Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Honor the best mappers ! 
Honor the best mappers !
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Honor the best mappers !  
The mappers are the one to keep this site alive. Without good mappers this site would be nothing. It`s already done by displaying BoTW for sure, but I think it could be done better and more. To demonstrate what i mean i composed a screenshot;

It is available space for it on the front page and since the number of awards received are already calculated, it should not be that much coding to implement this. The author names displayed are just samples done buy copy and past and does not reflects the real picture. It could also be added the numbers of tracks submitted by the author, and the average award, a.s.o.... U name it....

Just a suggestion !

Moped Racer

list sorted by tracks/awards ratio would be better then imho.
Zimmer Racer

How I wish that I had 4,974 awards! O.o :p I think space's suggestion is good though, because then track spammers like *cough* Mr. DVD *cough* would not be able to dominate the list over those who release fewer tracks but then receive more awards per track.
Beetle Racer

Banjee says:
How I wish that I had 4,974 awards! O.o :p I think space's suggestion is good though, because then track spammers like *cough* Mr. DVD *cough* would not be able to dominate the list over those who release fewer tracks but then receive more awards per track.

I don't like such a list and Banjee shows why - because it's just another list that leads to grudge and jealousy.
Award/Ratio list is just as useless as the total awards list because you can stay there forever with only one track in your life. Would it be an encouragement to build more tracks?

If I had to choose I'd suggest the first one because not somebody who releases one track in 3 months and gets 50 awards keeps mx alive. It's these people that you call track spamer. Nobody is forced to award their tracks but they still get awards. Obviously there are people who like the tracks.

However, for the explained reasons I'm against such a list.

But, I think it would be a nice addition to the user-search to be able and search for award ratio.
Last edited by SkunkY,
..wasn't me

I'm with skunky on this one.

Judging track and by extension, author quality is a discussion that's been going on for quite some time. The truth of the matter is that there's been no agreeable, conclusive way to rate authors based on quality. It's not something that can objectified feasibly. A track's quality, especially versus other tracks is complete subjective. I think MX is just going to have to let you make your own decisions on the 10 best authors.

You can always look at the users page and sort by most awards, if that's what you really want.
Sports Saloon Racer

SkunkY says:
Award/Ratio list is just as useless as the total awards list because you can stay there forever with only one track in your life. Would it be an encouragement to build more tracks?

I have to say that I agree with SkunkY on this one.
Beetle Racer

Just unbelievable....
Moped Racer

In my opinion, such a list would only make the gap between famous and unknown authors wider.

Besides, how do you determine who is the best mapper ? Who do you determine which map is the best one ? That's a matter of taste. A big part of TMX players enjoy playing mini tracks with ugly block mixing. Does it make these tracks the best ones ?

Also, many awards are friendly. MrDvD is a good example of this (no offense dude, if you ever read this). I've tried some of his tracks with much attention. Most of them often get a lot of awards and end in the botw. I know it's subjective, but i found most of them pointless. They were not bad, but not funny either. None brought anything interesting or original, but they still got far more awards than other tracks i've found pleasant.

Most people award tracks not only because they like them, but also and mainly because they are friendly with their author. I too must admit that i'm not only awarding tracks because i enjoyed them, but also because i think their author needs more attention than they get. All that would make such a list totally unsignificant.

If a list has to be added, it would be, in my opinion, a list of authors who make original tracks, tracks that are really special and different, innovative and refreshing ones.
Last edited by SkunkY,
Quad Bike Racer

Virus says:
In my opinion, such a list would only make the gap between famous and unknown authors wider.

Besides, how do you determine who is the best mapper ? Who do you determine which map is the best one ? That's a matter of taste. A big part of TMX players enjoy playing mini tracks with ugly block mixing. Does it make these tracks the best ones ?

Gotta agree with much of the above said, and specialy with these points I quoted from Virus.

IMO you can not determine a "best" maper. It's all a matter of taste. For me for example it would be shadow ( http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/u/1218 ), a very good driver and he builds great tech tracks. I think over half of his awards are written by me ( 40 tracks and i htink i awarded em all, he deserves it, 60 awards... ), he is totaly unnoticed here by the MX crowd.

All in all I think the Botw is allready onesided enugh. If anything, I would like to see a return of the united-tmx showcase system, it brings more variety because different authors get to pick whatever they like :)
Last edited by smigles,
Old Age Caravanner
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem