awards
Page: 2 of 36
Post Reply  0 Observer

The solution would be to make everyone upload track anonymously. But that would never happen ^_^
G-kart Racer

scala says:
its depressing when there are so many great tracks out there that never see an award or comment

of course that's sad, but there are quite some possibilities to 'promote' one's tracks in order to get more feedback (and even more will be added to MX soon). if people do not use any of them, we can hardly help them getting 'known' on MX. (except by downloading random tracks, which I should do more often... :$)
Quad Bike Racer

This was the reasoning behind the 'Be an Angel' topic.

Keep in mind that MX is still very incomplete, and we might see updates that help this along.
Sports Saloon Racer

I don't like the actual rating system. I think a 1 to 10 would work better. Something like 7/150 (Overall score based on 1-10 / Number of votes). This is the very basic idea. There's a lot of formulas we can aply here.... Stats are a ciencie itself. And they work. You can introduce a lot of factors like, number of downloads, score on the leaderboards (a nice trak usually has a high score if you beat the record), or replays sents to beat that score....
Ciencie has advanced a lot since humans just can award, or nothing XDDDD
This way simplistic system is a joke itself in the computers era.
Last edited by DeMeNs,
Quad Bike Racer

You mean science?

Alternative rating systems have been discussed before. The fact is, that whatever system the userbase is given, it will be exploited in some way that others will complain about. As far as we're concerned, simpler is better. I daresay that this needn't be discussed anymore, because there are pages and pages of it on TMNFX. A wise man once told me that just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should. Just because advances in statistics allow us to come up with a hugely complex rating formula, doesn't mean that it's the most efficient way to go. Also, think about all the calculations and requests the server would have to do with a large, involved formula. It's just too cumbersome. The awards system is simple, and, when used correctly, it works.
Sports Saloon Racer

Bucky says:
You mean science?

Alternative rating systems have been discussed before. The fact is, that whatever system the userbase is given, it will be exploited in some way that others will complain about. As far as we're concerned, simpler is better. I daresay that this needn't be discussed anymore, because there are pages and pages of it on TMNFX. A wise man once told me that just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should. Just because advances in statistics allow us to come up with a hugely complex rating formula, doesn't mean that it's the most efficient way to go. Also, think about all the calculations and requests the server would have to do with a large, involved formula. It's just too cumbersome. The awards system is simple, and, when used correctly, it works.

Sorry if this topic was disused before in the "other" forum... I didn't use the forum of TMNFX (I'm learnig english just now :) ) And I just saw this topic right now... I think it will come more new users with Canyon who are wondering the same... I just was posting my opinion in a open thread from 19 sept 2011... If this topic has been discused before maybe Moderators should close this with your explanation.

I don't mean a "huge complex formula" is needed (I still think it will work), Just a bit more complex than Yes (I like) or Nothing. For example something like this: :gold: , :silver: or :bronze: will give the rate system a little more deep... I'm not a programer or a mathematic, I don't know if this is too complex to implement on a web...
Anyway I like this site as it is.
And I like moderators who give a kind explanation about a topic already discused to new users :)
Quad Bike Racer

DeMeNs says:
I don't like the actual rating system.

That's already where the problem is. People regard the award system as a 'rating system' although it doesn't claim to be one. It doesn't tell anything about the quality of a track, and it's not supposed to do so!
Quad Bike Racer

A gold/silver/bronze system was also suggested a while ago.

The awards system is the easiest to implement, both in terms of server footprint and actual implementation. It's on you the userbase to make sure it is used the way you want to see it used.
Sports Saloon Racer

btw, is there anywhere said that awards system is a rating system? awards number just shows how many people liked it.
Zimmer Racer

exactly what i said, space :p
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 2 of 36 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem