Location: Home  Community Forums  MX Events  MTC March 2013 - "Unusual Multilap" - Results on page 5! 
MTC March 2013 - "Unusual Multilap" - Results on page 5!
Page: 5 of 6
Post Reply  0 Observer

It is now time to pester our judges with result requests, since the 2 weeks have passed.
The Green Dude

You can pester all you want, unfortunately, those who were initially considered for judging declined at last moment. I've already found a replacement and will act as a second judge, but you need to give us this week to do it properly.

In the meantime, please visit the April MTC thread and start building :-)

Those of you who have been successful in past months might give consideration to "paying it back to the community" and volunteering for some future MTC as judges -- that would be awesome.
Moped Racer

I would have loved to judge if my school work wasn't adding up this much. Next month maybe :)
Moped Racer

Well, I hope you find judges, who can distinguish between mapping competence and mapping creativity. I'm still shaking off that ugly accusation of not being creative, because one of my first maps ever failed to meet driving expectations of a judge while I put my heart into the design. That was not particularly encouraging and quite puzzling to me.

If I were to make a suggestion to a judge:
- do not mix up bad track design with bad map design! :-w
- remember we are all humans, who love to share and want to provide fun for each other! Support that in your comment!
- if you cannot ride a track properly, ask someone, who can or simply don't judge! Don't vent your frustration on the track creator or generalize your opinion. (e.g. you don't like the look, the look doesn't have to be bad, it's just not your cup of tea, so don't claim you'd be the voice of the people. You were not "voted into office"!) :o
- consider your responsibility, but more than anything, consider to put advice into your comment and no judgement. Judgement belongs to the numbers of your ratings! :build: 8-|

Just my 2 cents on that subject. Share some happiness folks... ;)
Quad Bike Racer

Taronium says:
Well, I hope you find judges, who can distinguish between mapping competence and mapping creativity. I'm still shaking off that ugly accusation of not being creative, because one of my first maps ever failed to meet driving expectations of a judge while I put my heart into the design. That was not particularly encouraging and quite puzzling to me.

If I were to make a suggestion to a judge:
- do not mix up bad track design with bad map design! :-w
- remember we are all humans, who love to share and want to provide fun for each other! Support that in your comment!
- if you cannot ride a track properly, ask someone, who can or simply don't judge! Don't vent your frustration on the track creator or generalize your opinion. (e.g. you don't like the look, the look doesn't have to be bad, it's just not your cup of tea, so don't claim you'd be the voice of the people. You were not "voted into office"!) :o
- consider your responsibility, but more than anything, consider to put advice into your comment and no judgement. Judgement belongs to the numbers of your ratings! :build: 8-|

Just my 2 cents on that subject. Share some happiness folks... ;)

- Part of the reason may be the less-than-optimal language skill of the judge. It takes a lot of skill in a language to express criticism in a way that doesn't "hurt" the recipient.
- Judging will always be subjective and it's a good thing that it is. When judging becomes completely objective, then it's not judging anymore, it's Measuring. I wouldn't want to have a track-building competition where the only criteria would be those which are measurable (track length in time, in meters, track size (graphics cost), number of banners, number of checkpoints and the difference between World Record #1 and World record #10 in milliseconds).
- If judges would have to phrase every single sentence in "In my humble opinion, this track ..." instead of just "this track ...", you'd become allergic to the "IMHO" part very quickly. Yes, they are not voice of all the people. If you believe you can do a better job, please, I urge you, volunteer for the next (actually current) MTC, and show how to do it better.
Moped Racer
MTC March - Results!  

Full size image

Download the results with judging comments here

Congratulations to haenry for his unanimous victory!

Big thanks to wait who stepped in as a backup judge and managed to get everything rated in a short timeframe - much appreciated!

A News post will be published within the next 24 hours, bringing some extra spotlight to the 4 medal winners. I'll also post an extra award on each of the medal winners.

As you might have noticed, I've been promoted into a moderator so that getting some spotlight for the competition via the News section is now easier.

Don't forget - MTC April is underway!
Last edited by Alcator,
Moped Racer

Lodec says:

(...)
i cant really understand {redacted: the} results
(...)

Dear Lodec, I went through ALL 12 tracks. Some were brilliant, some were playable, and some were -- IN COMPARISON to the other ones -- almost painful. My task as a judge is to provide enough information so that a "From best - to last" order can be created. To support this, the rating is broken down into a multitude of criteria, and for a track to really shine, it must shine in many of these criteria. I can see that you're a racing-oriented man and the only thing that matters to you is RACE RACE RACE. But that's not what MTC is about -- we have themes and the judges have to keep the theme in mind. If the theme called for unusual multilapping, and the unusual'ness is broken as soon as you respawn or scratch a wall, then there has to be a point reduction -- otherwise, a similarly built track that DOES NOT get broken by those things would have no way of beating the first one.

In this round, haenry and Osaka managed to combine great racing with great multilapping AND great fun.

Last edited by Alcator,
Moped Racer

@ Lodec: Competition => judges => subjective. If you don't like that, please don't let it show... It might ruin the fun of others who do see the 'necessity' of subjective judging. Of course you're allowed to tell us what you think, but remember that it's your opinion => subjective. Anyway, I'd like to thank Alcator and Wait for judging, and thanks even more to Alcator for the constructive criticism! And no hard feelings, Lo :)
Moped Racer

sry guys for not thinking too much before writing
i only wanted to get rid of my anger
again a mtc where i have build a not only my opinion nice map and i got pretty last
Beetle Racer

I deleted my post
would be nice of someone would read what i tiped in instead
@alcator:
could you delete the Quote pls?
i dont want you to forget this but i would be really pleased if this wouldnt be here anymore
Beetle Racer
Page: 5 of 6 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem