Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Gymkhana... track style suggestion 
Gymkhana... track style suggestion
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
Gymkhana... track style suggestion  
I got TM2 three days ago and I have been experimenting with the car's handling a lot (especially the drifting). And I noticed that it's very responsive and controllable. So I thought, why shouldn't we try building Gymkhana type courses in Canyon and see what comes out of it :d
For those who don't know what Gymkhana is, here's an example of how it looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2AAkcCUMmE yap.. I love dirt 3 (l)
I know that this isn't quite competitive style, but at least we can try something :p
Old Age Caravanner

Would take an awful lot of skill with MT, but that sort of thing might be cool.

Or, is it possible to script some sort of collect-the-coins game mode in place of checkpoints? You could use those in place of checkpoints, as a sort of 'hidden package' (i really don't know much about scripting :))
Moped Racer

I think you say that we should build a track with missions, and that is possible if you are familiar with the media tracker and those tracks is called rpg.

get above speed 300 for example or the screen be black and you have to reset and
try again till you succeded kinda cool.

Beetle Racer

Wikipedia says:
Gymkhana events are time and/or speed events in an automobile. These can feature obstacles such as cones, tires, and barrels. The driver must maneuver through a predetermined "track" performing many different driving techniques. What separates gymkhana from traditional autocross events is that the gymkhana requires drivers to perform reversals, 180 degree spins, 360 degree spins, parking boxes, figure 8s and other advanced skills. Drifting is also encouraged where helpful or necessary. Essentially, a gymkhana is any event featuring a starting point, a finish line and some sort of "obstacle" to get through, around, or by, all within a certain time limit.

I don't see why you couldn't do a track like this. It'd be much like freestyle in that it's all about respecting the concept behind it, not just trying to finish.

I'm going to try to make a gymkhana track soon.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

I've already got one, although it's a Ken Block style track with a defined start and finish. I'm crossing some "t"s and dotting some "i"s at the moment - my TM2 server is taking a decent amount of my time.

Although it's a fun idea, it's actually quite hard to build such a track due to the size of the canyon blocks. Blockmixing can (and will) help, but overall it's important that the track be as tight as possible, like having adjacent checkpoints at right angles or RPG-style narrow gaps in corners.

Mission tracks also sound cool, and remind me of Crusard's story tracks. The "restart if you go too slow" idea also reminds me of the movie speed, which was a great idea ruined by poor scriptwriting and referenced by F-Zero GX's sixth story mode chapter, "Black Shadow's Trap".
Last edited by Phoenyx Imperius,
Rise from the ashes!

Gymkhana event...there is always going to be people cheating and taking short cuts ! but i would love to build something
for people who would drive it the right way, maybe a nice gps would work well with it !

+1 for Gymkhana event drivers who want this build
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

wraith says:
Gymkhana event...there is always going to be people cheating and taking short cuts ! but i would love to build something
for people who would drive it the right way, maybe a nice gps would work well with it !

+1 for Gymkhana event drivers who want this build

If the track is properly designed, it would be impossible to take cuts.
Rise from the ashes!

I personally see it working much the same as freestyle tracks. You can of course run through a freestyle track, try to find all the CPs and finish... but the actual point of the track would be lost. The same can be said for the drift scene that was popular in Coast in TMU. People drove the tracks slower than was actually possible, but it was all about trying to keep the drift going.
Site Leader

been messing around with this idea Gymkhana event, the block mix programme works well with this idea
but sadly i am mega busy with other things right now, even to make 1 track, to much work in my house going on
without the help from sivert and his work on white city mod, it would have been scrapped...

so what i will do, is look into it again around a few weeks time... :)
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem