Location: Home  Community Forums  Help  Not that great computer! 
Not that great computer!
Page: 2 of 4
Post Reply  0 Observer

As a general rule, laptops are going to lag more than a regular desktop when it comes to gaming. They have in my experience, anyway ;)
Moped Racer

FT»Joyeux says:

Do you have any tip to make my computer more powerful? 8-|

I heard that there is a program called GameBooster. I haven't tested it myself (Because my PC is uberpowerful and as cool as me (brb) ) But it's worth trying (y)
Last edited by FT»Mandark,
Beetle Racer

i have pure gaming huge pc, with twin gfx cards and sometimes still get bit lag, but i think its the 1.8meg speed i have due to living in the outback "sticks", sometimes i feel lucky to even be online game, but i have a 275mb router which helps....anyway back to the person that started the post..like said above laptops not for great gaming, as wel all know
pc are great one day a few months later its a mid good machine a couple of years and you are looking for something new..unless you buy something very good to start with..knowing it can be updated much later, like i did !

to be honest, if you know very little about pc/laptops, never go by yourself to buy one, please take someone who does know something, a sales rep, gets a bonus on how many he sells ! you where easy money to him, i am guess he would have picked up on it,before you said a couple of words..this is not your fault, in my eyes you want a gaming pc, look for nice big cpu,loads of memory,and a dam good graphics card...the cheapest way to do this is to build it yourself/or get someone to do it for you, but saying that pc's are very cheap nowdays, unless you pay what i did, even after building myself £2500 gets a very top end machine..i am lucky beta game testing paid for it lol

make sure no spyware, newest drives, virus free all bums your machine down like said above already ^^^
Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

I work on the floor of a store that sells PCs. I make an hourly wage, and no commission (despite the fact that I made 3 good sales today). My opinion is an honest one, based on my on experiences and knowledge. I won't point a customer to something they don't wan't, and I'll gladly tell them that they can't get gaming PCs where I work. So, not all places are like that (y)

Second, always wait on big purchases. Read up on what other buyers have to say about it. Generally speaking, sales reps cannot give you accurate ins and outs of every machine on the floor. They might recognize a laptop that has dedicated graphics memory as a 'gaming computer' even if the GPU is laughable, relatively speaking of course. I could go on about how to buy a computer, and make sure you get what you want, but that's not the topic at hand. (Neither is the fact that I was never really a fan of HP's PC division, and apparently they didn't either) :p

I can only elaborate on solutions proposed in this thread already. I recommend CCleaner. It will remove orphaned and temporary files, improving general performance. You can choose to keep you browsers history/cache/etc. if you want. If I recall correctly, it will also tell you whether or not you should defragment your HDD (google it).

As said before, turning down things like water geometry all the more pertinent parts of trackmania to use up a little more resources. If you're driving online, press 'O' to turn off opponents. The are a big source of framerate issues, even in higher-end machines.
Sports Saloon Racer

Space says:
@rev: turn off 2d/3d decals + set water/car reflections to low, this will improve performance a lot (y)

i dont know what that is but THANK YOU!! Must've doubled my fps just turning off 2d Decals
· · · – – – · · ·

2d decals add some cracks and other stuff on textures :)
Zimmer Racer

Thanks for all your advices guys. :)

@dan!el: water/car reflection was already set to low, and 2d/3d decal was already removed. ^^
Moped Racer

I have a notebook, with 1gb of graphic memory, 4gb ram, and i can play tm at almost max settings without problems.
I never understood why people think that notebooks are not for gaming.
Maybe an old notebook isn't the best, but common', where's the difference?
In your case, i will do everything i can, like update drivers (graphic driver especially), then cleaning up as much as possible my pc, and try to play again.
But one thing i noticed, is that when your notebook starts to be old, and you use it a lot, the most of the performance problems, are because of the hardware usage.
So there aren't a lot of solutions....
Moped Racer

.dejavu says:
I have a notebook, with 1gb of graphic memory, 4gb ram, and i can play tm at almost max settings without problems.
I never understood why people think that notebooks are not for gaming.

I used to have a Gateway P-7811FX. The hardware could handle high level graphics, but it kept overheating. Heat is a computer's enemy, and if things get too hot even the most powerful system will have a hard time with high-end games. While Desktops are designed to pull cool air in, laptops are designed to force the warm air out due to a much smaller internal volume. Not a very efficient way of cooling a system that regularly tops 100F in a desktop case.
Rise from the ashes!

It seems not all graphics settings work in the beta. There may be hope.

Also, overheating will not slow down your pc, it will just cause some hardware to conk out at a random point in time. Happened to me once, with a €400 graphics card (yowww).
Moped Racer
Page: 2 of 4 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem