Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  What can I do better? 
What can I do better?
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
What can I do better?  
Hello!

I'm not so experienced with track-building. I've only got 5 tracks up on TMX (currently working on a 6th and 7th) and I feel that while they're ok, things could be better.

So I guess my question is, what can I do to take the next step and make really good tracks? I don't have any TM-playing friends, unfortunately, and I'm kinda ... shy? ... about PMing strangers here to ask for feedback. Is there anything else I could do?

I do spend a lot of time on my tracks (average one week – is that actually a lot, or not enough?) and while that helps me really know the track well, and set a good(ish) author time for it, it also kinda blinds me to many potential navigation issues. This was most apparent on my Ward U1 track: I'd played it so much, it was obvious where to go, but when people tried it, they got lost a lot :(

It's a bit odd maybe, but one of the reasons I make tracks is because I've encountered so many bad tracks online – ones where you need to do it perfectly to even complete, ones with blind corners, no/boring scenery. It frustrates me a bit, so I try to do better :d I place a lot of value on making a track look 'real', i.e. like it could actually exist, and I enjoy trying to fit the various blocks to this purpose.

So yeah, sorry for rambling so much :$ Basically I'd just like some advice about how to become a better track maker :d
Learner Driver

Often it depends on the genre of track your trying to make. For many tracks though, I find a nice knowledge of smooth transitions can really help (this is of course especially true for tech).

I hope others can help you more though...
Moped Racer

Yeah smooth transitions are nice, and I think transitions in general are something I need to work on – I don't tend to use them much, beyond the obvious dedicated block ones, so maybe that's something I could experiment with :d
Learner Driver

hello caerphoto,

I'd like to help you with your isssue if you are still in the need for tips, etc...

well first off all (this is what I do) Do not force yourself to build a perticular type of track.
try to find your own style of mapping :)

a good way to find this is by building some tracks for contests like MTC, etc... and see what type fits the best for you.

lik in canyon I'm known (or was known) for my "lolig styled" FS maps. I build mainly FS maps but with the lack of boosters... rather slow tracks but smooth and with nice scenery.

also try to experiment with styles.
like adding some experimental or "often seen on other tracks transitions".
I always try to find 1 or 2 original transitions or combo's or spots on my tracks to make them special.

also try to build maps with other guys like in a community project or a duo track.

atm I'm still trying to build a nice valley map XD got 5 on my comp 0 released

my main envi is canyon I just love that envi, scenery everything!

about the quantity of tracks you release says nothing if you are a good mapper or not believe me!

sometimes people just build a few maps for months and upload them all in one week.
others seperate them over some weeks so you'll have less tracks/ "time"

most of the better builders take longer building times than the normal mappers.
since you have to check every detail, test everything from different angles and if you can't manage to do this all by yourself, ask people to test your maps (this is something I do everytime) I let others test my map every 5-15 seconds I add to a map to see: if it only works for me or also for others (this is really needd for online track since lots of ppl will drive it and not everyone is as skilled as others)

also you have to check your maps for cuts, is the scenery ok or is it overdone? is the signage good enough or do we need ingame help with the MT to point arrows in the right direction. as you will see this all asks time, for some ppl it'll take less time than for others (I am so bad in MT so it'll take ages for my mt work)

anyways I hope this 'll clear a bit more about mapping in overal.

if you like I'm always willing to build a duo map or anything like (helping with maps, testing maps ,etc...)

if you like more advise I 'll give you this link on wich ppl can help you:
http://www.funtrackers.net/
(FT clan is one of the 3 major mapping clans of TMX we've been around here for years, so some will have lots experience, I also advise you to contact clan members from LT or XT these complete the 3 major mapping clans)
btw: To LT and XT I'm sorry but I lost you guys their clan page links XD

Kindly Regards,

Lolig

Moped Racer

Try racing other maps and find a beta-tester, so you get some feedback ;)
MX Supporter

I don't know if you have already seen this but there is some great advice in here.

My other suggestion is that most of all, make maps that you enjoy. Thats's the whole point to this map making thing, in my opinion. "Be true to yourself" might sound a bit corny but when it all comes down to it, you are your own greatest fan.
Beetle Racer

Hello all! Sorry I've taken so long to reply – busy with other things a lot lately (dreaded Real Life :s ).

First of all, thank you again for the advice and encouragement, it is all very helpful.

Regarding my 'type' of track, I think I'm settling a little on that now: I guess my tracks generally have the following attributes:

• Easy to complete, with no hard lower limits on speed/skill. I can't stand tracks that demand you drive perfectly for 30 seconds else you don't make a jump. I prefer tracks where the challenge is getting a good time, not whether you can even complete it at all.

• Based on the previous item, I try to make my tracks have as few 'dead' parts as possible, by which I mean I try to make it so there's always something to do, rather than just driving straight ahead. This is especially true near the start line – I don't much like tracks where there's 10 seconds of not a lot to do: just get me to the action already :d If there's lots to do, there's also lots of places where you can improve your time.

• Also somewhat related to the first item, I try to always iron out any bits that cross the line from 'difficult' to 'frustrating' – attention to small details makes a big difference, in my opinion. As an example, I found that it was often hard to judge this corner because the blue sign at the edge was hard to see through the grass, so I added a small wooden fence:

A seemingly minor detail but it makes a big difference.

• I try to make my tracks completable without requiring GPS. This is primarily because I only really play online, and having to sit through a 50-second guide just so I don't get lost suggests to me that the author hasn't signposted (whether literally or via the design itself) the route properly. Obviously sometimes I don't do as well as I'd like ("Ward U1 by   caerphoto being a good example), and of course it's difficult sometimes because I'm so familiar with the layout that it's hard to put myself in the mind of someone who's never seen the track before.

• I try to give my tracks a sense of being a real place, like they're small parts of a bigger world, not just bits of road randomly existing in the middle of nowhere for no reason. It's sort of like I want my tracks to look as if they're a real place that's been temporarily converted into a racetrack. Obviously with the actual racetrack parts in Canyon that's less of a priority, but even then I still try to make them feel like actual places, with no weirdly floating bits etc.

• Fun for online play. This is kind of a meta-point, in that it really encompasses all of the above, but with the additional condition that the track should be shorter than 1 minute, to give players a chance of a good amount of runs around it. A shorter track also has the additional bonus of being less frustrating when you make a mistake ;)

Does that seem reasonable?

So yeah, that's how I like to make tracks! I guess the next part of the question is how do I get people to actually drive them? :d A big part of my enjoyment of trackbuilding is seeing others have fun driving on my creations.

Well anyway, I think I've babbled on long enough now. Thanks again for the advice, everyone!
Learner Driver

ok as far as I can read you are someone who likes to build maps like tech maps.

well tech maps are pretty famous amoung hunters and online.

my tip: make some friends online in servers wich provide your kind of maps, wich has a decent amount of avarage players.

try to ask the admins to add your maps on the server, (let them test it) if they don't like the track or it doesn't fit the main server style it'll be deleted otherwise it can be placed on the server.

also try to help others with their maps wich will make them help you improve yourself and give feedback => more ppl will dirve your maps

once on a server try to add your map to the jukebox.
do not always pick your own maps, also take other players their maps but adding once in a while a map of yours will force others to drive yours.

for the rest keep enjoying building etc :)

other places where your kind of maps will run nicely: GP servers (not Grand Pa's FS server), and normal race maps servers (well i don't know any of these servers but I know there will be some)

(I can't give any more info about this since I'm a 100% fs driver and mapper :p, these maps you call frustrating, drive 30second perfectly to get a jump XD)

anyways goodluck!

lolig
Moped Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem