Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Opinion poll: How to rerelease old tracks from TMN/TMNF 
Opinion poll: How to rerelease old tracks from TMN/TMNF
Page: 3 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer

I don't think so. We were basically given three names for environments for tm (2 for sm). Canyon, Valley, and Arena(?) for Tm and Storm and Cryo so far for Sm. Something tells me also that even if Nadeo doesn't remake the United envis, somewhere a ways down the line somebody would figure out how to make a compatible version for Maniaplanet. But it is a moneymaking opportunity for them to seize. Just not a priority.
Moped Racer

One can never tell with Nadeo. They gave those figures about numbers of environments all the way back in 2010. A lot can change in 3 years. The groundwork for ManiaPlanet has now been mostly laid and now the sky is the limit.

But anyway, we're going slightly offtopic here.

My only hope with people converting their maps from tmn(f) to tm2s is that they compute shadows first and take a drive through their map to see how it looks. If it doesn't look good, don't be afraid to make some lighting changes so that people can have an enjoyable experience while driving it. Some maps may need a mood change. Some may need more lights, or might need the scenery to be opened up a bit. Also, make sure all the signs on your map still work.

Bringing maps from TM1 into TM2 is vastly different visually from bringing them from TMN to TMNF.

So I exhort you to please convert responsibly! (y)
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Just to add to eyebo:

People should compute the shadows on "standard" and check if there are too dark areas. Parts that are fine on "ultra" may be too dark on "standard". This is important, since the "ultra" calculation is only saved on your own system if I remember correctly.
Moped Racer

The Ultra shadow calculation will be
1. Projected to a local cache file
2. Additionally, it will be compressed and saved to the map file
(the compressed shadows are based on the Ultra shadow calculation)

It will therefore differ from Standard shadow calculation which is only compressed to map file, I think :)
Last edited by Voyager006,
Moped Racer

I noticed that a guy is uploading old maps which aren't made by him.. is this okay? ;)
Old Age Caravanner

No, that is not okay. Report, report, report! :)
Does it djent?

:done:
Old Age Caravanner

Voyager006 says:
The Ultra shadow calculation will be
1. Projected to a local cache file
2. Additionally, it will be compressed and saved to the map file
(the compressed shadows are based on the Ultra shadow calculation)

It will therefore differ from Standard shadow calculation which is only compressed to map file, I think :)

This is exactly correct (according to what I've read from the developers anyway).

For example, on District 25, an Ultra lightmap yielded much better lighting all over the map than Fast or Default did. I presume this is because more light bounces were computed, thus providing more light all over the map.

So even after clearing my cache, the built-in compressed lightmap inside the gbx file still looked brighter than it would have had I not computed the original lightmap on Ultra.

The point is, compute as high as possible whenever possible. If your computer can handle it, take the extra time to do it, especially if your map has a lot of darker areas.

Additionally, changing to sunset or night mood for a map that has many dark shadow areas will switch on many of the lights on different blocks in Stadium and may increase the visibility on the map.
Site Leader

found a rather easy way to add light in dark areas: use the oldschool platform block with the windows. It shines a blueish green light. (useful if you had to close gaps for cutfixing and don't want to pull all open)
loves Foolspeed
Page: 3 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem