Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Graphic cards new and old 
Graphic cards new and old
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Graphic cards new and old  
hello everyone

hit abit of a problem this morning ! no more gaming on TM or TM2 as i have lost my Graphic card its old and gone to heaven now :(
lucky for me i had a older one but no good for gaming on... ;)

so what am i asking is for your views on other cards..i have been offered a EVGA GTX460 cheap but not too cheap
anyone running that card here on TM2 ?

at this time of year i do not want to blow my cash away on very top spec stuff
feed back please guys

best wishes wraith

ps links to other sites for cost is more than welcome :)
nope the game did not kill it..think all the building work going on in my house did not help as pc is not covered up !
Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

mmmm come on guys alittle help would be nice :(
just had a shock gtx460 is alot dear than a 550 which is alot newer...mmm
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

Try something by ATI, the computer component market tends to shift back and forth between the two major brands and currently ATI has some really good cards in the form of the Raedon HD 6000 series. If you can't get a 6880 or something along those lines, try for a 5700 series.

If you must have nVidia, the GTX 550 is a good card, but don't underestimate nVidia's old GeForce 9800GTX - it's still a good card until you can get something more powerful.
Rise from the ashes!

9800 GTX+ is what's in my machine right now. It's the weakest component of my computer, but I get a 7.0 for Windows Experience Index in graphics. (everything else is higher). It's a few years old, but can still hold its own.
Sports Saloon Racer

Maybe I should post here since I have the GTX 460 that you mentioned.

From my ManiaPlanet forum signature... here's my system stats... (I had it in my sig there for easy access by the devs during the beta):

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Rev3.1
CPU: Core i7 2600K
GFX: EVGA GTX 460
Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600
System Drive: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB
Sound: Realtek ALC892
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932.

And here's my ManiaPlanet settings (right click... open in new tab to see larger):

The screenshot says I run at 1600x900 windowed... but that's just how I start the game. It makes it easier for tabbing between windows. When I'm actually playing, I always ALT+ENTER to go fullscreen.... which is 1920x1200 resolution (native for my 23" LCD). As the screenshot shows, I use High Definition textures.

The biggest track I have is a 3 minute 12500c track in sunrise mood and I get around 45-60fps on it all the way through the track. Very smooth, probably due to motion blur... as anything under 60fps in TMF felt really jittery (cause I refused to use motion blur as it was bad in loops). Maybe it's an unfair comparison anyway, because I was using a different card when I played TMF.

I get around 60-80fps while driving smaller tracks like my own Tortilla Chip Raceway.

I get 120fps in the editor (not that fps matters much there).
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

I could second the GeForce 9800 GTX+. For me, it comes up as a 7.0 in rating on Windows Experience Index for me as well, much higher than the rest of my old equipment I run my PC on.

It still works very well for TMF, and TM2 if you've got a good processor to go with it. You might want something better though if you are planning to play other modern PC games. ;) In that case, the 460 seems like a good idea.
Last edited by NinjAstar,
G-kart Racer

thankyou guys for all your replies

hopefully a 460 should be at my door on tuesday, then i can play on tm2 again

best wishes wraith
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

mmm 9800 gtx i have a one them it went off, but sadly after modding its case i could not return it...
so its sitting in its box looking brand new, with a fault on it...
put it in the pc and it will not boot up, so i do not know whats wrong with it..can not update the drivers or anything
worked fine for over a year
Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

thanks for your help just got the new card today...BUT i need more help..ok its a 460 gtx, but its says it needs 2x6pin power, the leads which came with it..but each one as 2 plugs on each lead make 4 power plugs in total..does anyone know, if i connect all 4 or just 2..i have tried it both ways and it works both ways, but i do not want to have 4 power leads going into it, if they are not needed
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

I don't quite understand your problem.

If it works, why mess with it?
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem