GPS again :)
Page: 1 of 5
Post Reply  0 Observer
GPS again :)  
Yo Guys...

Why do soooo many guys insist calling a guide car GPS ????? It is NOT an example of GPS!!!
It is a guide car or route car or whatever but it aint GPS...

and while im on the subject = forced watching of a guide car is totally abhorrent to me... I may just want to relax at the start line without the intrusion of yet another replay of the guide car....

OR near the end of the time limit i may wish to do wheelies close to the start...

So c'mon authors = stop misnaming things and forcing what you may think is desirable on us,, but many of us think is totally inappropriate... That goes for forced cams too :) and text in middle of screen..

So = having bitched about it i leave you to mend yr sloppy ways..

Cheeerrrrrrrsssssssss Axon / atozix... :))))))))))))))))))))))

The universe is all right here. !

Learner Driver

What you might find to a rain on your parade might be something that other users are proud to present, and still others will enjoy driving. The second an author stops making what he wants and starts building what he thinks will be most popularly accepted is the second that his personal style dies. Personally, I build what I want to build and enjoy driving, and if people don't like it, it's not my problem.

As far as GPS is concerned, it's a naming convention that's most likely run too deep to change at this point.
Sports Saloon Racer

GPS - Global Positioning System: it's a system that tells you where to position your car. :p

I also dislike maps that use "wait for gps". I am often scouting the map with the free cam, and then suddenly it shows the GPS, which is always annoying. But sometimes it's hard to find a place to put the GPS activation, for example with tracks that use the GP start.
G-kart Racer

GPS is called like this in TM for like 3 years already (maybe more? dunno), so don't think it can be really changed any more. and if you dislike it, just use other name (like "demo" or "ghost"). do you really care what others use?
Zimmer Racer

i know full well that my opinion probably wont change anything... but i just dislike double speak or wrong speak where one is just not using correct werds... unlike my atrocious mispeling on purpose.. :)

sorta like the embedded double negatives that so commonly abound eg.. the famous song i can't get no satisfaction .... or i aint done nothin.... which logically are pretty well diametrically opposed to the actual meaning intended... but sloppy minds allowed this crude invasion to occur and persist...

so as yu can sea = i am linguistically activated but knot particularly spellling orientated... though i will hasten to point out that i usually do no the correct spelling but choose to deviate from the norm = but this deviation still maintains the correct meaning when taken in context. :)

so there ya go = and i really dont care all that much about others doings and beliefs but have simply mentioned a few of my own pecadillos which sounds far better than idiosycrasies...

pecadillos are much cuter because they seem to inherently bring to mind cute armadillos peeking out of pockets or resting contentedly on ones shoulder..

cc aa ;)
Learner Driver

atozix says:
i know full well that my opinion probably wont change anything... but i just dislike double speak or wrong speak where one is just not using correct werds... unlike my atrocious mispeling on purpose.. :)

Wait that arent yur good langage skil
Old Age Caravanner

taint nuthin rong wth my landguage skils ... :)
Learner Driver

well my GPS in my car tells me the route, like 1 mile ahead turn right, 0.5 miles turn right, it also shows a thin blue line on the route, and if i have drove the route before hand, you can set it to drive the route, example like the guide course car in tm2 ghost..
so you think we should change the GPS saying to

GCC = Guide Course Car
TCC = Track Course Car
GTC = Ghost Track Car
IR = Instant Replay
IRR = Instant Replay Route
IGR = Instant Ghost Replay
GTD = Ghost Test Dummy lol
AID = Artifical Intelligence Driver lol

but to be honest i would think alot of gamers all know what the GPS stands for, not sure if people would call it something else, as i think this was said sometime ago in the forums on TMX approx for tmu not sure on that tho..someone can quote me on that..

As for the ghost GPS on my builds i put then off to one side of the start line anyway...so you can sit there as long as you like...

Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

GPS is intuitive. When I see "GPS", I immediately know... "oh this is going to tell me where to go". I don't know in which manner it will tell me, but it will give me information about the intended route.

Originally GPS didn't have a ghost car with it. That wasn't even possible until early 2008 with the introduction of the Forever update. So how did people do GPSes back then? They simply flew the route with a camera and a series of keyframes. It was actually a lot faster to get an overview of the route than sitting and watching a car drive the entire route. Only bad thing is that you couldn't see "how" the car drove the route... like how it took transitions and stuff.

I do occasionally see some authors who share your disillusion with the naming convention GPS for a ghost car... and I see them using "ghost" or "guide car" or something like that. GPS will probably continue to be the preferred way to refer to it though.

Personally, I don't even add GPS to 99% of my tracks. I don't really see a need. If the track is made well, the driver will see where to go as he drives. The only times I really appreciate a GPS is on a track with multiple reuses or some really confusing and open parts. Then again, for some incredibly difficult tracks like trial or RPG maps... I really frown on seeing a GPS because the object of the track is for the driver to figure out where to go. If you spoon feed him, all the fun is lost.
Site Leader

Space says:
GPS is called like this in TM for like 3 years already (maybe more? dunno)

Some one told me once that using the word GPS to denote the help vehicle originated with Panis and this track. I don't know for sure but it makes sense that if Panis did something then everyone would want to do it.
Beetle Racer
Page: 1 of 5 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem