Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Working on a sign pack - what do you need? (Xpost from mania... 
Working on a sign pack - what do you need? (Xpost from maniapark)
Page: 4 of 5
Post Reply  0 Observer

.dejavu says:
To be hones, signs should look the most minimalistic as possible, without text, and only ONE single shape. No immages, clip-arts, texts, and so on..
The TMX signs were perfect! Minimalistic, essentials, and really intuitive!

The level of detail depends on the speed at which you approach the sign and its importance.

Some signs are important while driving and need to be read at a glance: arrows, corners, min/max speed etc. These are simple basic shapes with no text or (if absolutely necessary) huge letters to convey the actual speed limit.

Some signs are warnings and need to be read at a glance, but do not have a standardised symbol in the outside world: low roof, obstacles, unexpectedly tight corner, re-use, drift/noslide etc. If a simple sign is not possible, given the trade-off between clarity of the message and readability at high speed, the sign has a distinct shape and colour so you can recognise it quickly after you've seen it a few times (that red impact flash is shared among every collision hazard sign; every corner-related warning has the text on the inside; etc).

Some signs offer advanced help or are read at low speed: respawn road, follow the ghost, drive backwards, PF start etc. Here complexity does not matter, ambiguity does. These all have text and a detailed icon.

Some signs are just for flash: a booster sign for instance doesn't really help the driver because there is no way he won't see the booster coming. People put booster signs because they make the track look professional and/or dangerous and/or to provide some colour. This also goes for signs warning about loops, offroad, wallrides etc. Because these signs are not meant to be useful, I made them look more pretty and detailed.

Of course the screenshots show mostly the flashier signs because who wants to see a screenshot full of arrows?
Moped Racer

I actually would love to see a small preview of the arrows (l)
Moped Racer

why there's an enginekiller sign if there's no enginekiller blocks in canyon?^^ + what is shown on slowdown sign?
Zimmer Racer

Space says:
why there's an enginekiller sign if there's no enginekiller blocks in canyon?^^ + what is shown on slowdown sign?

I think its a brake
Last edited by adder,
Quad Bike Racer

Update - added pictographic versions of the sharp turn and wallride signs and a few special signs like a black/white grid. I'll post an array of all signs this evening or tomorrow.

I'm not sure yet where to host them. The admins were discussing the possibility to host these signs as official MX signs... 5 days ago. Alternatively Hawkger would host them on his webspace, but then I don't get the free publicity of course. I suppose I'll just have to wait.
Edit: :done: !!!! Coming soon to MX.

The engine killer is for people who want to use the signs in TM1, and maybe for valley...
Last edited by Enai Siaion,
Moped Racer

Arrows:

Lightwall colours:

Ads:

Moped Racer

those signs are wicked nice! i would love to see a sign that indicates a slide tho, if possible.

EDIT: just turned a page back and found it. :$
Last edited by banjee»UD,
Beetle Racer

I'm loving a great deal of these signs, as well as how intuitive they are. The only one that's bugging me is the "Turbo Boost" doesn't strike me like it uses enough of the negative space. Perhaps if it were more shaped like an actual turbo one would install in a car? Or perhaps a the car icon surrounded by like.. hyperspace or something? The arrows beneath the ride merely strike me as a badge or shield.

Overall great work though, My signs don't really compare xD
Learner Driver

The only standardised icon for a boost are coloured chevrons, anything else is not obvious at a glance. Sideways chevrons with the top down car icon would make better use of space, but also indicate a direction which is not the intention.

However, due to bloom issues with some icons I'm providing alternate boost signs, which are just coloured chevrons. If you don't use the actual chevron signs in your track, these are an unambiguous and very clear way to indicate a booster.

Meh. :(
Last edited by Enai Siaion,
Moped Racer

wow awesome signs :)
Beetle Racer
Page: 4 of 5 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem