Location: Home  Community Forums  General  A word about Locators + Dropbox Links 
A word about Locators + Dropbox Links
Page: 1 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer
A word about Locators + Dropbox Links  
Please note: The information given on the first two pages of this topic is partly outdated. See page 3 for up-to-date information :)

As you know, you need a direct link in order for locator (.loc) files to work.

Many of us have come to depend on dropbox. The "public" folder has allowed us to grab a "public link" that was also a direct link for the file. This is great for creating locator (.loc) files. The good news is that this still works for those of us who have old dropbox accounts.

But I've just learned that dropbox accounts created after July 31, 2012 no longer have a public folder. Instead, you can share a file from any folder in your dropbox (old accounts can do this now too). The problem with these new links is that they link to a webpage with a download link instead of being a direct download of the file itself.

Example of a shared file link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6ozc1svfbfhr63/dMw.jpg?dl=0

There's a quick and easy way to turn this into a direct link though!
Just change the "www.dropbox.com" to "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" (that's DL as in DownLoad) and remove the ?dl=0 from the end of the URL and the link will be a direct link.

Example of the same link with "www.dropbox.com" changed to "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" and the "?dl=0" removed from the end of the url, turning it into a direct link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q6ozc1svfbfhr63/dMw.jpg

Now anyone can make direct links from any file in dropbox. :)
Last edited by Solux,
Site Leader

Great tip eyebo!

And im a little happy I have an "oldschool" account now, will spare me annoying moments for sure :)
· · · – – – · · ·

About locators.

Is there any place /site with free ogg files we can use ?
Sound effects etc. would be fun to make a track withs ome cool sounds like birds singing or something else the possibilities are endless if we have some sound source with free sounds. and it increase some depth to the canyon
I have found some songs but those isn´t that good or i don´t want to use same song in all my tracks :s

can some of you that use music in your track share the links here to the songs ?
so we all can take advantage and get music in our track. unless it´s forbidden :$
Beetle Racer

There are several sites with free mp3 sounds and songs to be found.

Mp3 can easily be converted to ogg with Audacity
· · · – – – · · ·

I'd probably search youtube for nature sounds. It's amazing what people post there. I once found a record scratch sound that I sampled for one of my videos.

Once you find the video with the sound you want, then download the mp4 video with keepvid.com.

Convert to wav or ogg with foobar2000. foobar2000 requires you to find the oggenc2.exe for encoding to ogg, so you might just want to use audacity for converting to ogg. Whatever works. :)
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Just adding that one can use VLC media player to convert from mp3 or mp4(youtube files) to .ogg :)
Many have this media player installed already i guess for watching movie files so thought i just mention that :)

Here is a quick mp3 to ogg guide i found using VLC: Link
G-kart Racer

I dont use VLC anymore, its terrible , i don´t really can answer way but thats the way it is.
I use KM player and that is awesome you can do so much with it.

Anyway: Thx for the heads up :)
Beetle Racer

I just use this site if your looking for something online. Legitimately works, but I've gotten errors trying to convert more than one at a time on different tabs. Just adding...
Last edited by Cxom,
Moped Racer

Seems like the right topic to ask...
I'm having troubles with locators in media/images/...
I've made a png for some mt work, which works fine. But as soon as I replace it with a locator "image.png.loc" and the proper link inside the loc file, it won't work?!
I've done locator stuff with music already, which apparently works fine.

It's so hard to find information about all that, it's painful. I don't like having to ask, but I'm running out of ideas... :|

Thanks in advance!
Quad Bike Racer

Dont replace the image. Keep the image and the .loc

If I understand you right?
· · · – – – · · ·
Page: 1 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem