Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Is it actually legal to put famous song on your track? 
Is it actually legal to put famous song on your track?
Page: 2 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer

That's what I meant in the first place. As far as I'm aware its illegal to share your music on the internet for free, and it's also illegal to download the music in some countries.

If I hosted some music on fileden and gave Tuta the link and he downloaded, I'm pretty sure we have both broken the law. If I host a map with custom music in it at MX and Tuta downloads it I would have thought that would be both of us breaking the law again as it's pretty much the same thing :s

But... If you didn't host your map at MX and put it straight onto a server with map download disabled then maybe neither the host nor the player visiting the server have broken the law, don't know, certainly it's no different to YouTube in that case, but then YouTube has a special license allowing them to have music on their site. :'(
Last edited by voodoo,
G-kart Racer

.dejavu says:
FT»Joyeux says:
Well, Tuta, it's like if you invited a friend at home, and both listen to a music. You bought it, but your friend didn't, and he listens to it though! Is that illegal? Ofc not. 8-|

I've to remind everbody that getting a music which you didn't pay IS illegal. ;)

WRONG

Is illegal to download music through P2P programs.
You can download for FREE the music, but you can't share it.

And I must quote myself, seeing as I'm the only one who actually posted a law instead of just saying it's legal/illegal.

Remember 9/11 says:
Illegal?!

I can site a clause... scratch that... an entire section in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that says otherwise.

Section 107 of the Digital Millennium Copyright act states, in exact:

... says:
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

I would assume that since user made content for a game, whether the host game is commercial or free, is considered non-commercial (nonprofit) uses AND that there is, worst case scenario, no effect on sales (it would more likely have a positive effect), it is considered fair use. That doesn't mean you can't be sued about it, however. Fair Use is a defense, not a protective right, and the ultimate decision is by a judge.

If you doubt the song is owned by the claimant, you may be entitled to SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) protection or be able to press legal charges against the claimant.

Since the EU is part of the UN, they are probably required to support some law or another that mirrors this.
Rise from the ashes!

Here (EU) it is illegal to share music, but not to download it.
This by the way makes file sharing legal if you don't upload anything. :p

In a TM context I think using little known bands would only help the band (did anyone ever hear of Synaulia before Invictus?).
Moped Racer

Sorry for going kinda off topic but since I make tracks for trackmania I realize that I probably spend just as much time on a race track as a musician on a music track but I share my creations for free and those musicians want jaccuzis and jetplanes for it. So since im a trackbuilder I dont pitty musicians at all for losing their luxery life. And internet is great for unknown artists. The big musucians get less and the small musicians get more. The system will control itsself. No need for big anti piracy companies who just want a piece of the pie.

Oh btw I once heard that using a .mux file as music is legal in TM instead of .mp3 or .ogg. But im not sure about that anymore.
Last edited by GR.,
Quad Bike Racer

to be absolutely correct
mux or ogg files aren't music files
so you don't share music, you share data
THINK its not illegal yet

Okay I figured this out by common sense, but it might as well be accurate.

If you convert your music to ".mux", the music is only playable via TrackMania. Also, it's impossible to download the music if you drive the track - you only hear it when playing. If you upload it via Dropbox, people are unable to get the download link either. So I think it's pretty safe that way. Just a guess, though. It sounds more legal than YouTube to me...
Back in action!

Converting to .Mux for dummies:

First convert your .mp3, .wav or .whatever into .ogg (using a 3rd party program).

Then start the ManiaPlanet Launcher.

Go to: Help > Custom Data > Convert music

Browse to the .ogg music file and open it. The file will be instantly converted to .mux and placed in: C:\Users\user\Documents\ManiaPlanet\Media\Musics
Quad Bike Racer

Thx Ganja :d
G-kart Racer

GanjaRider says:
Converting to .Mux for dummies:

First convert your .mp3, .wav or .whatever into .ogg (using a 3rd party program).

Then start the ManiaPlanet Launcher.

Go to: Help > Custom Data > Convert music

Browse to the .ogg music file and open it. The file will be instantly converted to .mux and placed in: C:\Users\user\Documents\ManiaPlanet\Media\Musics

oh dear, that's 100x easier than what I've learned to do :$
Whether or not it's legal, half of the world would be in prison if stuff like this was always enforced. I don't think it will affect anyone if you add music to your track ^^
Moped Racer

It's illegal to put copyrighted music on the map if you share it.
File format does not affect the relevant.
Secondly, I personally don't like most of them songs. :-w :$
Last edited by 2bfree,
Learner Driver
Page: 2 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem