Location: Home  Community Forums  Deployed  Classic Leaderboards 
Classic Leaderboards
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Classic Leaderboards  
We have been thinking about (finally) introducing the Classic leaderboard.

The classic leaderboard entails the leaderboard of maps selected by MX Moderators (and may or may not be selected automatically later). Maps selected are in general maps with a very high track value. This will take out high value maps from the main leaderboards, making space for new maps to get more worthy again. Classic maps together then get their own leaderboard.

How Classic leaderboards were implemented in TMX:
http://united.tm-exchange.com/main.aspx?action=threadshow&id=565661&page=0 says:
o Once a classic, the track will no longer count toward your normal leaderboard rating.
o But instead, it will count toward the classic leaderboard.
o To top the "classic" leaderboard you simply have to hold the most world records across all classic tracks.
o As a tie-breaker, we count how many top10 placed replays you have on classic tracks.
o This will not be easy, as these tracks already reached a high level of competitiveness to become classics in the first place.

In my opinion, the way classic leaderboards are implemented in TMX doesn't sound that appealing. We/I had the following idea:
  • - Every classic map got a fixed maximum track value (say, 100).
  • - The 1st player (leader) gets 100% of that, 2nd gets 50%, 3rd 25%, ...
This makes sure that placing yourself 1st yields a lot of points, but makes having a WR not a requirement to get ranked to some degree.

Feel free to leave suggestions, discuss or comments regarding the classic leaderboard implementation in this topic.
Last edited by TGYoshi,
Segmentation fault

I'd set the point percentages a bit different still.

1st: 100%
2nd: 55%
3rd: 30%
4th: 15%
5th: 5%

Not big difference tho.
Beetle Racer

We have 25 replays for each top. I propose 2 different approaches:

1.- GP Championship style points - The gap between one and the next one decreases by one until said gap is equal to one, and then points count down to 1. (70-60-51-43-36-30-25-21-18-16-15-...-1 as an example)

EDIT: Of course you could choose a different point system to follow this scheme or even a multiplier over the said system and it'd be the same idea.

2.- 100 points is too low for a half-the-points approach. In fact, anything under 500k would be too low. After all, classic tracks are probably tracks with all 25 replay slots occupied. I suggest a decrease in 25% (100 / 75 / 56.33...) and a maximum point amount of 1000. After all, these tracks should be removed from the main leaderboard so having 82000 points here shouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by FT»Osaka,
The Green Dude

I like the cumulative leaderboard of MX much more than 30-day of TMX because of the long-term incentive to keep playing and sending replays, no matter how high or low the track is rated.

One thing that won't work: Taking high rated tracks off the traditional leaderboard. It'll become pointless as great players are going to lose thousands of points.

2 suggestions:

- Classic tracks, same leaderboard. Sticky value. Every Sunday the best rated track of each environment becomes classic.

- Boost value quickier as the track gets higher rated. Actually it's 1 point/beaten position no matter if track score is 10 or 1000. It could be 2/position after 100, 3 after 400, 4 after 900, 5 after 1600, etc.
G-kart Racer

I kinda agree that 50% drops are quite extreme :p.

FT»Osaka says:
After all, these tracks should be removed from the main leaderboard so having 82000 points here shouldn't be a problem.

Just looks a little a weird in my opinion ;).

---

-Morte_745- says:
I like the cumulative leaderboard of MX much more than 30-day of TMX because of the long-term incentive to keep playing and sending replays, no matter how high or low the track is rated.

Doesn't this simply mean "upload as much replays as possible to win"? Only summing someone's top x replays sounds like a nice way to prevent this in my opinion. I think this is quite the problem with the current main leaderboads, they're pretty much based on activity.

-Morte_745- says:
One thing that won't work: Taking high rated tracks off the traditional leaderboard. It'll become pointless as great players are going to lose thousands of points.

I wonder why you think it's pointless, I think it simply allows new maps to take their place. Great players have to play other maps if they want to stay in the lead, or focus on the Classic leaderboards. I think classic leaderboards will mainly affect the top 10 leaderboards though.

Giving maps a sticky value on the same map is a possibility, but in the end it doesn't allow new maps to take the throne I think. Soon or late the focus of replays lies on those high-value sticky maps.

Another option is having 3 leaderboards:
- Top X (non-classic)
- Classic (only classic)
- Cumulative (classic and non-classic)

Isn't the track value somewhat exponential already?

Thanks for your feedback ^^.
Segmentation fault

I like the idea of three leaderboards!

Then there's still a chance for the hyperactive guys (cumulativ), the skilled ones can stick to the high-valued tracks and have their "own" leaderboard (classic) and there will be some kind of turnover in trackvalues provided by the Top X non-classic leaderboard.
Moped Racer

Yoshi, I think Morte's point was that he didn't like the expiration of replays. And about looking a little weird, I'm sure you'll get used to it pretty fast.
The Green Dude

I tried to say that without the replay expiration there's a reward for playing underrated/forgotten maps.

The 3 leaderboards sounds great :)
G-kart Racer

TGYoshi says:

Another option is having 3 leaderboards:
- Top X (non-classic)
- Classic (only classic)
- Cumulative (classic and non-classic)

Voting for that !
Moped Racer

The following 3 (4) leaderboards selection sounds fair to me;
- Top 25(?) Replays (Your top 25 replays scores summed, excluding classic)
- Classic maps (All scores summed of classic maps)
- Cumulative (All scores summed)
- Nadeo (Unchanged)

Force classic maps to have a 1000(?) points base. Position 1 gets 100% of that amount, position n gets 70% of positions n-1's score. Something like that.
Posting a replay on a classic map counts for both the classic and the cumulative leaderboard, but not the top 25 one.

In case you have feedback/comments/whatever about the leaderboards listed here, feel free to replay.
Segmentation fault
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem