Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  paint car with texture 
paint car with texture
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
paint car with texture  
Hi guys ...

how can i apply a texture to my car skin ??? there is only one available in the editor... I assume i have to load it into a folder in jpg format but which folder and what size??..

thx axon.. :)http://tm.mania-exchange.com/threads/new_thread/2#!/
Learner Driver

Easy way: Paint it in-game and click Save As.
Hard way: Extract the dds file for the skin, convert it to a format compatible with GIMP or Photoshop, then copy the car's folder and re-name it. Put the new dds file in the new archive.

If you're interested in skinning cars, Maniapark is the best place to go.
Last edited by Phoenyx Imperius,
Rise from the ashes!

hmmm = i think yu have misunderstood my problem..

i dont want to paint the car using in editor paint tools...

when i say apply a texture or pattern .. i mean take an already existing picture in jpg format and appy it to the car skin..

there is one available in the editor ( its a sort of lightning pattern).. how can i make my own available.. ???

c a
Learner Driver

Try this free program, if you have windows... it support dds...

paint.net
Last edited by SPIDER,
Beetle Racer

That's a bit different. If you want to use the in-game editor, you need to first create a tga file by opening the image in GIMP or Paint.net (or Photoshop if you have it), then save it as a Targa (.tga) file. Afterwords, import it as an avatar and open your custom content folders. Once you've done this, search for or create the following directory (this is in Windows 7 format. It will be in your maniaplanet folder in any case): C:\Users\(local account name)\My Documents\ManiaPlanet\Media\Painter\Stickers and create a folder with the name of the tga file. move the tga into the new folder and rename it sticker.tga, and move the corresponding dds file from your avatar folder to the new directory and rename it icon.dds (do not add the file extensions to the filenames if you have your system set to hide known file extensions).

If you want to use an external graphics editor, just load the .dds file in a compatible photo editor (Paint.net has native support, GIMP has a plugin available for the 32 bit x86 version) and work with that.
Rise from the ashes!

Yo Moped Racer...

OK = THX = that werked fine as a sticker.... and may be acceptable for my end product in mind..

It showed up in the stickers options in the editor and i was able to apply it successfully.. :)

How ever = i would really like to apply it from the image options not the sticker options.. so i followed the same routine you outlined but created an "images folder" instead and loaded my tga and icon into that.. but it does not show up in the editor ?

and further suggestions so that i can get exactly what i want ??

and btw = thanks for yr help :)

cc atozix / axon.. :)
Last edited by atozix,
Learner Driver

i unpack the car i use and open this file in paint.net SkinDiffuse.dds
then i paint the car and save it as dds then i drag it in the zip file and it worked
not sure which on i used dx1 dx3 or dx5
way cant we maka a zip and must use the orginal zip file ?
is is possible to repack a map ?
edit: repack to a working zip ?
Last edited by SPIDER,
Beetle Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem