Location: Home  Community Forums  MX Events  BASCO 2014 Stage 1 - Tobbe won [Page 6] 
BASCO 2014 Stage 1 - Tobbe won [Page 6]
Page: 5 of 6
Post Reply  0 Observer

haenry says:
You have to give yourself a 10.
The reason is that the votes will cancel each other out, if everyone votes the same, which happens to be a 10 in our case.
And if you don't vote, well you have a 10 less :p

well I prefer the 10 less and be honest in judging the maps...
I judged the maps in order from wich one I can see fit the best on the 1st spot, if there are parts imo better than mine than they are....

I will not give my own map if it is lesser than anyother a higher score...

this is how I think, and giving your self a 10 is just pathetic uless its an amazing part... but imo you should give honest point to everyone even your own part...

edit: how can this even be fair.... you say if you don't vote 10 on your own map you get a 10 less? this just seems so not right you know... its like giving a penalty to those who are honest...

anyways I 've seen a few entry's that fit way better than mine so I don't care about this stage.
but if this is the way you are going to handle this I think the next stages will not be that honest at all...
Last edited by FT»lolig,
Moped Racer

=> voted
Last edited by FT»Tobbe,
Old Age Caravanner

So you don't have the tiniest bit of Kazakhstan in your game?

Now seriously, since that's an inside joke with my sis.

Well, you can't expect all of us to be completely fair in a competition, and people also tend to grade their own stuff better. It's a widespread saying that everything tastes better when you cook it yourself. Being one's biggest critic isn't that common of a perk, and it also puts you at a disadvantage if it's true. Haen decided to bypass that problem by stating in the judging rules that you give your own map a 10, hence cancelling all 10 point scores. He could've also said to give it a 0, or a 5, or a 9.243. The idea is to have all of us give our own map the same score so that's not a factor - If you're your biggest critic you don't have to carry your own weight on the judging, and if you're particularly fond of your craft you don't make the rest carry your weight in their judging. Maybe it would've been more fair if he made us give ourselves a 0, but maybe he didn't think that right away because he is one of those people who tend to grade his own stuff better (not implying anything, just showing a possible case). All of us giving our own start the same score is fair. Judging our own start is not fair. Period.

tl;dr: I'm going to rate my shit 10 if that makes me win the contest wtf is you doing if you don't do the same.
The Green Dude

The 10 points also motivate the mappers to actually judge. So if you don't judge you get a disandvantage. Or you could see it as a reward for judging.
Old Age Caravanner

Very good explanation osaka. You exactly :build: my point!

Yes adsun, you are right. I chose 10 points, as it more motivating and rewarding!
Let's go through the "1 point"-option in mind:
If every builder voted, all 1-point votes would cancel each other out, which is exactly what we want.
But imagine one builder did not vote. Then he has one 1-point vote less, giving him an advantage, as the average vote is definitely higher than 1. Thus voting suddenly gives you a disadvantage, if not everyone votes, which I think is very unfair ;)

lolig, if you really want to give yourself a lower score, okay go for it. But in the end I will just manipulate your vote for your own map and set it to 10 points, so that everything can cancel each other out correctly.
It's a RULE, which exists to make the cancellation work because I don't want votes for own maps, as they are "unfair" as we all know, especially for honest people ;)
Last edited by haenry,
gado is a

haenry says:
Very good explanation osaka. You exactly :build: my point!

Yes adsun, you are right. I chose 10 points, as it more motivating and rewarding!
Let's go through the "1 point"-option in mind:
If every builder voted, all 1-point votes would cancel each other out, which is exactly what we want.
But imagine one builder did not vote. Then he has one 1-point vote less, giving him an advantage, as the average vote is definitely higher than 1. Thus voting suddenly gives you a disadvantage, if not everyone votes, which I think is very unfair ;)

lolig, if you really want to give yourself a lower score, okay go for it. But in the end I will just manipulate your vote for your own map and set it to 10 points, so that everything can cancel each other out correctly.
It's a RULE, which exists to make the cancellation work because I don't want votes for own maps, as they are "unfair" as we all know, especially for honest people ;)

ok :p well I gave my own map an 8, since it is a bit harder than the rest :p anyways i didn't copy the edit link :s
Moped Racer

I'll change the 8 to a 10 for you (y)
gado is a

Well I of course get the idea, but for me there are 2 options:
voting the best for me: means voting everyone else 1 and mine 10 (even if everyone else votes also 10 and votes fair for other tracks it would be an advantage lowering the results for everyone else)

or

voting fair which means I refuse to vote my own track with 10 when I see better ones around.

(Nethertheless you can ofc. change my vote in the end to a 10 and I get the idea of builders being able to vote themselves and I like the idea... but aside that you'll always have trouble with judging systems no matter what - in this case for example: everyone gives him-/herself 10 pts. and votes fair on other tracks: people vote differently, some are very strict means lower points in general and other people are more likely to give higher points; thinking this further the one's having a more strict line of voting have better chances of winning [they get higher scores from other people and give lower scores for them {speaking of tracks which are similar as good}].
Another example [offtopic] would be the last MTC, looking at the votes you can see osaka voted pretty high score for all maps except 1 [42.5-49.5] making the differences in the votes pretty small and influence of osaka's votes low. It's not that big of a deal and osaka's choice to vote like that, but in the end it could make difference [statistically not fair])

TL;DR: you can't make votes fair at all, so try to make the best way possible and Haenry is in charge to make the choice. :p
G-kart Racer

exactly, mazer!
There is no perfect system! So let's try to find at least the less worst system or one, which is pretty far away from an unfair system (y)
EDIT: i voted too :done:
Last edited by haenry,
gado is a

I voted. Nice parts everybody!
Old Age Caravanner
Page: 5 of 6 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem