Location: Home  Community Forums  MX Events  MTC September 2016: Bring Your Own Physics [UPDATE] 
MTC September 2016: Bring Your Own Physics [UPDATE]
Page: 1 of 7
Post Reply  0 Observer
MTC September 2016: Bring Your Own Physics [UPDATE]  

UPDATE: A bug was found, and going for a fix to be released tomorrow (17th). The deadline will be pushed back to the 21st. It seems to not be a bug. Make sure that you save right after validating. The deadline is still the 21st.

Hi! I'm Realspace, and I'm managing this month's MTC. Surprise!

This MTC has a couple things different than most MTCs, so here's a quick run down:

• This is my first time managing a MTC, so osaka is acting as a secondary manager in regards to things like if maps follow the rules and related subjects.
  • This MTC has it's own title pack (the link is at the end of this post). It is the official titlepack for this MTC.

Anyway, on to the theme itself:

This MTC theme revolves around a custom map type and mode, written by me for TM2. It's included with the titlepack, and what it does is it lets you, the map maker, to change some of the handling physics of the car. If you ever saw (or played on) a "low-gravity" server, you know what I'm talking about. If you want a map with low gravity, sure, you can do that. You want the car to turn more slowly to add challenge? Sure, why not. Maybe you want the car to be incapable of outrunning the Coast car from TMUF. I don't know why you'd want to do that, but hey, you can do it. More info on what the maptype/mode does and it's quirks will be in a secondary post. Anyway, on to the rules:

• You must use the official titlepack.
  • Your map has to be between 20 seconds and 1 minute and 15 seconds long.
  • The map should not be difficult, as it will mainly be played online (explained in secondary post). Rule of thumb would be this: If an average player can't do a half-way decent run in about 3-5 minutes, it's probably too hard.
  • You must be able to finish from starting at any respawnable checkpoint. If at any checkpoint you can't finish the map without restarting the entire map, the map is automatically disqualified until the issue is resolved.
  • The map should noticeably change at least one of the settings. If this isn't the case, then the map is automatically DQ'd.
  • Multilap maps are fine. Keep the total time to finish under the standard time limit rules. This is counting all laps, mind you.
  • No custom titlepacks (other than the offical MTC one) or embedded objects. The offical MTC titlepack has some custom blocks included. If you want to use those, that's fine, just don't turn on the "embed objects" setting.
  • Mixmapping is fine.
  • This is more of a suggestion, but anyway: Mediatracker isn't really judged here. The titlepack's solo mode is basically like Multiplayer, and doesn't show an outro sequence. Multiplayer usually has people skipping intros (although they do play here), so if you don't want to spend a ton of time on the intro or outro, that's fine. Ingame Mediatracker should be included (loopcams, etc).

All maps should be submitted before the end of September 18 21, 2016 PDT.

Remember, top 3 get a showcase of their choice (< 10 awards), and the winner gets bragging rights.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

The titlepack can be found here: September 2016 MTC Titlepack

Update 1: The title pack is now available from the ingame store.

Sept 2017 - Updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtinj4h4dlhqeur/September2016MTC.Title.Pack.Gbx?dl=0
Last edited by eyebo,
Learner Driver

Here are some notes on the maptype/mode usage:

• If you want to work on a map or play a map in solo, make sure that the map in question is the first one you load after starting Maniaplanet. For some odd reason beyond my knowledge, in solo/editor MP will stop applying the settings until you restart MP. This issue doesn't effect online play (over the internet or LAN).
  • The map type doesn't save a validation time, it only saves that the map has been validated. I tried, but it didn't work. So when you finish the validation run, simply exit out of validation mode and save the map. You'll know it's validated when the flag icon is green. The maptype now saves author times!
  • Quick testing on the map (aka placing the car anywhere and testing) doesn't apply the settings (MP limitation), so use validation mode.
  • Make sure when you save, the validation flag is green. There are some cases where you may end up accidentally invalidating your map. I'd recommend saving right after validating.

Update 1: Since people wanted to know what objects come with the titlepack, here's what's in it:
Canyon:

Valley:

Stadium:
Last edited by Realspace,
Learner Driver

:o Now this should be interesting! Just a quick question: you alter the physics with the tool "Set Map Objectives," correct? It doesn't look like you can fiddle with them anywhere else.
MTC Host
MTC Host

That is correct, you change the settings in the "Set Map Objectives" menu. Once you hit "OK", it saves the settings as map metadata, which is how the solo and multiplayer modes in the titlepack figure out what settings to use on each map.
Learner Driver

Great idea!
Quad Bike Racer

i dont know if im stupid and blind but what is theme? just track? and do i need to use MTC or use default TM2(else i cant download somehow)
and can i use custom signs and use ferrari one?(big fan)
Last edited by mr.gmmbearz :D,
Old Age Caravanner

Yes, the theme is basically do a track exploiting the capabilities of realspace's maptype script, which is in the titlepack provided.

As for custom signs, they were never banned so why would they be ( 'w')
The Green Dude

then if its needed, and i cant download the tittlepack from dldropbox (it downloads then it closes )':)
is there some direct manialink then it should maybe work (if there is)
Old Age Caravanner

tsunami says:
then if its needed, and i cant download the tittlepack from dldropbox (it downloads then it closes )':)
is there some direct manialink then it should maybe work (if there is)
You can make the titlepack work from the download by placing the titlepack file into "Documents\Maniaplanet\Packs", then you put open the game and select a blank title box and then select this titlepack to be used. (y)
Quad Bike Racer

sounds interesting.
but can anyone please provide me with a screenshot of what objects are in the pack? (with subfolders etc..)
(valley & canyon)

it seems the title allows my own folders in the object directory. now i don't know wich are included and wich are not...
really confusing

edit

it seems that the low gravity on the serversis working fine but if I try this in the editor even after restarting maniplanet all i can change is acceleration and steering, but gravity stays unchanged..
also I hope you could increase the acceleration and steering. to make much tighter tech maps etc...
yet you can only make all enviroments into a coast feeling..

the theme is promising but if the title/ mode doesn't work properly.. sry...
also having to restart maniaplanet after each phase of the track.. sorry this is a dissapointment.

(knowing it takes my pc around 5-25minutes to open maniaplanet + 5-10 minutes freezes while loading, crashing MP while loading the titlepack 4/10 times...)

I do not think I'll make something, I hope others will.
I also hope you could improve your script whenever you got time to do it.
Last edited by FT»lolig,
Moped Racer
Page: 1 of 7 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem