awards
Page: 21 of 36
Post Reply  0 Observer

I think your point is that with awards, your *points* can increase indefinitely with time.
G-kart Racer

Instead of quoting random words from the wikipedia article, you could just have a look at these pictures:

Exponential function:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exp.svg

Logarithmic function:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Binary_logarithm_plot_with_ticks.svg

Unlike you claim, the amount of awards that a tracks has got after x days is rather a logarithmic function, which means that each day, you get less new awards than on the previous day.

(added link tags -eyebo :cool:)
Last edited by eyebo,
Quad Bike Racer

Sriver says:

Unlike you claim, the amount of awards that a tracks has got after x days is rather a logarithmic function, which means that each day, you get less new awards than on the previous day.

Yes, becouse the track slowly fade away in the horison till the fog sweeps around it, and some lost soul can find it now and then. ^^ :cool:
Last edited by SPIDER,
Beetle Racer

You could also say that the amount of awards levels out at a certain number - just like the rating system is supposed to work. But in contrast to such a rating system, you'll never have a track that first gains awards, then loses some, gains some awards, loses some again and so on. (Except if awards get deleted, which hardly ever happens.)
Quad Bike Racer

Sriver says:
Instead of quoting random words from the wikipedia article, you could just have a look at these pictures:

Exponential function:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exp.svg

Logarithmic function:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Binary_logarithm_plot_with_ticks.svg

(added link tags -eyebo :cool:)

This is a very interesting point. Because IMO some tracks works like logarithmic function, and some works as a exponential. I mean, if a track is on the top it will recive more and more awards every time, while if a track never arrives to the top the awards stop increasing and mantain.... (then becames lineal)

I think some will works for a time like exponential, and some will works something like logarithmic (without a fixed base but similar)... But the pattern in some point changes... Obiously it will depends on quality of the track and the amount of new users joining the site.
But I think the start of the function will be exponential, and then (when most users maked his vote) it changes to logarithmic...
It would be interesting to compile some data from tracks in the top, in the middle and in the bottom for a time and try to draw a function and compare...
I have no time for doing this experiment...

Quad Bike Racer

Can you give at least one single example for a track that exponentially gets more awards every day?
Quad Bike Racer

When you first release a track it will probably look somewhat exponential, because the awards will rise quickly exponentially, but as the track ages, it will look logarithmic.
No track can stay in that exponential phase forever.
G-kart Racer

Sriver says:
Can you give at least one single example for a track that exponentially gets more awards every day?

No. I repeat, I don't have enough free time for this. I prefer waste my free time playing. :) You seem to know more than me about maths.. I just looked at tmnforever site, in most award list... It seems to me a exponential system. About 700, 400, 300, 200, 200, 200, 100... Then, in about 100 awards it seems to stabilice the diferences and goes down slowly... Isn't that a exponential function?

Quad Bike Racer

DeMeNs says:
Sriver says:

No. I repeat, I don't have enough free time for this. I prefer waste my free time playing. :) You seem to know more than me about maths.. I just looked at tmnforever site, in most award list... It seems to me a exponential system. About 700, 400, 300, 200, 200, 200, 100... Then, in about 100 awards it seems to stabilice the diferences and goes down slowly... Isn't that a exponential function?

He meant A TRACK which exponentially GETS MORE AWARDS EVERY DAY
Beetle Racer

Exactly.

And about the fact that there are a lot of tracks with a few awards but only a few tracks with a lot of awards:
Well, what do you expect? It's a fact that most people using this site (and the previous TMX sites) build tracks that we regard as 'bad'. Of course, 'masterpieces' are rare while there are tons of 'crap' tracks.
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 21 of 36 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem