Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  High-end computer experiences graphics lag 
High-end computer experiences graphics lag
Page: 2 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer

Bucky says:
If you seriously think there's a memory leak, try memtest.

Have you explored the possibility of a thermal issue?

Yeah, but there's not much that I can do about that except install a liquid cooling system. Have you ever seen a computer with an electric ducted fan jet on the CPU before?

Also, the evidence points at a RAM leak caused by Steam (you may remember back on TMU-X that I have the Steam version of TM United Forever Star Edition).
Rise from the ashes!

If you seriously suspect a RAM leak, then try something like memtest.

Otherwise, you can try booting your computer with each stick of ram to see if any of them are faulty.
Sports Saloon Racer

Bucky says:
If you seriously suspect a RAM leak, then try something like memtest.

Otherwise, you can try booting your computer with each stick of ram to see if any of them are faulty.

I've already confirmed it - Steam shouldn't be using so much RAM. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until the next Steam update to see if it gets fixed - I can't do anything on my end.
Rise from the ashes!

There is actually quite a lot you can do to cool your system down with normal fan cooling.
Boxed processor coolers are not very effective.
When you make some research you can find good coolers for good value.

I have a C2D E6600 (2.4 Ghz). Bought a cooler for 11,- Euros + I think 4,- Euros shipping charges.
After that I could run the cpu at 3 Ghz with same temperature like before on 2.4 Ghz.
With standard clocking it went down from around 50° Celsius (Boxed cooler) to 28° on load.

Also some extra case coolers and/or a bigger case can do quite a lot.
..wasn't me

Skunky: Windows just said that he thought it was a RAM problem caused by steam. I don't think the issue is thermal :p
Sports Saloon Racer

You're probably right.
I was just referring to this:
... says:

Bucky says: If you seriously think there's a memory leak, try memtest.

Have you explored the possibility of a thermal issue?

Yeah, but there's not much that I can do about that except install a liquid cooling system.
..wasn't me

Ah yes. I can't tell you how many times I reply to the last post on a page, and realize that there have been a bunch of posts on the next page already ;)
Sports Saloon Racer

My pc is around the same specs as yours, maybe abit more powerful....

Intel I7 only o/ced to 3.5...
HD 5870
8GB of 1600 MHZ ram
Plus plenty of fans in my case

I wouldn't call this a "high end" system, but it seems to struggle most when shadow's are turned on high and bloom (bloom and motion blur i auto check off, there crap anyways).
On most games shadow quality always seems to be the laag point. Maybe you should just turn them down and see what happens. Im not to worried personally, ill be getting my 2600k, HD6950 and maybe with a new mobo and water cooler for under 900$.
Last edited by Typhoon,
G-kart Racer

The problem is located in your graphics card. Well, your problem IS the graphics card.
It is a HD5770, which isn't that fast. Plus it's an ATi. But does it really use GDDR3?
In that case...disable any kind of anti aliasing and reduce the resolution. Changing shader details won't effet much, as the memory is simply too slow for the graphics processor.

TM has always been a favour of nVidia cards. Even TMNForever runs bad on ATi top-notch hardware, especially with complex shadow details.
Running TM2 at FullHD with all settings maxed causes a HD6970 (and some sort of Phenom2 X6 CPU) to run at around 60fps.
With the GTX580 the frame rates almost doubled. [url="http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=514254"]see here for some benches[/url].
Learner Driver

If the graphics card was lacking the power, surely it would be noticeable in other games as well. Check the first post in this thread, and you'll see that otherwise, his frame rates are more than good.
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 2 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem