Location: Home  Community Forums  General  What do you love most about Canyon? 
What do you love most about Canyon?
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
What do you love most about Canyon?  
Disclaimer: I know the game isn't perfect and there are bugs that still exist. I know there are things that some people see as serious flaws, but I try to overlook the bad and focus on the good. I have faith that the bugs and bad things will be fixed. I submitted dozens of bug reports during the beta, not because I wanted to rant on the game, but because I wanted to voice what I saw was wrong in hopes that Nadeo could make the best game possible. I have faith they will continue to improve it throughout the next few years as they work on the subsequent ManiaPlanet titles. That having been said... now I'll tell you what I love most...

For me, its the driving. I have incredible fun every time I get behind the wheel (well, keyboard in my case). Drift this way, drift that way... find the best line... keep the speed. I absolutely love the physics. Finding what parts I can actually get by without sliding is also fun. The more I drive Canyon, the more I love it. I love every kind of road, from the ledge canyon roads to the wide GP ones, to driving on the quirky scenery pieces like the pipes.

Coming in a close second is the editor itself. I love all the new features like copy/paste and the ability to save macro blocks. There's so much in the editor that is like a dream come true. I can't count how many times I've run out of space in the TMF editor and needed to move the entire map, but it was this gargatuan task. But that's now been eliminated. I can also save as macroblocks some great transitions that I might discover while building. They may not work in the track I'm building now, but I can save them for later quite easily.

And what about ManiaScripts? The AutoGen script really demonstrates what is possible with ManiaScripts and its truly incredible. I can't wait to see what else people cook up in the months and years to come.

Calculated shadows (lightmaps) are saved inside map files now... making loading a lot faster and making all maps look really incredible. Stadium introduced us to lightmaps, and the system of how we use them has finally been perfected in Canyon. This does more than make loading faster, it also means lightmaps are now a serious part of track design... and there are some maps that I either love or hate because of how the author approached lighting. It's suddenly become a major part of how we design not only a map that is clear to drive... but also looks amazing.

This isn't specifically about Canyon, but about ManiaPlanet. Now that ManiaHome is now front and center when you open ManiaPlanet... I actually find myself using it regularly now. I used it some in TMF, but I definitely use it more now. It's awesome to see what your buddies are up to, when they've beaten one of your times, or just a conversation that someone has started on one of the notifications.

The variety of blocks is really amazing. Of course it's always nice to have more, but I find myself really enjoying building maps in the editor. There's more than enough blocks to keep me busy for a while... and I hear from Hylis' blog post that even more are on the way!? Wow!

In TMF, I found myself focusing more and more on how the tracks I made felt to drive... and I stopped worrying about doing unique or crazy things or focusing on map concepts... but just making fun maps. And Canyon seems to really be designed for that idea... to just build really fun maps for pure driving. I love it! And yet, I know crazy stuff is also possible. I've played some maps by Nimrod and others that really stretch the limits of what you think of as a "normal" track in Canyon.

Signs that really glow. I think that's partly due to bloom being on. But it really adds a nice atmosphere to tracks. Also the ability to use colored lights on the light blocks. I can't wait for KEV Fan to make another "Funky Night" map now that he can actually do colored lights and not just signs.

I love the fact that it's not sold in brick and mortar stores. It's online and it's always kept up to date. The new updater means Nadeo can push out an update to us anytime and continually improve the game in small increments without waiting months or years to do a major update. That's a major shift from previous games, and I welcome it!

These are some of the things I love about Canyon, what about you?
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

graphics, drifting (not on narrow roads), blocks copy-paste (tho imposs to copy ground to air or air to ground), better testing in editor (not necessary to go to needed height), fast replay/tracklist reloading (finally, hell yeah).
Zimmer Racer

Things i like:
How natural it feels to drift. I think nadeo got the drift mechanic almost perfect. Also the weight of the car and how fast you feel you going is great to.

The look of canyon (the scenery) gives off a pretty nice canyon feel..

Lastly i like the track editor. It has a nice feel to it. I also like the new stuff in the MT editor especially the fact you can see ghosts in it!

That's my list,
Typhoon.

Last edited by Typhoon,
G-kart Racer

Drifting. (l)

I have played so many other games, Burnout Paradise City, NFS, and many others. But the drifting in TM is just so dam smooth and awsome. I went back and played Paradise city a while back, and Im like, "wow this is so bad."
Beetle Racer

Thanks, eyebo ;) I think you made this thread longer than the other one with that post :p

I like the handling of the car, specifically how it's much more forgiving than the stadium car. I also like the appearance of damage and the overall look of the game. The new lighting system is just fantastic. I'm pretty much behind everything that eyebo stated.

Most importantly, I like how, underneath it all, it's still very true to the TrackMania franchise. Nadeo did not go overboard with the new game and make it unrecognizable. If it wasn't branded at all, we would still know that it belongs in the series.
Sports Saloon Racer

I love finding new ways of using the same old blocks. When I first started playing TM2, building tracks and playing online on others' tracks, it seemed like there were so many useless blocks. There seemed to be only a small selection of useful blocks. Over time, I began to see how to use some of these useless blocks, especially loops. Recently, I have been experimenting a lot with all kinds of things. Crazy stuff, like a banked GP transition into a wallride. They don't often work out, but when they do, it is bliss.

I love extremely fast drifts.

I love red boosters.
G-kart Racer

I love the moment when you go from a drift to not drifting :) :) what makes the game awesome :d
· · · – – – · · ·

Tuta says:
I love the moment when you go from a drift to not drifting :) :) what makes the game awesome :d

most awful thing for me in the whole Canyon handling, lol.
Zimmer Racer

And then Tuta was never a normal kid you see ;)

I love the natural way of drifting this game offers, it is so precise and thrilling.
Old Age Caravanner

Almost feels like a real car.. good physics, could be better do. The small roads are damn nice to drive when you clear them. :@ And the shadow feature is awesome ofcourse.
And the official race is free. yeah ^^ (l)
And you can click in a section and get to that mapp you are in on the hdd, (track or replay), setup the graphic when you are on a track and playing. Car damage is cool becouse you see how bad you were driving sort :$ , black image in mt, auto update, download game from player page :)
and the auto gen mapper is cool. moving the map (copy, paste) unlimiter: good to have sometimes :d Fast load online. and its fun to drive so the good and bad is even i think but I give it a rating of 8 of 10 SPIDERS becouse i both build maps and drive offline/online.

Mapping 5
Driving 8
Fun 10
Graphic 9
Last edited by SPIDER,
Beetle Racer
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem