Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Why I use an adblocker 
Why I use an adblocker
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Why I use an adblocker  
Before you yell at me that I'm just being selfish, hear me out.

I've had major problems with redirect ads in the past. I access a page I normally use and after three seconds a small overlay pops up and says that I'm being redirected to a "relevant site" that might interest me (turned out to be yellowbook.com).

Using an ad blocker is my way of saying no to aggressive advertisement (as in "buy our product or we'll DDoS you" aggressive) and similarly implemented scams (like the "Personal Antivirus" Trojan Horse Registry Hijacker).

It's nothing personal, I just would like to see all aggressive advertisement like that eventually be punishable by law worldwide.

The redirect ads were not caused by adware on my end (I stay away from stuff like Ad-vantage and other garbage like that), but they were widespread. I could only assume it was Google Analytics that that was adapting to my ignore all ads habit of web surfing. Even though I use TACO (an opt-out service for targeted advertising), I still get barraged by redirect ads and other aggressive junkware.

Bottom line: I use an adblocker so I can actually control my web browser (really browsers, I'm testing out Lunascape 6.4).
Rise from the ashes!

No one asked, no one cares.

Quad Bike Racer

Chrome + adblock plus. works like a charm for me. blocking ads from downloading even improves pageload speeds :cool:

afaik, no ads exist here, so how did this come up?
Sports Saloon Racer

fallout says:
No one asked, no one cares.

Quite the troll, aren't you...

Bucky says:
Chrome + adblock plus. works like a charm for me. blocking ads from downloading even improves pageload speeds :cool:

afaik, no ads exist here, so how did this come up?

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and TACO with Albine 4.0, and Lunascape 6 in Gecko mode with Adblock Plus for Firefox and TACO with Albine 4.0 for Firefox.

I had mentioned Adblock Plus on TMU-X, which had ads, and people seemed to think I used it because I was selfish and didn't want to support the site.
Last edited by Phoenyx Imperius,
Rise from the ashes!

I use Flashblock for Firefox. This solves three problems at once:

1. It stops annoying video ads from playing (which always distract me).
2. It makes some web pages faster because it doesn't load 20 embedded youtube videos at once.
3. It stops those ads that IMMEDIATELY PLAY A VIDEO WITH SOUND AND SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF ME BECAUSE I HAD MY HEADPHONES AT MAXIMUM VOLUME AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

I also changed an option in Firefox that blocks webpages from automatically redirecting the page.
G-kart Racer

Windows3.1 says:

I had mentioned Adblock Plus on TMU-X, which had ads, and people seemed to think I used it because I was selfish and didn't want to support the site.

So you read something on one website and decided to write your response on a completely different website.

brb gotta post this response on yahoo questions
Quad Bike Racer

Windows3.1 says:

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and TACO with Albine 4.0, blah blah blah with Adblock Plus for Firefox and TACO with Albine 4.0 for Firefox.

ps did you fail english class

grammar is hard
Last edited by fallout,
Quad Bike Racer

Whoa, I had my caps lock at full volume and got scared by your post :p

also, I don't think ads generate revenue from views, just clicks. But if you can't see them, I guess you can't exactly click on them ...

It seems a little redundant to be running all of those plugins ...
Sports Saloon Racer

fallout says:

So you read something on one website and decided to write your response on a completely different website.

TMU-X was the old track exchange for Trackmania United and most of the people from that site are on here too.

fallout says:

grammar is hard

I would ask the same of you, but that would be disrespectful.

"Adblock Plus for Firefox" and "TACO with Albine 4.0 for Firefox" is actually what Lunascape 6 (a browser that uses the Gecko, Tridant and WebKit browser engines, although not simultaneously) calls those plugins. I was specifically repeating what the browser said.

Adblock is actually one word in Adblock Plus, a proper noun. TACO stands for Targeted Ad Cookie Opt-out.

I guess I can confirm that you are indeed trying to troll me.

Bucky says:

Not really, Lunascape doesn't share plugins with Firefox, thus requiring additional installations of the said plugins. However, both browsers run the same engine (actually Lunascape runs every single major browser engine) so plugins made for Firefox also work for Lunascape in Gecko Mode.
Rise from the ashes!

MING says:
fallout says:

TMU-X was the old track exchange for Trackmania United and most of the people from that site are on here too.
0/1

fallout says:

grammar is hard

I would ask the same of you, but that would be disrespectful.
0/2

"Adblock Plus for Firefox" and "TACO with Albine 4.0 for Firefox" is actually what Lunascape 6 (a browser that uses the Gecko, Tridant and WebKit browser engines, although not simultaneously) calls those plugins. I was specifically repeating what the browser said.
No one asked.

Adblock is actually one word in Adblock Plus, a proper noun. TACO stands for Targeted Ad Cookie Opt-out.
No one cares.
I guess I can confirm that you are indeed trying to troll me.
1/3
Bucky says:

Not really, Lunascape doesn't share plugins with Firefox, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Quad Bike Racer
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem