Reason for Blocks
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
Reason for Blocks  
dont get confused by the title, expect too much, i was just wondering if there is a certain reason for the use of the different "directions" of blocks, especially the "small" curves...you know, either have the red corners connect on the out-/inside repectively.

i mean, this basically kills any option to build an upward r/l-combo (or vice versa) for example...

Is there a special advantage to this use of blocks or is it just some fancy way of making the editor appear more powerful (though it seems to restrict itself by this)?!
Learner Driver

I don't know if this counts as a "reason" but the two are different in that they are both slightly off center in opposite directions. You can see for yourself if you make a small track with a few of the road blocks separated by dirt and placed with the red on alternating sides. You'll see that while there is a fairly large common area to them, if you are right up against one side at the end of one block you have to move quite a surprising distance to drive on the next.

As for uses of this, when transitioning from platform or dirt into a corner it can make a huge difference to how well you can take it depending on which side you chose to put the red edge on.

rek.
Learner Driver

I already complained about the limitation that these differences between blocks have..
No official reply...
Moped Racer

Maybe there's no reply because they're busy and want it to be a surprise. Maybe there's no reply because you're right and they won't admit it. Or, maybe they just didn't see it :p

Whatever the case, Given the choice between the two, I'd put my money on additional blocks at release.
Sports Saloon Racer

Nadeo said that only 2 more blocks will be added. Can't find the source atm :/
Moped Racer

That doesn't make sense to me at all. There's such a demand for so many other blocks. Just look at the wish blocks thread ... I know that not all of them can be met, but a lot of them are things that, if done, will greatly help out the building community.
Sports Saloon Racer

although Nadeo said that block import would not be possible at the release of the game, they did not say it would never be available. :cool:
Beetle Racer

We don't know how 'custom' these blocks are going to actually be, should they be custom at all. There might be just a few parameters that you slide around to get just the right angle or something. Or there's the chance that there might not be any customization at all :p
Sports Saloon Racer

perhaps block import will be where you make a rough sketch of the block, send it to Nadeo and they fix it up and release it in a patch with a bunch of other blocks.
Beetle Racer

Let's break down the man-hours that Nadeo would have to put into that solution. They would spend very little time on development before release. After release, they have to put in regular time, and constantly monitor what goes in, communicate with upper level employees, and decide what to actually make, test, and include in a pack.

On the other hand, they could spend the time before release to build a tool that everyone can use without vitally needing their approval, and then spend 0 hours after release monitoring submissions. This assumes that they wouldn't have to fix bugs, but there will always be bugs to fix.

I think the latter option is the better option for all parties involved. Once again, that assume that they're going to do some implementation at all.
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem