Karma & Awards
Page: 1 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer
Karma & Awards  
Is it just me or are people just being plane old lazy? or maybe TM2 is not as popular as the the previous versions!

Im not here to rant "I didn't Get Any Awards" so there is no need to to say Your track maybe poop!
Simply iv noticed the trending of lack of awards and comment to Many Author Tracks even of the most popular Authors
As an Author, its vital for feedback not only for future improvements but also for the encouragement and support in order to keep the community alive, active and supportive
Even though the new server packages support clicking to direct link the track they have played playing and are about to play it seem that not many are using this simplistic feature that has been designed to take the complexity out of trolling Mania-Exchange to find the track they just enjoyed
I look at how players are now showing their enjoyment of a track and since the implementation of Karma it has declined the trend of awards and comments
Unfortunately with Karma being Server side, an Author cant really use the good or bad rating of one server alone thus just because karma is 90% good on one server it can not guarantee that that track is what the masses enjoy and want to play more of simply because the Karma rating could be 90% bad on another server
Now maybe i am wrong but wasn't Karma originally for server admins to manage track lists to keep them good for the players?
so if the players are now using Karma to show their support to the Authors then my question is.... can Karma not be implemented into Mania-Exchange?
If an Author could now see the Grossing Karma from all server ratings then even if the player do not comment or award the track then at the very least the Author will know if their style is what the mass of players enjoy and want to race more of!

Edit: I also want to point out, if the players are not coming to Mania-Exchange to make the awards and comment and support the Authors then they are also not supporting Mania-Exchange and if they are now having to rely on Adverts to keep them afloat and no one if coming to the site to see and click the adverts they this is making it harder to keep MX alive. :(
Last edited by ripbox,
Learner Driver

ripbox says:

so if the players are now using Karma to show their support to the Authors then my question is.... can Karma not be implemented into Mania-Exchange?

No.
Because a track can be absolutely ingenious and fantastic, but may be too hard to finish adequately during a 4-6 minute round of Time Attack.
All the '--' on a server says is that the track doesn't belong there. It doesn't make it bad. Having karma as a main source of feedback on this site wouldn't make any sense at all - and if you wanted constructive feedback then what makes you think a bunch of red and green thumbs will tell the author anything?
Moped Racer

yes Jet, i understand that some hit '--' just because they find it to hard to finish because its beyond their skill level , however i think it would be a nice overall indicator to the Author of how the track is trending.
In no way shape or form do i wish for it to take place of the already implemented Awards system, however just to work along side the current system i think would boost to creativity and give the Author and indication to how their track is seen to the masses, especially where now or very few awards and comment have been made
Learner Driver

it would be pretty useless, and it was already discussed hunderds of times
Last edited by Space,
Zimmer Racer

We did discuss karma on the last two pages, yeah.

I'd love for it to be an optional thing. If you made a track specifically for use on servers, then you could turn on "karma display" on your track page and let people see how well it's doing on servers. It could be like dedimania records... just showing over in a separate box... some extra data about the track from off-site.
Site Leader

ripbox says:
Simply iv noticed the trending of lack of awards and comment to Many Author Tracks even of the most popular Authors
As an Author, its vital for feedback not only for future improvements but also for the encouragement and support in order to keep the community alive, active and supportive

I do notice there are a lot fewer awards than on TMUF TMX. The #10 best of the week only has 7 awards!

This may be due to the smaller community - everyone gravitates to the same tracks, but because there are fewer people playing this game, this means fewer awards. Or perhaps because the importance of good tracks is reduced and server play is more fun, both due to the drifting mechanic - this may remove the need for a MX community.

Either way, it's hard to figure out why a track sucks if you get no comments. Getting 24 downloads and no comments is lame: 24 is a lot compared to the usual 3 so the advertising is working, but there is something wrong with the track because this does not translate into awards. What is wrong? God knows.

The only solution so far seems to be the MTC because the judges will tell you what the problem is, at which point you will of course have lost the MTC and probably lost the next one as well.
Last edited by Enai Siaion,
Moped Racer

I agree with you on the smaller community bit. But I don't see how drifting makes MX obsolete... :p
Moped Racer

It would be nice to display karma from online servers. It will hep a lot to people who is looking for nice maps for online in this huge chaos of tracks. Sometimes awards doesn't mean the track will work online.
To people who will complaint about the negative votes, it would be an option to the author to display or not display it... So nobody will complain about it.
Quad Bike Racer

Jet777 says:
But I don't see how drifting makes MX obsolete... :p

Well in TMNF better tracks always meant more fun, and most tracks were garbage. TMX ratings were important because downloading random tracks or playing random servers was probably not going to be fun.

In canyon the track doesn't need to be perfect - you can easily take badly flowing corners by drifting well. This may reduce the need to find the very best tracks just to have a fun race. Conversely it is hard to make an eye-poppingly good track in canyon because just about anything works anyway.

Just a theory. :p
Moped Racer

I just feel without awards and comments there is no or very little encouragement to push that little but further and no encouragement for Authors to build new tracks
In life you need encouragement and appraisals because if you do not get them, then you may feel that you are not good and not appreciated even if it is the case that you are
If you are not told then you may feel that you have just wasted your time and effort and will not want to continue and if we do not continue then the community falls apart, and if the community falls apart then Nadeo becomes a negative company.

If im honest TM feels dead now.... so many players have played put down the controls within weeks of buying the game mainly because it feels dead.... (no community tracks)
I dont really thing its the game because it is fun, but more so i feel because the community is morbid (strong work i know) and not being as active as it once was in previous versions
I know that the game is new ans still slow in progress but if you throw a party and every new person threw the door only greats COS|Full speed (only example, i like this server) and no one dares to make conversation with new people and now one is willing to try new things by being constructive with new introductions to the party then there is no point in turning up

we have to remember that we are the community and we have to look after it, we have to be creative and encouraging to all members new and old because if we dont then we will drift apart and the great empire will turn to dust.
Learner Driver
Page: 1 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem