Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Is it actually legal to put famous song on your track? 
Is it actually legal to put famous song on your track?
Page: 3 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer

2bfree says:
It's illegal to put copyrighted music on the map if you share it.
File format does not affect the relevant.

Can u back that up with a law?
Last edited by GR.,
Quad Bike Racer

To quote Prodigy:
F THEM AND THEIR LAW! :cool:

Distributing a track with a music file is illegal (playing it is not). However few bands have the backing/funds to pursue a lawsuit, and even if this is a criminal offence in some jurisdictions, they have to A. learn about it first and B. care. And it seems governments these days have slight budget issues. It's like jaywalking - illegal, but unless you do it in front of a cop nobody will care enough to report you. And even if you do do it in front of a cop, he may well have better things to do than stop and give you a ticket.

Oh, and what is much worse than sharing music is sharing imported cars via Carpark. That site is legally on unstable ground because it is full of imports from other commercial games, and while the car "maker" has no intention to profit, Nadeo does (and they themselves encouraged the use of custom cars in an interview). Even if you only make skins you're still guilty because you need to include the car model file as well.

My recommendation is to apply good faith and use tracks by unknown artists and credit them in the intro. They may even sell an extra cd, and your track will stand out more if you pick an original music genre. A bad choice would be an obscure techno remix - there's only one of it, so people will not buy a cd and it may be nontrivial to find online, incentivising people to try and record it.
Moped Racer

Jet777 says:

Whether or not it's legal, half of the world would be in prison if stuff like this was always enforced.

If you want to get into a technicality, fix'd.

I won't post the fair use clause again simply because it appears that by doing so I give people a reason to ignore me.

However, it seems as though the only thing protecting everyone from being thrown in jail for a good ten years of their life is the fact that such a thing is a practical impossibility. Not enough jail cells to go around.

Finally, copyright law is a serious issue. There is no right way to go about implementing it. If you give power to the copyright holder, you punish the public. If you empower the people, you punish the copyright holder. It ultimately infringes on human rights no matter how you implement it (or don't implement it).
Last edited by Phoenyx Imperius,
Rise from the ashes!

Enai Siaion says:

My recommendation is to apply good faith and use tracks by unknown artists and credit them in the intro. They may even sell an extra cd, and your track will stand out more if you pick an original music genre. A bad choice would be an obscure techno remix - there's only one of it, so people will not buy a cd and it may be nontrivial to find online, incentivising people to try and record it.

In TMU/NF I used some music from www.jamendo.com

It is creative commons music and there are thousands of unknown artists there of all genres. Some of it is pretty damn good, a lot better than many of todays famous "stars". However, a lot of it also totally sucks and regardless it's just not the same as racing along to classic rock hits :p

Just make sure you quote the Artist, Track name and a link back to Jamendo in that popup that happens when song starts and I'm pretty sure its 100% legal :)
G-kart Racer

Whether is it legitimate to put copyrighted music on your website, YouTube video, etc., or any other publicly distributed the work to be heard? No without the permission of the copyright holder. Why you put that kind of music the map even if it's a "small crime"? ;) It's better to be honest :d
There are differences between countries but the EU is harmonizing the law.
U.S. Copyright Law - check out Chapter 10.
Last edited by 2bfree,
Learner Driver

2bfree says:
Whether is it legitimate to put copyrighted music on your website, YouTube video, etc., or any other publicly distributed the work to be heard? No without the permission of the copyright holder. Why you put that kind of music the map even if it's a "small crime"? ;) It's better to be honest :d
There are differences between countries but the EU is harmonizing the law.
U.S. Copyright Law - check out Chapter 10.

You ignored Section 107: Fair Use...

*Expects to be ignored for bringing up fair use again*
Last edited by Phoenyx Imperius,
Rise from the ashes!
Page: 3 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem