Location: Home  Community Forums  MX Events  BASCO 2012 - Stage 5 [Results on page 9!] 
BASCO 2012 - Stage 5 [Results on page 9!]
Page: 11 of 12
Post Reply  0 Observer

I judged two MTCs (~40 and ~25 tracks, both times volunteer), so I know what is that.
Last edited by Space,
Zimmer Racer

Space says:
for next basco - better judges please. not moderators.

Please come with constructive feedback so we can do better next time :)

KekX says:

eyebo and me = moderators
haenry, chuckie, marti = no moderators
Does it djent?

Space says:
I judged two MTCs (~40 and ~25 tracks, both times volunteer), so I know what is that.

In this case, sorry for saying you should do it yourself. But why should moderators not be as experienced in judging as others? And by saying the judges failed, you imply that tcq's part must be bad, because the judges made a wrong decision. The point is, to say you don't like a part and to say the part is bad are two completely different things. So of course it's a matter of disrespect to tcq and to the moderators.
Moped Racer

I've judged the second most of any judge for the MTCs on United... and I started long before I was a moderator. I never once purposefully checked for cuts in any maps as a basis for scoring them. I was never told to.

I've only checked for the most obvious shortcuts that literally stared me in the face while driving the route (and in those cases, the cuts didn't affect my scores... they only affected the possible disqualification of the map if it made it under the required timelimit).

You can't hold it against judges to not find cuts. We're focusing on the route, not how to cheat the map.

Obviously I hate cuts, but if I had to spend the whole time trying to figure out how to take shortcuts on the map instead of driving the actual thing, I'd probably never finish judging.

Maybe I'm not the best judge in the world, but I try to be consistent with my scoring, and I've played enough maps to know what's fun for me. I can't do any better than that. If my best isn't good enough, you can always find someone else.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Space says:
now i'm intolerant bitch? reasons of not liking were already said by other people.

It's the way you expressed your opinion.

Besides the disrespect towards tcq, you're basically saying "you all have no idea" while you aren't even participating in the contest. That's extremely bold if not absurd. Give me one reason why a moderator shouldn't be a good judge. Also, only because the judges don't agree with you doesn't mean they're doing a bad job. Because that's what you're saying.

.. anyway, I guess we should just move on to the final stage. As some busy people already did. :)
G-kart Racer

Aside from the fact that I disagree with every judge that didn't put me in first place, I also think the S5 winner is too hard for the point in the track where it appears. No one likes a surprise killer turn after 40 seconds. At least put the hard part at the beginning!
Moped Racer

Enai Siaion says:
No one likes a surprise killer turn after 40 seconds. At least put the hard part at the beginning!

and that is the reason why i think tcq shouldn't have won s5
Quad Bike Racer

Don't forget tcq is now a judge. So say goodbye to your S6 chances. :p
Moped Racer

I can't really believe how serious some guys take all of this. It is all meant to be fun, isn't it?
However, judging is not that easy as some expect.
Let us take a look at the perfect judge: The perfect judge would gather together all personal tastes of every single community member and then draw an average conclusion from those. After this "average taste" he should judge the tracks.
Now think about it. Is this realistic?
rhetorical question. NO!
Therefore we have more than one judge, so that every judge can judge after his personal taste. The result of this judging is as near to the "average taste" as possible.
So it's okay, when some judges have completely different results than others because it's their personal taste. What counts is the result: A track, which is liked by the mass (judges as a small amount of representatives of the "mass")

However, let's just go in with stage 6 now :build:
Enai Siaion says:
Don't forget tcq is now a judge. So say goodbye to your S6 chances. :p

and those sentences make no sense at all. tcq just represents one kind of taste. (I share a similar taste too, btw :p )
Last edited by haenry,
gado is a

haenry says:
The result of this judging is as near to the "average taste" as possible.
<...> What counts is the result: A track, which is liked by the mass (judges as a small amount of representatives of the "mass")

"average mass" drives one track once or twice I think (until finish I mean)...

eyebo says:
tcq's part <...> is really tight, but fun once you get the right line.

and when you get it? "average player" will give up after few tries and will move on to another track. I counted in this thread - 4 more players didn't like that part too...
I may be wrong about how average player drives tracks, but online it should be similar to what I said.
Zimmer Racer
Page: 11 of 12 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem