Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Upload texture pack, signs,... --> shown when download 
Upload texture pack, signs,... --> shown when download
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
Upload texture pack, signs,... --> shown when download  
Hi, when i download a track, sometimes there are files you download: mods, songs, signs,...
My problem is that i don't know how to upload it and that it automatically downloads with your track.
I have already tried a million times, but maniaplanet always downloads the files but doesn't play or show it.
I have a track with the toundra texture pack, downloaded from maniacarpark, but also this downloads, but isn't showed...

Does anyone know how to upload a texture pack that than is shown to the people that download my tracks?
Learner Driver

You need to make locator files. Mania-creative has some good tutorials on this.

Anything that you want others to see when they're playing your track, upload to a site that gives you a direct link to the file. An example of this would be fileden or dropbox. Make sure that it is a direct link, and not a link to a page that has a download button on it, like what mediafire does. Copy the link to that file.

Open a text editor, paste the link. If the file is sign1.jpg, you want to save the file as sign1.jpg.loc. It's just the regular file name with a .loc appended. Make sure that Windows doesn't automatically ad .txt to the end (because you're in the text editor). To do this, go to folder options, and find "Show extensions for known file types." Make sure that box is checked.

Now that you're sure that you have your locator set up, you can test it yourself. Move the actual file from where it is to somewhere (anywhere) else. If the locator is working properly, ManiaPlanet will download the file from the link in the locator.

Hope this helps (y)
Sports Saloon Racer

ok thank you, but where do i upload the .loc files?
Do I have to upload it in maniaplanet or on mania exchange?
Learner Driver

When you build the track and use the assets (signs, mods, music, etc) and the locator file (.loc) is there in the folder alongside the normal file.... the game sees the locator and automatically saves the URL in the track file. You don't have to upload the locator file separately from the track file.

Whenever someone downloads and plays your track, their game will look at the track file, see the URL for the assets and automatically download those assets.

For more information:
http://tutorials.mania-creative.com/tm2_locators/index-eng-1
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

blastoxx says:
ok thank you, but where do i upload the .loc files?
Do I have to upload it in maniaplanet or on mania exchange?

I use Dropbox. Yeah, you need to make an account to use it, but I find it really helpful. It acts like any other folder on you computer. You put stuff it in. Getting the direct link is as easy as right clicking; there's no browser needed. Iit automatically syncs it with the cloud, and any other computers that have your dropbox account on it. I have 4 OS installs on 2 machines, so you can imagine how much time it saves me. Wow, I sound like an advertisement :p
Sports Saloon Racer

It's hard not to praise Dropbox at every opportunity. I've used it for 2 years, and to me it's the best thing since sliced bread. :d I use it all day every day, every time I need to share a photo, document, or need to set up locators for a mod, sign, or music for a tm track. It's indispensable. At this point I'd be lost without it.

Just a note though. You don't upload the .loc file. You upload the zip, gbx, etc. The .loc is just a text file with a URL on the first line... to where the zip, gbx, etc. can be downloaded. That's where Dropbox comes in, because you can set up direct links in it by dropping your zip, gbx, etc. into the "public" folder, right clicking on the file, choosing "dropbox" from the contextual menu and then "copy public link". Then just paste that into the top line of your .loc file, voila!
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Ok, first thank you for the replies. (y)
But I already knew that...
What i don't know is were do I set these .loc files?
Do I have to upload them anywere? or should I just leave them in my maniaplanet folder?
Learner Driver

ok, now i tried it... with the loc file in my folder
when i delete the files of the track, maniaplanet downloads it,
but when the download is done, the game falls out.
Is that normal ????
Learner Driver

I don't understand your issue. Make sure that ManiaPlanet is not running when you remove the files ...

It sounds like you successfully created a locator. With ManiaPlanet not running, put the .loc files in the folder where the pictures or whatever is. Move the pictures to your Desktop. Run ManiaPlanet, and start your track. If MP, downloads the files, you're good to go.

The point of a locator is to get other user to download files that they don't have. The locator provides a download link to the file, and MP will download the file, and make a local copy of it. So, if you remove the actual files and load up the track, you'll see the file came back. That just means your locator file is functioning properly (y)
Last edited by Bucky,
Sports Saloon Racer

well i think i understand why it didn't work, i placed the loc and then ideleted the file, but you first had to start maniaplanet and open your track, then you could delete it... thx for all the replies
Learner Driver
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem