Location: Home  Community Forums  General  RPG style tracks gone forever in TM2? 
RPG style tracks gone forever in TM2?
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
After building speed tracks and racing a bunch of so-called RPG tracks, I have noticed that the dynamics of TM2 is some what bias towards RPG style game play. What I mean by this is In TM1 we had hundreds among hundreds of different RPG maps to download and host on our server. We could fishtail across reverse speed mats (cant in TM2), we could skip our cars off water (not in TM2), we could brake control our vehicles in air (not in TM2). The pipes have ridgelines now making it impossible to do high speed pipe runs (TM1 they were smooth).....ect.... I can go on and on with the dynamics with TM2 compared to TM1. Now, I am not saying that TM2 is bad, I am just aggravated that it seems that Nadeo/Ubisoft designed it to discourage RPG map styles and is only encouraging speed style tracks. Is this a good assumption? Or will there be another environment with items and vehicle dynamics coming out later that reflects the "stadium" from TM1? If not, then I guess I will be going back to racing TM1 more often then TM2 becuase of the flexibilty and gameplay of RPG tracks. I am sure there are many others out there with the same questions related to this topic. Anyone have a legit answer? Dont need opinions or "I think" answers. So if any mods know, please let us know. This would be greatly appreciated knowing that there is a chance with an upcoming environment that RPG will be back in the game.

This post does not need negative feedback from those that want to bash on RPG tracks or my topic. It is only a question that maybe someone can answer. Thanks.
Learner Driver

... says:

N

O

P

E

TM2 has only been out for a couple of months and there are already a lot of RPG tracks. Builders who are into that kind of thing will improve, and learn to make new, fun challenges.
Honestly, I don't know what led you to the assumption that they wouldn't work well anymore :s

Last edited by Jet777,
Moped Racer

The genre just needs to evolve into the environment, just like it evolved into TM1. You can't expect to make something exactly the way you're used to making it without adapting to the new resources you've been given. I've heard it said that TM2 includes blocks that will allow RPGs to flourish. I think it's just a matter of getting used to what's available, and exploring more possibilities.
Sports Saloon Racer

I think it's one of the main problems why people don't like TM2: it's not like TM1. why everybody compares them?! come on, it's a new game, make smth new!
Last edited by Space,
Zimmer Racer

We don't want something new. Stadium was fine. We bought TM2 not because Stadium was inadequate or outdated but because Nadeo made it and pushed it as a sequel to everything (rofl) and discouraged people from playing TMNF with the freezone deal.

It's like Nadeo said "stop, you can't play TMNF anymore, you now need to pay us €20 to play this instead" and we fell for it because hey new stuff. And then we found out that trololol loops and walls aren't viable and there are half as many road pieces but hey new stuff.

I dabbled in RPG tracks (released one, deleted it when it became obvious people expected a story track from me instead and quit because it was too hard) but the genre has potential if you use the more advanced blocks.

What is incredibly frustrating is the auto brake. THIS IS SO GOD DAMN ANNOYING. Jump across a gap, touch the wall at the other side, and you automatically drift and go off the fucking platform again.

That and without blockmixing you are forced to make a track that doesn't look like your game is corrupted, which means your track actually makes sense but it doesn't have all those bug-tricks that seem to be popular in RPG tracks. Tbh half of the "RPG" tracks are really just trial tracks that happen to look like something from helicopter view, and making trial tracks just got a lot harder indeed.

Here it is: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ce3d69a/n/ΞΞϮΞΞ_Nullifier.Map.Gbx
Last edited by Enai Siaion,
Moped Racer

I know that TM2 is a new game with better graphics and dynamics and I do enjoy it very much. But...it is going to be hard to incorporate the specific styles in which RPGers have come to love. Good example is detailed air jumps in which you need to control your car and land in specific locations on a map, such as little openings in walls in the distance. This can be easily done and implemented in TM1, but will be almost impossible to do in TM2. Air braking and controlling the car while jumping was a major factor overlooked in TM2. This is something that is used about 50% of the time in about 99% percent of RPG tracks. I am sure though that with the new block building details with TM2, it will provide a whole new style. But sometimes its best to incorporate things from the old and update into the new. Again, I like TM2, but I think RPG style maps as we knew them are gone. If anyone can make a true RPG map with TM2 with all the bells and whistles, please prove me wrong and show us there is potential. If not, I am sorry, but I am convinced at this point in the game, that RPG is over as we knew it. Unless in the future, a new environment and items for that environment make it possible. As for Canyon RPG's, its not possible. I do hope I am wrong though. :(
Learner Driver

Enai, I think I can add to your post as well. What about wall bounces to shoot up to a higher road/platform or across an area to another road? Your right, hitting walls in here only works against the dynamics of what were able to do in TM1. LoL, I sound like a kid whining about the little things. But I feel if it isnt broke dont fix it. If you want something new, include it and make it better.
Last edited by Red Virus,
Learner Driver

The blocks in Canyon are very well suited to RPG. It's the car's handling that's not so much. This was well expressed by the community to the developers during the beta.

Regardless, people will adapt. RPG is a style that is here to stay. It might be more popular in the next environment. The developers haven't said publicly if it will be better for RPG or not. I don't think they ever will. We'll have to wait, try it, and decide for ourselves.

In the meantime, I'll continue to play the RPGs that are released for Canyon.

Like any track in any environment, you just have to design it with the physics of that car in mind. But then you'd know that if you'd made a Snow, Desert, or Bay RPG like Golo did.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

The handling of the CanyonCar reminds me a bit of the Island handling and I have never seen an Island RPG before. Also the turning circle of the CanyonCar is ridiculously huge, even at <20 speed. The blocks of the environment are genious for RPG tracks but the car dynamics and the lack of air control are a bit against RPG tracks
Beetle Racer

There is not a lack of air control. Simply a reduction in its effects. Instead of the brake suddenly stopping the rotation of your car in the air, it takes a bit to kick in. There's still a fair amount of air control, it's just much smoother than it was in TMS & TMN(F).

The general thought behind what you said is correct though.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem