GPS again :)
Page: 3 of 5
Post Reply  0 Observer

ok i vote to close this then +1 whatever the maker of the track wants he will add ;)
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

If you're going to gripe about GPS, you must gripe about nearly every GPS device on the market. In the strictest sense, a GPS should only tell you your exact location and nothing else.

But, at least with everyone I know, GPS has come to be be slang for navigation devices. If you say you'll use your GPS to find a location, it's quickly recognized that you're using a device that tells your location and also has some navigation software that will help you get to your destination.

The GPS in a TM track has a very similar goal. It starts at your current location (the start line, or very close to it), and shows the entire route. Now, it doesn't usually show it in a map overlay with lines over the blocks for the route. That would be hard to reference as you drove the track. Usually your focusing on the road and can't be looking away at some guidance. So you're given the guidance beforehand and are expected to remember the route based on a preview of it by your navigation device. In this case, the navigation device shows a view of the route from your perspective as a driver, and makes it easy to remember the route based on landmarks, etc.

tl;dr? GPS is the perfect term for what we use in our TM tracks. No change in definition needed.
Site Leader

a very good point eyebo. this had never occurred to me. :o
Beetle Racer

Well as long as it's clear use whatever. I personally like Preview and Guide Car works for those that can't sleep at night knowing someone used GPS for a prerecorded replay(there's another for you :p). I made a Police Video in my last track =p A little variety never hurts ;)

I kind of like eyebo's Navigation Software or even better how about a longer explanation like "If you wish to see an example of how to navigate the track please proceed 10m behind your current location" 8-|
Last edited by s8ndm8n,
Space Cowboy

That pretty much summarizes it.
Site Leader

eyebo says:
That pretty much summarizes it.

finds else where lol..to be honest i have never went elsewhere, with my Garmin, but my friend as a tom tom
his sent him on a route which was a extra 100 miles lol..and other point took him about 3 miles away from where wanted to be..
read a story once a guy lived near a local food store, for the fun he tried it out to find the store, turn out it only took him
to the ferry and over to ireland lol...then there was another where he nearly went over a cliff on the side of the road..and i know this road beacuse i also travel it alot, but i have no problems with sharp right over cliff ! lol
Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

So, are you saying that GPS should be called Garmin? :p
Sports Saloon Racer

'Back for Garmin'.

Sounds catchy :)
Quad Bike Racer

Oh well, I guess I am at a fault too for forcing GPS at bthe start. Better late than never, I'll definitely change it from next map onwards. I didn't know people were getting that bugged.

Anyways, I'll have figure out what to do on tracks starting with GP and Platform starts where you can't go back, maybe drive left or right or something.

And about what to call it, well GPS kind of got imbedded into our gaming brains since a long time. Can we change it? yes we cann, I'll figure out something nice like WMT - Watch My Tail to see how to drive this map :p
Old Age Caravanner

If you don't like 'GPS', call it 'Demo' instead. There, I fixed it.
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 3 of 5 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem