map to see what i need to remove ?
Trying Unique Idea

Only you can choose what's suitable to remove, as it's your own map. At the moment you don't even need to remove anything if you just want to upload the RPG map to MX - it's possible to upload it now.

It's only necessary to cut down the file size if you want the map to be playable on online servers.

If you wish to do so, I'd advice you to make a separate, lighter version of the map for online use (since the file size is 0,5 MB over the limit, quite much at that). Then cut down on objects, MT and scenery etc. on the online version until you've bypassed 2 MB and upload it separately on MX. :)
Moped Racer

Ok ty Voyager ;)
Trying Unique Idea
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem