Location: Home  Community Forums  MX Events  Basco 2014 Stage 3 - Nitroguy wins! 
Basco 2014 Stage 3 - Nitroguy wins!
Page: 5 of 6
Post Reply  0 Observer

haenry says:
yes, some respawnways could be added later one, that's right.

lolig, different voting criteria for every judge is actually the advantage of having so many judges. One judge looks more at respawnways, while the other judge looks more precisely at flow and a third one likes to be picky on diversity. All three combined they provide a more solid judging result than just one of them does.
Now imagine what categories 10 judges will look at (automatically) and thus they are even more precise and provide a more solid result. This way it is okay that votes from a single judge do not resemble the overall result, but sure are they important for the overall result ;)

Out of those 3 judges, one is not looking at the intended track layout. My point is that and nothing else.
The Green Dude

You have to judge what's there, not what the builder actually had in mind and intended to do.

"oh yes I can understand why he build 10sec straight, the previous excellent idea didn't work due limitations in the editor. So the straight part is a good part of protest. 10/10"
That's not a legit way of judging.
This would be appropriate:
"only straight, wtf? But I like the idea, it's something different 2/10"
Last edited by haenry,
gado is a

"The track is great but I can't respawn so 0/10" - That's not supposed to happen in a legit judging process haen. In fact, if it did, you wouldn't have won the weird laps MTC.
The Green Dude

Seriously, I don't get your problem. If you are some of the "super hyper transitional guys that don't care if a player can finish that track", then continue building as you did. If you build a map that is finishable for all drivers, then we can talk again. A map can be as beautiful as it want to be, let it be in the route, the creativity of the blocks, the transitions, but if a normal driver can't finish it, the map simply sucks. The BASCO is a community project, which means a map build from players for the community!

Here I can give you a quote from the rules of the BASCO2012 (click here for full summary):
... says:
4. You can modify landscape as necessary, just don’t change the driving experience of a previous stage. From Stage 3 on: Please put at least one respawnable CP into your part. Every CP you set up must be respawnable.

Might be that haenry forgot to add it or decided to make the rules more variable, but I'm just posting this so you know how this things used to be. So you might call me an oldie, but according to my opinions, a map that is unplayable for all kind of drivers is not worth to be driven (e.g. on an online server/offline might be still okay though). And that is the beauty of this voting system. Everyone can give their opinion.
Moped Racer

I didn't add it because the frontpost is already super long and barely anyone reads it entirely. So many people just ask me if it is allowed to do x or y. So adding even more text would make the situation even worse :s
Additionally, I don't think it's necessary to give too many rules, as point deduction in the judging will usually take care of everything that was done in a bad way.
So there is no need for "build an accesible track" , "try to make the map fun" or "build a good map" :p
Last edited by haenry,
gado is a

judging respawnability is just ridiculous in my opinion
on a great track respawning just destroys the map and it isnt that fun to gon on, so you should drive the whole map which is fun. i am especially talking about fullspeeders, transitional maps or speedtechers...
Beetle Racer

tcq: if you drive a map: and you are stuck on a certain point do you respawn or just restart a map?

I prefer to finish a map in 1 run without respawning so I never respawn, and every run I drive everything better and better, (like adsun's part I FS it whole, and can't slide near the curve /cp that connects to nitro's part.

I managed this due to restarting the map over and over, I'm getting better lines and everything becomes easier with time.

you see, most maps are made to be droven in 1 run, look at cp ways how they are build, (they are mostly ugly, weird and different from the original route) to be sure you could finish a map if you really do not want to restart a map. and if it is to hard you just give up and blame the mapper/ map as it is a bad map.

that isn't the way maps are.

for example try Rast maps on tmu (the islanders :p) have fun driving them!
they are damn hard but epic, it is worth even driving them halfway.

anyways you'll get the point.

also about the "hyper transitional" thing you mentioned: why are you bitching about it right now? if you were here from the start you could have put your idea's from the start, the 1st part from tobbe is just nice but sorry he build the style you hate, doess this make the map bad? nope its just not your taste.

you see we all try to fit the next parts onto the previous ones. going from that smooth nice style to a rough racing map with just basic plain blocks placed next to each other without any good variety I don't know it'll work out.

also I just tried to drive osaka's map from the cp. you know from 5 runs I finished 3 of them. I just made a wider turn to make more speed... try to drive in a different way if you are stuck at a cp. do not drive the original way. as I mentioned above.

lolig
Moped Racer

lolig, you're doing it very different from me.
When I join a TA server or play a map, my first run is determined to finish. No matter how fast or slow I am. I want to finish the map on my very first attempt to get the idea of the route. So respawns are essential.
If I want to hunt the map later on to set a decent record, than it's obvious that respawns won't be needed. But until there they are a must.

Another issue are rounds servers or cup servers or team servers - basically all modes that only give you one attempt to finish. If you somehow hit a wall in the last section of the map and thus you cannot make the last jump, although you have been first so far with a big lead. How angry would you be seeing that respawning and maybe finish 3rd is not an option?
I do care a lot about respawns. They are in the game for a purpose ;)
gado is a

@lolig:
About the map by itself, did you ever heard the word diversity? You know that you can mix multiple styles in one map without ruining it? And as the map is supposed to be finished in 1 minute, it is safe to assume that this map is also intended to be played on online servers.
Did you ever used to play on Mistrals World Selection in TMU? If yes, you probabbly remember this one dakkon desert map that used to wipe the whole server empty because to finish it, you needed to play it for at least half an hour. This means you needed to play the map over six times to be finally able to finish a map once. Nothing more to say here, except read haenrys post once more.
Last edited by tcq,
Moped Racer

tcq:

btw I've been checking the valley servers yesterday... a whole day 2 or 3 servers open with only 3-8 players online...
will this map really go online than? I don't think so...

the servers that had most players were canyon and stadium. valley seems to died out for some reason..
anyways I'm not going further into it since I've already made everything clear about what I wanted to say.

I don't think it'll be any good to keep discussing things over and over since we all have an other view of the case (re read all the posts in this discussion if you don't know what I mean)

lolig
Moped Racer
Page: 5 of 6 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem