Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Honor the best mappers ! 
Honor the best mappers !
Page: 2 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer

... says:
Also, many awards are friendly. MrDvD is a good example of this (no offense dude, if you ever read this). I've tried some of his tracks with much attention. Most of them often get a lot of awards and end in the botw. I know it's subjective, but i found most of them pointless. They were not bad, but not funny either. None brought anything interesting or original, but they still got far more awards than other tracks i've found pleasant.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that their point of view is not the measure of all things?
Different people - different tastes!

Just because you don't like a track doesn't mean it's not good or couldn't be exciting for other players.
There's so many players that are so freakin' sick of 'creative' and 'original' tracks you couldn't imagine.

Mr. DVD (and others) serve exactly the kind of tracks these drivers want! Thus they award them.
..wasn't me

SkunkY says:
... says:
...I know it's subjective... ...i found...

Please read before being unpleasant.
Quad Bike Racer

Ok guys, i waited a little to give more comment about it all, but here it goes; IMHO, space is the only one have constructive comment. His suggestion is good, BUT, it is available space on the front page of this site for both. One for the best mappers, and one for the best map.... Since Forzyy is not "forced" to do anything but his own personal idea, influenced by whatever it might be, (Thats not our business anyway) we are just to take whatever comes from him after all. However, it would be wise for him to listen to the majority of the users, and not so much to the minority, as the majority is the one to "vote up" specific maps and mappers anyway, and there is just nothing we can change about that fact. Some of the argument agains my suggestion here are just as silly as the one i read sometimes from some, that this and this track is overated..... Talking about other mappers might be jealous ??? Oh, really? Maybe we should not display or showcase anything at the frontpage then, to avoid others "grudge and jealousy"?? Also talking about named mappers, that happend to love to make maps, and are highly appreciated for it by the majority, as track spammers and as if they would happen to dominate a list like that, as an, because of that, argument against it, are also just as silly, again IMHO.......

And also the point of Skunky is, IMHO, just as silly... So what if the track "Tiger Blood" by Ganjarider will stay on the top of the list in the frontpage forever, beaten by no one ? All honor to him for that achievment ! ! !

And this "subjective" oppinion about what makes a map or a mapper good, does not belong here at all. Thats a totally other discussion Virus ! It is, by how the award system works today, already decided by the majority ! Just live with it, untill, and if, the system will be changed.....

And then smigles; if u like to see a return of whatever showcase system, then make a tread about it and suggest it ! Why u use what u personally would like to see as an argument against my suggestion? It could be space enough for both on the frontpages..... Yeah, 3 or 4 list like that would not be any problem as fare as i can see....

However, available space on the frontpage might be reserved for classic track leaderboard and nadeo leaderboard, like in TMX, but then it should be easy for u forzyy to gently inform about that, so then it would be no more room for my suggestion, an argument easy to accept and "swallow"...and an end of this discussion.....

My suggesten was in fact, not to change the award system, just to showcase the result of the existing on the frontpage, as long as there is available space for it. If u have other suggestion for use of this available space, then plz suggest it.... Thats all I ask..... It just cant be that wrong to honor somebody, can it?
Moped Racer

Nesrally says:
However, available space on the frontpage might be reserved for classic track leaderboard and nadeo leaderboard, like in TMX, but then it should be easy for u forzyy to gently inform about that, so then it would be no more room for my suggestion, an argument easy to accept and "swallow"...and an end of this discussion.....

THIS is what's going to happen. It's not hard to guess that classic tracks are going to be on the front page when they're ready.
Btw, there are new threads and new (and old) suggestions coming every day. forzy has other things to do than to reply on every single suggestion again and again.

... says:
It just cant be that wrong to honor somebody, can it?

It isn't. However, all these lists are available. We just can't put everything on the front page.
Talking about majorities, as far as I can see the majority was always trying to break the dominance of the so called famous authors. 9 of 10 discussions are about that and not vice versa.

Virus says:
Please read before being unpleasant.

I'm reading your posts.
Virus says:

Also, many awards are friendly. MrDvD is a good example of this

This is pleasent then? Just because you add what you add to this statement doesn't change the core of your statement.
And not only is it unpleasent but also an allegation with no proof.
Last edited by SkunkY,
..wasn't me

I love the way you only quote incomplete parts of what i say... Really honest...
Quad Bike Racer

So what was the point of your post?
..wasn't me

First of all, I really appreciate seeing suggestions and interesting discussions. Everyone sees things from their own viewpoint. And I think it's important to try and see things from every angle. Sometimes people have reasons behind their own arguments that you may not have considered. But sometimes people don't really consider all of the implications of their idea. That's why it's important to discuss it.

As I see it, everything on the front page should be of practical use to every user. That should be the primary focus. If it's of no use, then it will be of little interest. Let's cover what's there right now....

News and blogs... a way for users to get information about things going on, whether it be things to participate in or news about something that happened to keep them informed, or maybe even a new feature of the site.

Latest Tracks, Recently Awarded, MX Supporter Tracks, Best of the Week, all are dynamic lists changing all the time. Always new things to try out and keep you engaged as a player.

Canyon Leaderboard, Top 10... I actually see less use for these as they don't change that often. However, it serves as motivation for users to try more tracks, post more replays, and it increases the chances that you might get feedback on one of your tracks.

I don't personally see how a list of most awarded authors would be of use to me. I mean, we can already look up that information by going to the user page and searching for those stats.

I'm #7 on that list. So maybe I even speak as an insider here. I just don't see a reason to reward someone's popularity. The popularity should be reward enough, shouldn't it? And that's what awards really are, when looked at in mass. It's a metric of the author's popularity.

I'm very well aware that my tracks are no better than a lot of authors who receive a fraction of the awards. And that's not even a style difference. Some tracks are in the exact same style as mine, and yet they receive very little attention.

I'm not saying my tracks are bad, but I really wouldn't want to be in a list of "Best 10 Authors". It's simply not accurate. I don't mind there being a way to look up authors with most awards. It's definitely interesting. But if you put it on the front page it suddenly becomes more than interesting, it becomes important. And I don't think it's important.

The topic says that it would be a way to honor them. I don't really see the amount of awards you get as an achievement to be honored. It's something out of your control. We should instead honor those who strive to make good tracks, doing so by giving heartfelt feedback to them and taking the time to try their tracks. It shouldn't be based on past award counts they get, but instead on the quality of their tracks.

In the tracking clan I'm in, we have the motto... "awards don't make the track". It means, the amount of awards a track gets doesn't really tell much about the track itself. Awards should not be the motivation for building a track. Your motivation should be about pushing the game forward, being innovative, or simply having fun, making something you want to make, or something you enjoy to drive. If people reward that effort with awards, so be it. For sure, awards are always nice to read, and help promote your track so that more people play it. That's of course appreciated. But awards are not what really matters. It's the track that matters.

I think we have to keep focused on tracks here on MX, not awards. The past is full of experiences where people became obsessed with awards. Some still are. Awards simply aren't that important.

If none of my future tracks got any awards, I would continue to build, because I love to the process of creating, and I love making something that I enjoy driving.

Well, those are my reasons why I think such a list is not the best idea. It serves no real purpose, except to further inflate the popularity of authors who are already well known.

There are other lists that would be interesting to me and useful on the front page, like the list of newest tracks by your favourite authors. On TMX United we also had the ability to choose which windows we wanted to see on the front page. That was cool too.

And of course, I'm really stoked to see a Valley LB! Mostly because it means we'll have Valley at that point. =p
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

eyebo (777) says:
The popularity should be reward enough, shouldn't it? And that's what awards really are, when looked at in mass. It's a metric of the author's popularity.

THIS. So much this. And the rest of the post, too.

The only thing I'd have to add is that if you're worried about filling unused space on the front page, I'd rather see a list of random tracks or authors. I don't think that this is an important addition to the front page, as you can summon a random track with a click.
Sports Saloon Racer

I agree with you about awards eyebo. That's not what matter the most. BUT : awards -> visibility on the home page -> more download -> your tracks get shared as you want it to be, and this is all the purpose of mania EXCHANGE. Awards are not the final goal, but without awards, it becomes pointless to build things that almost no people will try/notice, just because this is not what the majority likes.
Quad Bike Racer

I can't agree with that statement. Building is nowhere near pointless without awards. I know I've written about this before.

Most of the guy. I don't think they need to be on the front page twice for virtually the same reason ...
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 2 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem