Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Other TM² environments, new blocks? 
Other TM² environments, new blocks?
Page: 13 of 14
Post Reply  0 Observer

Very well explained eyebo...wish Nadeo had ur communication skills ;)
Moped Racer

I played a trial map by allied tonight that he made almost entirely out of the new Canyon blocks. Really fun!!! (y)
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Here's a discussion I had on my clan forum and on the maniaplanet forum. I dont think many people read it (only 4 people read my clan posts) so Im reposting it. It's about mpbc but i think the same about MP2 Objects.

Somewhere in April 2012:

"ripbox" says:
mpbc, short for ManiaPlanet Block Compiler, is a new tool that allows you to create your own blocks from scratch and import them into TrackMania 2. Currently it supports the following....

"GanjaRider" says:
Cool Stuff! Cant wait to see more, really! But i dont want this to become official. I know its gonna be hard to explain my point. Well i tried on the maniaplanet forum:

------------------

"arc_" says:
One restriction is that to use the blocks ingame, you need TM2Unlimiter... TM2Unlimiter lifts this restriction. If you want to use custom blocks without having to install TM2Unlimiter, petition Nadeo to remove it.

"GanjaRider" says:

I want to petition Nadeo not to remove it.

A trackbuilders view:

In the beginning of TM, mediatracker wasnt a thing. People didnt care if a track had an intro. After a while though a track without MT wasnt taken serious. So all trackbuilders had to jump the MT train or see their track fail. Personally i got to the point that i spent just as much time on the MT as actually building the track. And sure its satisfying to make good MT but i knew i could have spent that time on building and perhaps making my track even better. Luckely we're at the point again that MT is less important. Ask yourself how many times do you skip an intro when you race online? I bet 90%! I also do it! So today I make my intros 6 seconds and i hear noone complain. And I can spend more time on actual building again yay.

So Nadeo please dont repeat history by allowing custom blocks. I dont want to spend more time pimping a track than actually building a track. You guys have fun though! :thumbsup:

"TGYoshi" says:
^ This is just like a texture mod, totally optional but can add something extra.
Who complains about not having a texture mod? Nobody does.

"GanjaRider" says:
Not a complaint, just a concern. And personally I dont have a problem at all with custom blocks and I cant wait to see what people do with it in tm2unlimiter. Im just looking at it from the community's perspective. Its an option now but if its officially allowed it could be that trackbuilders will have to jump the custom block train even if they dont want to or know how. But u make a point. I dont think using a texture mod has ever been a must by the community so maybe custom scenery blocks wont be either. Custom road blocks on the other hand would really divide trackbuilders.

I dont wanna sound too complanish but I just think tm should be simple and the same for everyone. The cars are simple and the same to not disadvantage players and so should be the editor. Maybe I just play TM for too long and became conservative about it, ill leave it at that.

------------------

"GanjaRider" says:
I dont have a problem with new scenery/road blocks in the official game but it should be a patch by nadeo. Nadeo is the instrument builder. The community uses that instrument to create. Thats how its been and always should be. Its fairest for everyone.

------------------

"GanjaRider" says:
I dont want to stop MPBC but it should stay restricted and behind TM2Unlimiter so only a bunch of geeks will use it. It should stay 'offline' and never polute servers. It should never reach all players because it would divide the community. And I'm afraid amateur custom road blocks will ruin the gameplay. So MPBC should stay 'underground'.

My ideal track editor is one without bells and whistles. I just want to focus on building a track. The mediatracker is aready a distraction for me but I have to use it because it's a must by the community. Adding custom blocks would be an even bigger distraction of actually building a good track. So I think the editor should stay simple.

But I do have some road blocks on my wishlist since the beta. So I'm open to new blocks made by Nadeo. And maybe its cool if Nadeo selects some of the best blocks made by players and add those too but not too much. And it should be an official patch.

I just want all trackbuilders to have a fair chance to get into the Best Of The Week on (T)MX. And quality Canyon race tracks are still hard to find (I also hear this complaint in server chat) so I think people should try even harder on actual track building than on more bells and whistles.
Quad Bike Racer

"arc_" says:
One restriction is that to use the blocks ingame, you need TM2Unlimiter... TM2Unlimiter lifts this restriction. If you want to use custom blocks without having to install TM2Unlimiter, petition Nadeo to remove it.

Apparently this isn't true anymore.

Someone on the mpbc topic on MP forums said custom blocks work without Unlimiter now. Some confirmation would be nice though.

"GanjaRider" says:
I dont have a problem with new scenery/road blocks in the official game but it should be a patch by nadeo. Nadeo is the instrument builder. The community uses that instrument to create. Thats how its been and always should be. Its fairest for everyone.

I agree. In the Canyon title, new blocks should only be presented by Nadeo.

However, custom objects and blocks in other titles would be really cool. Hylis already pointed out in one of his blog posts that the ability to add new objects in custom Titles is coming. The main thing is that when we open the game, we want to know what we can expect.

"GanjaRider" says:
I dont want to stop MPBC but it should stay restricted and behind TM2Unlimiter so only a bunch of geeks will use it. It should stay 'offline' and never polute servers.

I'd only agree with this if it caused crashes on servers, for either the server or people's clients who aren't running tm2unlimiter.

"GanjaRider" says:
It should never reach all players because it would divide the community. And I'm afraid amateur custom road blocks will ruin the gameplay. So MPBC should stay 'underground'.

I feared the worst when tmunlimiter first came out for TMF. I feared the worst when EnvMix came out for TMF. I thought these things, especially EnvMix, would destroy the spirit of the game. Maybe they did in some sense, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it could be. People still built tracks in their native environments. People still built tracks without blockmixing, or with very measured use of mixing.

"GanjaRider" says:
My ideal track editor is one without bells and whistles. I just want to focus on building a track.

+1!!! I don't mind if other stuff is there. But it's nice if you can just ignore it and build something in a pure building/creative environment.

"GanjaRider" says:
The mediatracker is aready a distraction for me but I have to use it because it's a must by the community.

I believe this is a wrong statement. Over the past 3 years there are dozens of track builders that have got sick of MediaTracker. For the vast majority of "race" tracks, it doesn't add anything of value to the track. Most of my tracks in TM2 have no MediaTracker at all. People still drive them, hunt them, award them. A lack of MT doesn't hold them back. I'm not against MediaTracker. It's a great tool, and I love to use it to make cool cameras, to take screenshots, and make videos. I love to see when other people come up with cool stuff too, especially people like doben who use it very creatively. But it's not required anymore. No one will scoff at you for not using it. And if they do, then they're stuck in some mentality of the past.

"GanjaRider" says:
Adding custom blocks would be an even bigger distraction of actually building a good track. So I think the editor should stay simple.

I do agree with this. Instead of coming up with creative solutions, we become more and more tempted to use the easy solution, a custom block, a blockmix, etc.
Site Leader

I'd go for custom blocks. If there is a way to share them.
There could be a section on mx where people upload their pieces (and maybe get awards for them) so that other authors can use them in their tracks.

I'd probably never build my own custom blocks but I'd love to see what people create and I'm pretty sure there will be good pieces for everyone. From very simple down-to-earth pieces/pragmatic solutions up to crazy platform and stunt pieces that don't belong in a regular race track.

There could even be categories made on mx.. such as

Style: Race - Jump - Stunt - Scenery

Something like this..
Very soon there could be a hitlist of pieces that everyone will enjoy and nobody wants to miss. and people will ask "how the heck wasn't this piece there in the game from the beginning". :p
..wasn't me

it's maniapark's work imho, not mx's.
Zimmer Racer

Space says:
it's maniapark's work imho, not mx's.

It is indeed. MP are already prepared for block hosting. We aren't.
Deep fried

Thanks for your replies eyebo. Im glad you agreed with most things. :)

eyebo says:
I agree. In the Canyon title, new blocks should only be presented by Nadeo.
However, custom objects and blocks in other titles would be really cool. Hylis already pointed out in one of his blog posts that the ability to add new objects in custom Titles is coming. The main thing is that when we open the game, we want to know what we can expect.

Yeah I dont see a problem for custom SM blocks. But it can wait cause we have enough to discover with the current blocks.

eyebo says:
"GanjaRider" says:
The mediatracker is aready a distraction for me but I have to use it because it's a must by the community.
I believe this is a wrong statement...

Oops I wasnt very consistent. On the maniaplanet forum I said "Luckely we're at the point again that MT is less important". And then on my clan forum I said "The mediatracker is aready a distraction for me but I have to use it because it's a must by the community". I should have said the mediatracker was a must by the community. And its good to hear you confirm that. (y)
Quad Bike Racer

Help me!
Where can i download blocks? o_o
Learner Driver

nowhere yet.
Zimmer Racer
Page: 13 of 14 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem