Location: Home  Community Forums  Resources  [Tutorial] Making a GPS 
[Tutorial] Making a GPS
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
[Tutorial] Making a GPS  
There are two types of GPS's that I use.

1. A "Wait GPS" This means the GPS starts if you wait at the starting line, usually after 3 seconds.

2. A "Triggered GPS" This means the GPS starts from driving somewhere. Sometimes it's when you drive towards a GPS sign, sometimes it's when you press back/forward, etc. Basically, this is any GPS that starts from somewhere other than the starting line.

1. Tutorial for a "Wait GPS"

Start by opening the "In Game" part of Mediatracker. A blue block should be on the screen. If it doesn't show up, click this button:

Put the blue box where the car will be at the start of the race like this:

Click the block button again when you're done. Next, click the "+" to add a track. Now click "text." By default it will make the text 3 seconds long. Shorten it so that it is 1 second long. Click the square on the right side of the green bar and add another text track. Repeat this so you have 3 text tracks that are 1 second long. Finally, add a 4th text track and leave it at 3 seconds long. The text tracks will be "3" "2" "1" and "GPS Wait." It should look like this:

Next, add a ghost by clicking this button:

If you click on the ghost track this part will show up:

Add 3 seconds to both times like this:

Click on a square at 3 seconds and add a "Camera Race" track. To make the camera race end at the same time as the ghost: Click the end of the camera race, hold shift, click the end of the ghost.

Select the "Camera Race" and change the Target to "1-(Ghost Name)." The clip should now show: "GPS Wait:" "3" "2" "1" and then it will show your ghost. The problem is, this will play even when the player doesn't wait. To stop this from happening, you need to place another clip just outside the first one. Click the other plus button to add a clip:

Now, set the trigger right after the first one:

This clip can be empty, or you can add text if you want. Some people add a text track that says "GPS: Aborted."

If the player waits at the start line the GPS will start after 3 seconds. If the player drives, they will hit the 2nd trigger that cancels the first one and the GPS won't play (y)

2. Tutorial for a "Triggered GPS"

This type of GPS is similar, and actually easier to make. Place a trigger at the start (same as in a "Wait GPS") but only add 1 text track. Add text that tells people where to go for the GPS ("GPS left" "GPS right" "GPS press forward" etc). Next, place a trigger where you want the GPS to start at. For this example, I'll put it in front of the GPS sign (This sign was from the MX Sign Pack).

For this clip, add a ghost and a camera race. The camera race should end with the ghost just like above.

At the start of the race, the player will know where to go for the GPS. When they drive there, the GPS will start (y)

For both types of GPS, make sure you uncheck "keep playing" for all of the tracks.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please ask them below!

If the pictures are hard to see, here are the links so they will be full size:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
Last edited by Zack11,
Moped Racer

Thanks zack,

nice to have it right here for the case my old brain forget
something. :| ;)
Speeeed

Haha don't worry, I forget things too ;) I'm glad I could help! When you become comfortable with mediatracker, you can do just about anything :d
Moped Racer

great tutorial indeed! i remember when all these tricks where on maniacreative.. too bad it closed but I'm glad there are people like you here who brings tutorials here too ;) (ps I like that for scenery change too)
Last edited by DMW»UD,
Quad Bike Racer

IT WORKS THX

But another question how can i make an AWESOMMEEEEEEEEEEEEE intro for my maps for like competitions
G-kart Racer

One of the best things for awesome intros are "Custom Cameras." Ozon made a nice short tutorial that shows how to make custom cameras :d You can find it HERE.
Moped Racer

Uhm , stupid question :

Does this also works for stadium maps , or converted stadium maps from TMX ?

Last edited by Phantom,
Learner Driver

Phantom says:
Uhm , stupid question :

Does this also works for stadium maps , or converted stadium maps from TMX ?

Of course it work ;)
Trying Unique Idea

Ok , when I read this stuff it looks so easy and yet I can not get it to work as it should be. :'(

My gps starts but whem I drive myself the gps also starts. :p

When I change things I see gps drive away from me , lol. :o

So I keep screwing things up. :@

Any tips ? :s
Last edited by Phantom,
Learner Driver

... says:
My gps starts but whem I drive myself the gps also starts

You forgot to put a clip who desactivate the GPS activation. It's a empty clip you must put.

... says:
When I change things I see gps drive away from me , lol

It's because you forgot to put a camera or you did not change the camera to follow the gps and not you
Trying Unique Idea
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem